Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 23 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

In respect of the Lotus SUV - I saw an Alfa Romeo Stelvio today - I guess for an SUV it looked nice, but as I looked at it - it left me rather cold.

What with Volvo SUV's - and Lynk & Co - I don't really see why Geeley would want to bring another SUV into the market - unless of course its an SUV like no-other!? 

35 minutes ago, KAS-118 said:

In respect of the Lotus SUV - I saw an Alfa Romeo Stelvio today - I guess for an SUV it looked nice, but as I looked at it - it left me rather cold.

What with Volvo SUV's - and Lynk & Co - I don't really see why Geeley would want to bring another SUV into the market - unless of course its an SUV like no-other!? 

It's all about market segmentation and customer's desire for differentiation... JMG made a case for it with DRB-Hicom and it looks to me like Geely and Volvo will be glad to provide.

The piece from the EAP : http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/new-lotus-owner-considers-starting-production-in-china-but-reaffirms-commitment-to-norfolk-1-5078533  

You could argue that vw don't need a skoda, vw and Audi versions of the same car.... But they each find a customer who often woukdnt consider the other... No matter how identical they actually are under the skin.  Remember we live in an age where most 1 series customers don't know or care thst their car is rwd. 

Lotus producing an suv and building it outside of Norfolk wouldn't bother me if it meant better sports cars and a more rosy future. 

Edited by LazyDonkey

On 2017-6-26 at 07:40, C8RKH said:

I tell you what, FFS, let's just wait and see what happens before all the doom and gloom shall we!  For crying out loud you, me, and no one else has a bloody clue how this going to play out so just calm down and go and make a cup of tea!

Oh, funny how you're happy to be all negative about Brexit but forget conveniently about the devaluation of the GBpound and how it is powering our exports. So yes, raw materials dearer to bring in, but our products are still competitive to export thanks to the lower pound.

Devaluation of the pound a good thing is it? 

I wonder how many parts of your beloved Evora are imported?... then consider what a CEO has to do to convince its owners to invest real money for a new model production line in a country that "no one else has a bloody clue".

That £240m Toyota investment was supplemented by £21m UK tax payers money as a condition... Oh goodie, 10% subsidies funded by the UK tax payer.. we should of course pay to upgrade foreign companies plants and help them make money that will of course end up abroad... (Btw UK investment is f@ck all compared to the 10 billion Toyota's just invested in the United States).

Then you read what's happening post snap election... in the last 7 days, and forgive me for being slightly concerned:-

BMW threatening to write off £2 billion investment in Oxford kind of takes the shine off the tax payer assisted £240m Toyota deal for me personally... Best case scenario, UK taxpayers will subsidise BMW and Oxford stays put, I certainly hope so. It was quietly doing so well, now whether or not you want to debate it.. it's at risk.

In the best spirit of this gentlemanly forum hopefully someone will now post something to the contrary and prove I'm too pessimistic and the next Esprit is already in clay back at HQ?

Ha, tell you what.. you enjoy drinking that cup of imported tea mate. I drink coffee anyway and believe me I can smell it?

I'd forgotten we grow our own coffee beans and don't need to import any more. I'm from the LBHAT&C brigade so swing both ways. Coffee in the morning tea in the afternoon.

As for sibsifdies for car production that has nearly always been the case has it not? Ford engine plant in Wales - subsidy. Aston Martin production in Wales - subsidy. Honda in Swindon - sibsidy. Toyota in Derby - subsidy.I'm pretty sure our beloved lotus has seen the odd subsidy in its lifetime. No new news here. Sure its coffee your smelling? :devil:

But heh, let's talk everything down then we won't be disappointed will we.

Still don't see why Lotus needs a SUV but understand I'm in the minority.

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Haha!! Subsit aside I do ingra tea too:lol:

I agree on the SUV thing I think. A small MX5 competitor about £25k basic price would have been an interesting direction instead of following the herd

• Like 1

I agree Government subzidies?are a good thing, drop in the ocean investment compared to the benefits. Pls don't get me wrong.. my bee is the way it's being negotiated. Its like kids in a playground!

But was your glass half full or half empty?  :sofa:

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Let's see now......

• Italian wheels
  • Japanese rear lights
  • French tyres
  • American brake system
  • American fuel injection
  • Italian brake calipers
  • French gearbox
  • singaporean air-con compressor
  • French alternator
  • Italian starter motor
  • American headlamp pod motors
  • French clutch
  • French coolant header tank
  • American turbo
  • Welsh driver/garage supervisor

All fitted to my 1995 Esprit, 22 years ago. Well, not the last one, obv.

I no longer care where cars are built, or what components are fitted to them when it comes to it. And I don't suppose the vast majority of buyers do either, as long as the car's good. Yes, I would prefer British-built, but it's simple economics: no car sales, no money, no business, no Lotus.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

As to all the foreign bits Lotus use, I believe the supercharged v6 had its original genesis and development in Australia around 2006. Toyota Australia together with Harrop Engineering did the work. Lotus learnt of it and the rest you know.

https://www.carsales.com.au/car/trd/aurion/

https://www.harrop.com.au/

• Like 1

DanR

Li sounds like he's gotta plan.. 

"This is just like what we have done with London Taxi Company, engineer in Britain, design in Britain, built in Britain. We see no reason to move 50 years of combined experience to China – let them do what they do best – in Britain," Shufu stated. "Geely is fully committed to revitalizing the Lotus brand which will include new investment and a widened car range," and furthermore to make "the Lotus brand a global one, staying true to the brand’s heritage." To the credit of current CEO Jean-Marc Gales, Lotus, over the past year, has generated a profit for the first time in 20 years. Geely also owns Volvo, which it purchased from Ford a few years ago.

http://www.carbuzz.com/m/Article.aspx?Id=39854:pizza:

I just hope that the plan can be put into motion asap, last time Lotus changed hands it was under DB and the company just went from the old Proton ownership to the new Proton ownership under DRB. It brought the company to a complete standstill in terms of new product development.

This year there's no official Lotus presence at Goodwood, it was not part of the plan to be there this year as JMG said it. Actually Lotus will not attend any car show at all this year. but that was before the Geely takeover. The company still has one or two products to unveil this year the roadster is supposed to be presented later this year and a mistery higher spec Evora (with more carbon) was also muted earlier in the year. Geely will want to display its newest acquisition and should also present Lynk and Co 01 while Volvo is set to present the XC40 at this year IAA so maybe just maybe Lotus could piggy bag on one of its siblings or there will be the LAAS in december to present stuff this year.   

producing petrol cars in the UK?......

think the Volvo stuff is the stuff they'll make in China.....

it'll take some time and cash to develop the Lotus Hybid further.......the Evora Hybrid was very complex and is also now not in the hands of Lotus.....

I presume the technology might be....but who knows who kept what as it was only a development program

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

nothing wrong with Hybrid for me.........as long as it works

:happydance:

according to the article (about the Volvo announcement) hybrid tech can be as little as the stop start feature............

and you can turn that off if you want.............