Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 111 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

5 minutes ago, Jason is Chasing said:

Wow that's a big statement,  a ban on petrol cars in 2030 for the UK?!?!  Oh my

I think it's a proposed bringing forward of the 2040 date BUT it refers to a ban on new car sales not a ban on petrol cars as such.

21 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

I think it's a proposed bringing forward of the 2040 date BUT it refers to a ban on new car sales not a ban on petrol cars as such.

Wild, as an American I've always looked at the UK as the last Bastian of hope for the Petrolhead,  and the driving experience, so its news to me.  I live in California so when I hear this about my State I'm not taken off guard I recognize,  we're a bit 'wazoo'.

To hear the UK blows me away 

1 minute ago, C8RKH said:

These guys it's hard enough to determine the girls from the boys, and the girls are harder anyway and the boys as soft as jelly (especially in the head).

I laughed so hard at this, I spit my morning coffee!  

• Like 1

Ha, where you based @yeller77?   You get the pints in, the ribs and wings will be on me! lol

• Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Stateside, about as far as you can get from either coast. Now enough of this love fest so all can get back to their WAGs on WTH Lotus are going to be doing going forward. :D  

:cheers:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Consumption - food, electronics, clothes, useless things, cars, global travel (of people, goods and food) etc. And population growth. If you really want to "heal the planet" then these are the things you need to reduce significantly and control.

The capitalist culture of repeated consumption keeps driving the money go round. New iPhone, new purchase, more materials required to generate new product, old product gets discarded (or maybe a little recycled). Same for cars. Get an EV, replace after ~3-5 years, keep that money pumping through the system to support everyone's jobs. Want to save the planet? Stop continuously raping it. Keep your old iPhone, keep your old car, buy 'new' clothes from a 2nd hand charity store. Food? I'd rather eat shit than recycle that.

Greed feeds the money go round. The money go round keeps everyone employed. We're all on a helter skelter of mutual destruction. Is there a way out? Not that anyone's been able to make work, especially not politicians. For those old enough to afford a Lotus, might as well be nihilistic about the future and let our children sort out the mess after we cark it. Unless anyone's got a better idea?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jcx said:

Happy days eh?!

Yes. For some very happy days. For others, not so happy.

For the last 5 -7 years we've been slowly decluttering. Getting rid of all that useless shite you accumulate and realise was just a waste of money.

I do wonder what the future for Lotus will be.  A car for the drivers as electric autonomous looms on the distant horizon. So essentially a car for a dying market - quite literally if you look at all of the old farts on here!

A focus on driving involvement, handling and vehicle dynamics for drivers who just want a badge and 0-60 straight line bragging rights.

I think 2025-2030 will be the key period for the future Lotus to be shaped and at that point we'll have a clear idea about what future Lotus stands for.

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I think 2025-2030 will be the key period for the future Lotus to be shaped and at that point we'll have a clear idea about what future Lotus stands for.

I wonder if level 5 autonomy will be realised by then? An on-demand pay per use model will revolutionize car usage and maybe see the demise of car ownership. Maybe no bad thing as cars spend so much time not being driven, their efficacy is shite. Having said that what would a Lotus be in a world of fully autonomous driving?  Would there be a sports mode setting that makes the car go at the speed limit all the time with as much acceleration/deceleration as the car is capable of at each speed limit change? I wonder if you'd have to pay a premium to drive in manual mode and be banned from subsequent rental if you exceeded the speed limit?

We're the last generation to benefit from the freedom our cars give us.

Rush released Red Barchetta 39 years ago, O Neil Pert, how prophetic your lyrics...

I think @RobinB5 Volvo are already now well down that path. You can currently rent a new Volvo - everything is included in one monthly price. The only thing I think you need to do is fuel it if it is ICE.

The next step will be a model where you "book" the car you want for the time you want and it just turns up, then leaves when you have finished it. The technology is there and for the time being it can  be delivered to 85% of the population by a person who then just takes the motorised scooter out of the boot and scoots off!  Some of those eScooters now have a range of 20-25 miles and of course you can always use your leg to "scoot" along to increase the range.

So, you pay say £80 per hour to have the car without cost of fuel.  Sounds like a lot but when you factor in purchase price, mileage, fuel, tax and insurance you start to realise just how much a car costs you!

£25k average car price.  8,000 miles a year at 50mpg and £6 per gallon = £960. Say £150 car tax and £350 insurance and £500 for service and incidentals. So over 3 years that would be a total outlay of £25k+ (£960*3) + (£150*3) + (£350 * 3) + (£500 *3) = £30,880.  Add in some interest for a part loan, say £2,000 and take off the PX value at 3 years of say £11,000 and that leave a 3 year cost of what, £21,800 for 24,000 miles or 91p per mile.

So, factor in say renting the car for 5 hours for a 300 mile journey = £300 for 300 miles so £1 per mile plus fuel (nowt if electric).  The figures/economics suggest it would work but boy that would make a massive difference to the economy with tens of thousands made redundant etc.

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The figures/economics suggest it would work but boy that would make a massive difference to the economy with tens of thousands made redundant etc.

That's a struggle that's been going on since the time of the Luddites. An ongoing existential crisis that is leading to a service based economy, until such time as even those services are replaced with automated and more profitable alternatives. The last job a human will have is to program an AI that can train other AIs. After that it'll just be a matter of whether you're an Eloi or Morlock. 

• Like 1

@RobinB5 With regard to autonomous driving and speed limits. My satnav has and indicator for what the speed limit is on the stretch of road that I am driving. Sadly it is a couple of years old so for some roads that indicator is out of date and telling me the wrong speed. And, that is not taking into account any short term changes to the speed limit due to road works and the likes.

Systems would need to be developed and put into practice on all roads to take things like this into consideration.

If the system is faulty and your autonomous vehicle breaks a speed limit, who is to blame? Who pays the fine? What if it causes an accident?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

My satnav has and indicator for what the speed limit is on the stretch of road that I am driving

Mine and my wife's DDs have that but also the front cameras recognise road signs so it "reads" the speed limit sign and informs you of changes accordingly.

The tech is there. Is available. Right now.

The law needs to be changed to catch-up but that is happening. Cameras on cars will determine blame and if a systems failure then the mfrs could be held liable as they are to an extent now.

If you modify the car without telling insurance co, and it's a factor, then like now you will be liable.

It's all coming together whether we like it or not.

The small print.