Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ips stuck - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

ips stuck

Driving home this afternoon the gearbox made a clunk the car then stuck in 3rd gear, the engine management light came on and also the gearbox light came on I have turned the car off and the car will now exchange gears but is continuing to keep the light on.......I've just changed battery......

Anyone got any idea?

Ta

G

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is there an easy way to read the codes without an OBD reader?.... I've cycled through five ignitions and the light unfortunately is still on

it changes perfectly through the gears up and down and reverse but the light is remaining on

Mine did this a few weeks ago, I disconnected the battery and it reset itself fortunately as I was 300 miles from home.

I've bought an OBD reader and the code is still showing, but it hasn't reoccurred so I haven't taken it anywhere to get checked out.

Ok, I had a similar problem with a 2013 IPS (it was also grey), it would lock up in gear for no apparent reason. The dealer would get it going but couldn't diagnose the cause of the problem, Lotus sent a technician to the dealer but he couldn't give me any assurance it wouldn't happen again. In the end I let the dealer off the hook and part exchanged it for their manual demonstrator. It was an unnecessary expense but I couldn't have a car that would let me down without warning.

I appreciate this is not helping much and I hope it's not the same car, disconnecting the battery would sometimes solve it but more often than not it needed recovering back to the dealer. I think it was a software issue but I'm no mechanic. I don't have any paperwork now but would probably recognise the reg if you think it might be the same car.

I'm late with an update...sorry.....

Got to the car this morning and all OK....

All dash lights off.....I thought I'd started the car enough times yesterday to pass the required number of starts after the event.....but maybe I didn't.....anyway......I've ordered an ODB2 interface/dongle.......I'll have a look later

Thanks for all the help guys....:thumbsup:

Bibs

I used both hands for good measure.....

I opened the car, started the car, ran it for a minute, stopped it,  removed the key , then locked the doors.....waited a minute then did the whole procedure again.......x10.......

Lol

:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this happen three or four times in the first couple of years of ownership. Since I had the transmission control software updated three years ago, it hasn’t happened at all.

it may be a coincidence of course, but the newer software certainly seemed a step up from the original.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The Evora of my friend has a problem with the shift soleniod sl1 and sl3. 5 weeks later, no news from Lotus for the parts delivery... 

My friend can't drive his car, so he is quite disappointed. 

I don't understand how something like that is possible for a car with this price tag.

Do you think that we can find these parts from someone else ? any idea ?

• 3 years later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi all - sorry to resurrect an old thread but I now have this problem (2014 Evora S IPS).

Check engine and Check Transmission (cog with exclamation mark lights) on - IPS box only runs in 3rd and reverse.

Codes showing (descriptions from the service notes) are, as you would expect :

• P0700 - Transmission Control System (MIL request)
  • P0761 - Shift Solenoid "C" Performance or Stuck Off
  • P1613 - Forced Mechanical Limp Home Position

I've cleaned the MAF sensor, and reseated the electrical connection (replacing the existing zip tie - someone's been there before!) as there are some suggestions on Google that this can help. Cleared the codes, but they and the limp home mode recur after around 100yds of driving.

It's booked into Stratton Motors on 17th Feb, but any suggestions in the meantime welcome?

Should I be asking for a TCU software update first? They said it was all done and up to date when I bought it....

If necessary, can solenoid C (part 17, SL3) be changed with the engine/gearbox in situ?

Edit : Standard Lotus labour time to replace one or all of the solenoids is 1.7 hours so I hope/guess not!

66437_1601656818_Service_Parts_List_Evora_B132T0325D-391.thumb.png.03302ebbb76d564f5f550a3e1cc3382d.png

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

When we had the stuck in gear issue was told to disconnect the battery earth lead/s for one minute on refitting earth cable was able too drive as normal although we did take car to local Lotus dealer to check all was ok.

• Like 2

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

15 hours ago, JimH said:

Hi all - sorry to resurrect an old thread but I now have this problem (2014 Evora S IPS).

Check engine and Check Transmission (cog with exclamation mark lights) on - IPS box only runs in 3rd and reverse.

I've cleaned the MAF sensor, and reseated the electrical connection (replacing the existing zip tie - someone's been there before!) as there are some suggestions on Google that this can help.

Hmmm... not sure why you cleaned the MAF sensor for those codes but it won't do any harm anyway.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Rambo said:

Hmmm... not sure why you cleaned the MAF sensor for those codes but it won't do any harm anyway.

There's a YouTube video that claims, as a possible fix (and as there's a shared wiring harness), that this can help with the issue/codes that I have. Was worth a try..... 🤣

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, JimH said:

Any suggestions in the meantime welcome?

If necessary, can solenoid C (part 17, SL3) be changed with the engine/gearbox in situ?

Edit : Standard Lotus labour time to replace one or all of the solenoids is 1.7 hours so I hope/guess not!

I'd suggest solenoid C is farked.  Or the wiring tower, possible.  You can do the solenoids and the tower from underneath with the sump off the gearbox, from memory (hence only 1.7hrs, otherwise it would be 31.7). Bit of live data diagnostics with the laptop first would be sensible.

Dave

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I'll try the battery disconnect as suggested by @DarrylV8 when it's not freezing outside but then it's over to Stratton Motors from there, thanks!

Bit of a bu33er as my Emira i4 FE should have been here by now and the Evora gone (now delayed until September...)