Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 19 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

The days will not be long enough when you go to get those bottom upright bolts out Wayne lol   :P

Great effort though, the strip down is going well, parts look pretty clean and presentable already which will / should  save you some time chap :)

• Like 1

A

Thanks Dan. Trying to draw the bolts out. Bought a hand full of unf nuts and will just keep winding them out with lots of heat and WD. I expect to take a few hours on each if I’m lucky. Bent bottom link is the reason for the strip down. Have to source one now.. 🤨

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

I think a lot of the lower link problems are due to the fact that folks in tyre bays, jack the car up on them, and less common cause would be the corner been curbed at speed imo :)

Good luck with with using the nuts to get your lower stud out, i will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you, but i do not think it will help lol,   Those bottoms studs are just to much of a nightmare to come out easily !

A

6 hours ago, Smithy111 said:

Shock and spring looks in good condition? Good luck with the lower link studs!

You were my motivation to get this done Chris. Your feed encouraged me to take a look and get it done... ✌️✌️✌️

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Good luck with with using the nuts to get your lower stud out, i will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you, but i do not think it will help lol,   Those bottoms studs are just to much of a nightmare to come out easily !

Thin cutting disc - chop the lower link out buy cutting the section of the stud out. Run down the snubber washer and bush with the grinder.

it halves the stress on the nuts - you should be able to do both sides within a couple of hours

• Like 1

Only here once

63BA81EC-3379-4AF5-BA26-7932720F0E22.jpeg

1CC49732-760E-4179-9E96-99FA6922FA31.jpeg

Bit superficial but hey that’s me. Spring and damper look kind of neat in red and black. 

Lower link stud nightmare......

On 14/09/2018 at 07:20, Barrykearley said:

Thin cutting disc - chop the lower link out buy cutting the section of the stud out. Run down the snubber washer and bush with the grinder.

it halves the stress on the nuts - you should be able to do both sides within a couple of hours

Tried to pull them out in one piece Barry. Big mistake. Now the stud thread is stripped on one end and the rest has disappeared into the bush so can’t get back on it. Should have took your advise and cut it in half and drawn it out from either end. Pete Musgrove suggested lots of heat and time. Neither worked. Now I think I will have to cut and drill, unless you have another suggestion? 

577D7BDD-969F-4995-BE0C-5811EA1CBD91.jpeg

Whilst it may be short of what will be needed to remedy Wayne's dilemma I believe that a mix of acetone and ATF has been demonstrated as the best performing chemical method to break corroded joints free. Seems quite effective in my experience.

• Gold FFM

Brake fluid bath can be effective - stuff leaches everywhere.

id cut it now. Try rethreading the one end and going again. 

Use a puller reversed with a bolt to try and push the other side out

Only here once

TBH I've tried acetone & ATF and wasn't impressed....    I found that if I loaded the cut stud with a 3 legged puller and then heated the casting, the cut stud would move 1/2 mm each time I heated it.  But I had to reheat for each 1/2mm movement   Large alloy castings take a lot of heating and a domestic blowtorch may not get enough heat into it

It looks as if you have moved it which means you have broken the rust bond. I would soak for a couple of days and I bet it will press out much more easily. :) 

It's getting there......

Cut all the thread sticking out with a hack saw or thin disc cutter,  then use a ball joint splitter to press the remaining bits out,  as someone said a bath in a release agent or try brake fluid as Barry said.  :)

• Thanks 1

A

• Gold FFM

I'd cut the stud either side of the lower link, that way you'll be halfing the reistance of the stubborn little bugger and can concentrate on one lug at a time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

That's not gold, it's camouflage for copper grease... 

I did see your thread Steve and took a small amount of inspiration.✌️

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Robbie asked if this was Dave Eds🤩

Lucky Dave and me have broad shoulders Pete.... 

0429491A-D7D8-455F-81A7-F7388DD6C543.jpeg