Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage) - Page 14 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

SteveV8s V8 (Big project in a tiny garage)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I think the problem with these stainless studs in this application is not just the galvanic corrosion (and believe me they are well and truly stuck in there), but how brittle they are after many heat cycles, it took hardly any torque to snap them clean off. They won't come out with heat or easy outs, and you can't successfully weld on to them.

SWLC don't even sell replacement stainless studs because of the problems they cause when removal is required. That surely speaks for itself.

1 hour ago, drdoom said:

The lovely British sea air carries the electrolyte.

And the salty Brittish roads, (Welsh especially)

While stainless fasteners of high spec do exist the ones more commonly found in my region are generally regarded to be of grade unsuited to any meaningful loading. I look for fasteners of suitable spec unless for tasks as light as holding the rad pod in place.

Cheers

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I think the problem with these stainless studs in this application is not just the galvanic corrosion (and believe me they are well and truly stuck in there), but how brittle they are after many heat cycles, it took hardly any torque to snap them clean off. They won't come out with heat or easy outs, and you can't successfully weld on to them.

SWLC don't even sell replacement stainless studs because of the problems they cause when removal is required. That surely speaks for itself.

And the salty Brittish roads, (Welsh especially)

Are you sure you weren't using the Esprit as, say, a submarine..........

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
35 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Are you sure you weren't using the Esprit as, say, a submarine........

It's funny you should say that...I know this this guy who worked in MI5.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve .. 

I have just found this post and have read most of it with much interest , you have taken on one hell of a job ... 

I actually owned this very car and loved it for almost 9 years from 2004 to 2013,  it was absolutely immaculate when i sold it . The car  was sold privately to an elderly chap near Southampton who said he always wanted one and was going to keep it for ever . About 18 months later i contacted him and he said he had traded it in for a Jaguar XKR due to the fact that his back was too bad to get into the Esprit ...

I should have lots of photos of when i owned it and will look for them over the next couple of days and post on here for you .. I would love to see it again one day .  If you want to have a chat etc feel free to contact me  . Send me a PM and i will forward my number to you .. 

Leighton

1 minute ago, leighton said:

Hi Steve .. 

I have just found this post and have read most of it with much interest , you have taken on one hell of a job ... 

I actually owned this very car and loved it for almost 9 years from 2004 to 2013,  it was absolutely immaculate when i sold it . The car  was sold privately to an elderly chap near Southampton who said he always wanted one and was going to keep it for ever . About 18 months later i contacted him and he said he had traded it in for a Jaguar XKR due to the fact that his back was too bad to get into the Esprit ...

I should have lots of photos of when i owned it and will look for them over the next couple of days and post on here for you .. I would love to see it again one day .  If you want to have a chat etc feel free to contact me  . Send me a PM and i will forward my number to you .. 

Leighton

Just noticed that my profile picture is still showing the V8  ... Ha Ha !!!!

I own Ferrari and Lotus now so will update later .

• Like 1
  • Love 1

best product to prevent such corrosion is called "Never-Seez"  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=neverseez&t=chromentp&ia=web

This stuff works and is especially good on exhaust manifold bolts or nuts and really any place on threads you some day want to take apart.

I have used this product for many years. First heard about it from a friend who worked at Todd shipyards here in Seattle. 

cheers,

Richard

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 20:43, Steve V8 said:

I'm finding some interesting markings whist stripping the engine, and thought this handwritten part number and experimental sample label on the egr was unusual, especially as its dated 7/11/95. The fist V8's didn't roll off the production line until March 96, mine is a September 96 car so it seems a bit odd.

20230819_170017.jpg.08b8c963213bcf3047645775c559187d.jpg

20230819_170025.jpg.80448bf6dbf1d6bc81b3f72aed0e5ce6.jpg

Same as mine Steve, experimental egr valve ,

same year too 

On 10/10/2023 at 11:24, andyblackman777 said:

Same as mine Steve, experimental egr valve ,

same year too 

I haven't looked at my EGR valve but I noticed my brake booster has a "Prototype" label on it 😬😂 Great to know my car was a guinea pig for some brake components.

I had an issue sourcing a bearing for the intermediate shaft on mine. I looked by the part number, pretty sure it was an FAG bearing. I did end up buying one from JAE and I don't think it was ridiculous on price. 

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Thartje said:

I had an issue sourcing a bearing for the intermediate shaft on mine. I looked by the part number, pretty sure it was an FAG bearing. I did end up buying one from JAE and I don't think it was ridiculous on price. 

Hi Tom, I noticed your from an earlier photo that your original engine casing front cover was in the scrap bin, did you replace your early V8 front cover (with sleeved bearing) for the later '98 on cover?  I'm thinking there must have been a serious problem with the original cover for Lotus to redesign a casting. I've seen a few threads on intermediate shaft issues, they all seem to be on the early V8's..

30 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

Hi Tom, I noticed your from an earlier photo that your original engine casing front cover was in the scrap bin, did you replace your early V8 front cover (with sleeved bearing) for the later '98 on cover?  I'm thinking there must have been a serious problem with the original cover for Lotus to redesign a casting. I've seen a few threads on intermediate shaft issues, they all seem to be on the early V8's..

Steve, the one from my car suffered some damage to the oil pump from bearing debris. It gave me some concerns if I would have oil pressure issues later so decided it would be best not to reuse it. I found a used one in much better condition. The one I removed from my car was not sleeved, the one I installed did have a sleeve for the bearing.

The engine that was in my car when I purchased had already been replaced one with a 98 V8 engine, so I sort of went backwards lol.

• Gold FFM
39 minutes ago, Thartje said:

so I sort of went backwards lol.

You've got the gear selector cables the wrong way around 🤣

2 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

You've got the gear selector cables the wrong way around 🤣

That explains these 5 reverses 🤔😂

That's actually where I made progress though, was able to go from the '97 shifter to the '98 😂

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

At last the new front intermediate shaft bearing has arrived from Poland. £36

So now getting the rest of the parts and materials required up together, I can't find permabond A905 surface conditioner, (section 11 on the service notes below) and haven't got a scooby what it is, also Loctite 5910 silicone is available but are there better alternatives 26 years after this was printed, any advice much appreciated,TIA

16994853405528414546890798611293.jpg.e5b4dd81157d46297009fa09c9e73e1b.jpg

I`ve always used acetone for surface prep. and 5910. It`s not expensive and has provided excellent service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM
On 09/11/2023 at 14:03, andyblackman777 said:

Steve, can you share the details of the front IMS bearing your got.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, doesn't come with the sleeve, I'm reusing the original which is a perfect fit.

20231110_191901.jpg.1935f2eda5cbf037740164ac64a7353b.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

A question for those who know.

The service notes state to use loctite 243 to retain the front bearing, 243 is a medium strength thread locking compound, I have used it but just wanting to check, the service notes have made typos before.

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

A question for those who know.

The service notes state to use loctite 243 to retain the front bearing, 243 is a medium strength thread locking compound, I have used it but just wanting to check, the service notes have made typos before.

Its the general use blue loctite. I did it on mine, not sure if the concern is the race rotating in the housing. Figured it couldn't hurt anything

• Like 1