Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Same here, but a very retro feel about it though and all the right bits including wheels, its the colour coded bumpers that I would of changed and got stripes and turbo esprit decals straight on it :)

• Like 1

A

I think Mark sold it quickly as never got advertised other than word of mouth, unusual with both both that one and the white one having full cloth interior in red as well.

Like Andy and you say leather or half leather does suit the Esprit better and no doubt more hard wearing. Both cars seemed well preserved though!

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

2 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Like Andy and you say leather or half leather does suit the Esprit better and no doubt more hard wearing

I'd have to dispute that - well I would wouldn't I. :thumbsup:

Here's my cloth interior - made from teddy bears. I think it suits my car very well - not so keen on the red though, and I personally don't like full leather interiors.

y3mE07lFFf_1SkBKHBF26gulaWn__Vnrcpdx4-dU

The different shades of light and dark is just the way the velour is brushed, and not wear and tear. It is exactly the same today as when I bought it in June 1987, and I have done nothing to it over that time, so you could say that a cloth interior is somewhat hard wearing. I'd have thought most, if not all, 1/2 or full leather interiors would have had some of the leather splitting by now. And OK, it has been in a garage for all but two nights over the last 30 years.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

That certainly looks like a cosy cushy place to be @ChrisJ

The velours of the seventies and eighties have certainly stood the test of time. Have a look at the old Vauxhalls and Fords of this era,  many have covered 100s of thousands of miles and are still wearing their original velours, and still looking superb.

9 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

That certainly looks like a cosy cushy place to be @ChrisJ

The velours of the seventies and eighties have certainly stood the test of time. Have a look at the old Vauxhalls and Fords of this era,  many have covered 100s of thousands of miles and are still wearing their original velours, and still looking superb.

The red probably doesnt go orange either which it does with the leather. Unless its been kept in the dark all its life as mine has.

Chris your beige velour looks better than the beige leather though. Many Esprit beige leather interiors look quite tatty.

It's funny, when I bought my 1st Excel in 1991 - the 1st day of the 1st Gulf War (which I remember listening to it on my walkman on the train up to Norwich), it was black with full magnolia interior, I thought it was fantastic and a huge step up in quality from my Esprit. Within 3-6 months I completely went off the leather. Cold & slippery in the winter, hot and sticky in the summer - and an absolute bugger to keep clean, with the driver's seat looking a bit dowdy fairly quickly.

I think of you like leather, then the 1/2 leather option is by far the best one to go with. My Excel looks good with a 1/2 leather interior, although the leather by now in a bit hard, and the cloth (not velour) in places needs replacing.

IMG_0156.JPGMy dry sump is half leather and seems like a comfortable place to be even if a little dark, my previous Turbo had red which was brighter but got really dirty looking as can be seen;

IMG_0157.JPG

• Like 1

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I see what you mean, I think it might be because my teddy bear is a lightish colour that all being the same colour works, whereas the all black is a little dark, and the all red is a little too red.

Here's my Excel interior, the light grey contrasts well with the red and neither overpowers the other.

LE2_zps60753f9d.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Andy your interior looks perfect, I think the speakers are a typical 80's carry over thing and seem to be the norm with Esprit's. 

I don't think they add any depreciation to the cars either as they seem to fit really well on the door cards.

As much as I enjoy seeing pics of Esprit interiors, we're veering pretty wildly off course here lads. Can we try to get back on track next year? ;)

• Like 1

DRY SUMP TURBO REGISTER
 CHASSIS  BUILD DATE / FIRST REG  ORIGINAL COLOUR  CURRENT COLOUR  INTERIOR   ORIGINAL WHEELS  ROOF STEREO  OWNER  POINTS OF INTEREST
 0895  07/1980  Essex Blue  Black  Red  Compomotive  Yes (removed)  Stuart Monument  The Active Suspension car!
 0951  12/1980  Silver  Silver  Tobacco  Compomotive  Yes  Bauke Tocus  The first dry sump after the Essex run.
 0973    Monaco White  Monaco White    Compomotive  Yes  Sweatow  
 1001  04/1981  Red  Red  Black  Compomotive  Yes  Lotusman33  Being restored.
 1035  08/1981  Monaco White  Monaco White  Tobacco  Compomotive  No  G Jones  Later turbo fitted.
 1042  06/1981  Essex Blue  Essex Blue  Champagne  Compomotive  No  Stuart Monument  
 1096  05/1981  Red  Black  Black  BBS  No  Haynes Museum  Race history. CAR competition car.
 1108  09/1981  Monaco White  Monaco White  Red  BBS  Yes  The Pits  Compomotives fitted.
 1129  12/1981  Black  Black  Black  BBS  No  Dan E  GST recommision 2015/16.
   12/1981  Copper Fire  Copper Fire  Tan  5 stud Compomotive  No  Hopo  
 0342  10/1981  Red  Copper Fire  Black  5 stud Compomotive  No  Phil W  Stocks respray.
 0974  05/1981  Silver  Titanium Pearl  Tan  Compomotive  No  Dodgy  OE engine and gearbox

