Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exige - the Diff debate - Page 5 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exige - the Diff debate

• 1 year later...
On 02/09/2020 at 23:21, CRM82 said:

Shims were all out, camber was maxed both on the front and the rear. I think it was -1.6 degree front, -2.1 degrees rear. Now my garage have milled the front and I have -2.4 there, but I have not tested the car since the modification. 

Regarding sway bars, I have it on soft at the front and on medium at the rear. What do you use?

Just curious if the car still does not like trail braking after you have increased the -ve camber and tyre width?  

It improved a bit but not a drammatic change. I would say that soft pressure trail braking now works (to some extend) while medium trail braking still does not work (car does not turn).

I think perhaps it is just not possible to make this car good on trail braking, due to the weight distribution and tyre size ratio. 

However I also think this car does not need trail braking that much. The lightness allows for very late and short braking, and that gives always enough room to brake on straight line and then go fast on gas early in the turn.

• Like 1

One more question, what -ve camber and toe are you running at the rear?

I'm picking my exige in a couple of weeks, and have an alignment setting in mind (initially F -2.2 toe 0  R -1.7 toe in 3mm) which is really drawing from my personal experiences from my other cars (front and rear engined), my driving style and the experience I am learning from ppl like yourself (thank you).  Your point about the weight distribution is interesting because the weight distributions of classic 911's are very similar and it loves trail braking so I think u hit the nail in the head re the tyre size. Anyways, its certainly food for thoughts and lots for me to learn by fiddling around in time.  I think I will run 225 at the fronts and maybe no more than 275 in the rears, but if all else fails than perhaps i need to change my driving style...LOL. 

Hi again,

I don't have the paper with me now, but if my memory is not wrong I have now front -2.4 camber 0 toe, rear -2.1 camber 2 toe in. For getting -2.4 at the front I had to mill the arms, plus I milled the fiberglass whel archs to not touch with 225 Trofeo. At the rear -2.1 is the max I can get. I know others can get more than that but not on my car u fortunately. Anyway I think current camber, toe, height of car is OK. Regarding tyres I have now 225/265 Trofeo R, however they FINALLY made 215/285 size for Trofeo and I am really curious to try that because that is the original size of tyres on my car. The width of Trofeo R tyres is generally bigger than the measure i dicated, so the 215 will be probably a 220 and the 285 a 290 or so. 

Anyway, I think that we can discuss about these things for days and not get to convergence. If we really would like to get best setting out of this car we would need to rent a professional driver and mechanic on track and let they play with setting (and tyre size). Of course this would be economically inefficient plus perhaps what fits that pro driver would not fit us..

I can tell you that both the last two coaches that tried my car on the Nordschleife immediately recognized the problem with trail braking. One of them also said that perhaps it is just the controls that are too aggressive and if I would turn them fully off perhaps the problem would disappear.. but on the nordschleife I don't feel comfortable doing that. I drive in Race mode.

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

What exactly has ever failed due to a lsd install?

On 28/12/2021 at 09:04, CRM82 said:

Hi again,

I don't have the paper with me now, but if my memory is not wrong I have now front -2.4 camber 0 toe, rear -2.1 camber 2 toe in. For getting -2.4 at the front I had to mill the arms, plus I milled the fiberglass whel archs to not touch with 225 Trofeo. At the rear -2.1 is the max I can get. I know others can get more than that but not on my car u fortunately. Anyway I think current camber, toe, height of car is OK. Regarding tyres I have now 225/265 Trofeo R, however they FINALLY made 215/285 size for Trofeo and I am really curious to try that because that is the original size of tyres on my car. The width of Trofeo R tyres is generally bigger than the measure i dicated, so the 215 will be probably a 220 and the 285 a 290 or so. 

Anyway, I think that we can discuss about these things for days and not get to convergence. If we really would like to get best setting out of this car we would need to rent a professional driver and mechanic on track and let they play with setting (and tyre size). Of course this would be economically inefficient plus perhaps what fits that pro driver would not fit us..

I can tell you that both the last two coaches that tried my car on the Nordschleife immediately recognized the problem with trail braking. One of them also said that perhaps it is just the controls that are too aggressive and if I would turn them fully off perhaps the problem would disappear.. but on the nordschleife I don't feel comfortable doing that. I drive in Race mode.

What controls are on in race mode? I thought that turns things off?

No, TC still works. When in RACE MODE, you need to hold the race button for a few seconds. This switches TC on regular cars. On Cup cars, this mode takes into account potentiometer/ rotation button next to the steering wheel. You need to rotate it to the “OFF” position. Don’t ask me how I know 😂

3 hours ago, DangerousDave said:

So that yellow light with the s's on the tires indicator on the aim dash means TC still works?

Yes, but ONLY if ‘Race’ is also illuminated on the display. 

Once in ‘Race’ mode, if you hold down the button again, the stability (ESP) light will stay on, but the Race light will turn off. (Or display ‘Normal’ on an AIM dash) This shows that everything is now off. 

The reason that the stability light comes on with Race mode is that the ESP intervention is significantly reduced and it’s perfectly possible to lose control. This is especially true before the system has ‘learned’ the grip level of the circuit. 

@DangerousDave It’s also worth reading the sticky post at the top of this section called TLF on DPM. It gives a good explanation as to what Race mode actually does. 

• Like 1

Anyone knows what is the difference between the RACE mode and TC OFF with the 1% slip angle selected on the Cup cars? Is RACE mode some predetermined setting of a slip angle? Can’t find an explanation in the manual.