Well done Jonny, I will give you some updates soon, I see we are missing Tar and his green one from the list which is a pity.

There must be more forum members with Dry Sump cars?

1 hour ago, The Pits said:
DRY SUMP TURBO REGISTER
 CHASSIS  BUILD DATE / FIRST REG  ORIGINAL COLOUR  CURRENT COLOUR  INTERIOR   ORIGINAL WHEELS  ROOF STEREO  OWNER  POINTS OF INTEREST
 0895  07/1980  Essex Blue  Black  Red  Compomotive  Yes (removed)  Stuart Monument  The Active Suspension car!
 0951  12/1980  Silver  Silver  Tobacco  Compomotive  Yes  Bauke Tocus  The first dry sump after the Essex run.
 0973    Monaco White  Monaco White    Compomotive  Yes  Sweatow  
 1001  04/1981  Red  Red  Black  Compomotive  Yes  Lotusman33  Being restored.
 1035  08/1981  Monaco White  Monaco White  Tobacco  Compomotive  No  G Jones  Later turbo fitted.
 1042  06/1981  Essex Blue  Essex Blue  Champagne  Compomotive  No  Stuart Monument  
 1096  05/1981  Red  Black  Black  BBS  No  Haynes Museum  Race history. CAR competition car.
 1108  09/1981  Monaco White  Monaco White  Red  BBS  Yes  The Pits  Compomotives fitted.
 1129  12/1981  Black  Black  Black  BBS  No  Dan E  GST recommision 2015/16.
   12/1981  Copper Fire  Copper Fire  Tan  5 stud Compomotive  No  Hopo  
 0342  10/1981  Red  Copper Fire  Black  5 stud Compomotive  No  Phil W  Stocks respray.
 0974  05/1981  Silver  Titanium Pearl  Tan  Compomotive  No  Dodgy  OE engine and gearbox
 1220 02/1982 - 05/1982 British Racing Green (L46) British Racing Green Green BBS No TAR 1/2 Leather, A/C, undergoing a glacial restoration :) 

I wonder how many dry sumps were built after mine? I really should get a certificate of provenance.

:) 

It's getting there......

I believe there were just over 140 dry sump cars built in total, including the Essex cars so just over 100 non Essex cars, but I bet way less than 60 left now.

Sounds about right as Andy Graham said the 1981 cars ran from 10966 to 11185 with 74 dry sump cars, this was domestic and RHD export and included the S3.

I think the Essex run including development and pre production totalled around 48 cars?

The highest Essex car was 10950 I believe.

Not sure how many non Essex 1980 cars were made or 1982 models.

Wurzel has a 1982 black dry sump car doesn't he? Not sure if his is later than yours Tar?

Perhaps an email to Andy Graham could confirm?

6 hours ago, TAR said:

I wonder how many dry sumps were built after mine? I really should get a certificate of provenance.

:) 

Not many I wouldn't think as yours has the later louvres and round centre vents....things I always thought had only been on the wet sumps. Learn something new every day ?

Yess you are right, the last Essex is 950, my car is 951 the first normal esprit Turbo

i thought there are around 120 / 140 dry sump cars (incl the Essex cars) and it starts after the essex run with my car 10951 untill 11185

but where all the numbers esprit turbo cars? who knows....??? then there should be more dry sumps out there somewhere,

Its worth remembering that there was not a sudden changeover point from dry to wet sump, because for a while wet sump were non-aircon cars only. They only changed aircon cars to wet sump when they got around to redesigning the auxiliary housing and water plumbing to be able to fit the A/C pump in the space below the alternator. Before that it was fitted where the sump would have been.  

• Like 1

Wet sump heater only cars started at 1193

Wet Sump Air con cars started at 1261 so you could get a dry sump car up to chassis 1260 potentially I guess?

There is a 1244 car which is copper with comps on it now although originally it was on BBS. Reg CTW7X April 82 car 

• Like 1