Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 67 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

So what is is going to be? A car or just the unveil of the business plan to the journos and the upper management of Geely group, This would be only a formal thing as the upper management is already in the know. 

Lotus will be part of the Geely Group showcase alongside Volvo, Polestar, Lynk & Co... so a show car would be expected from them, but what is it going to be? That yellow smoke teaser would lead me to believe that it would be an internal combustion car and not an EV because EV don't smoke much except for the tires they destroy, it would be weird to introduce Project Omega in a yellow puff of smoke. 

Popham said a car would be shown in 2020, so that is not it, unless he lied, but that would not be a great first move, so that thing they are unveiling would be something else... They wouldn't dare bringing a simple refresh would they? Even a super high performance version of Evora or Exige would not cut it at this point. Unveiling the SUV prototype would be a rational move if the factory is to be ready in 2021.

There's also a thing about Lotus finally being able to ditch the Chinese only the "Lotus NYO" moniker to revert to just being Lotus and opening a slew of dealerships in the Middle Kingdom.

It 'could' be a concept car - gauge reactions to new styling cues etc. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the interim model. It all kind of depends on when exactly it is going to be out - 2020 or 2021. If it's the former then you could absolutely see it being shown one year before; if it's the latter, it would be unusual to be showing it two years before release.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the hypercar: it's very obviously a halo model, intended to say, 'Look at what we're now capable of delivering!' If a halo's job is to look shiny, incredible and draw the attention, then you would imagine that Geely would quite like to be giving such a car a debut on their home turf. It would be a confident statement of intent. At Geneva, the hypercars completely dominated the press. Looking at Aston Martin's stand, you'd be forgiven for assuming they were packing in GTs to go head-to-head with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti and McLaren at the dynamic top end of the market. The Koenigsegg Jesko and Pininfarina Battista  were all over every Geneva article and YouTube vid. I'm sure Geely would like to be capturing international column inches, and video report minutes, about the Shanghai show in a similar manner. Likewise, every other manufacturer was exceptionally keen to show their forays into, and commitment towards, electric drivetrains...

It could be some exciting upgrades for the current range; they have some way to go before the all-new models on the new platform arrive. It's not as if Lotus's competitors will be standing still for the next 3 years! I doubt they'll want sales significantly dipping in that time so it can't 'all' be down to the interim model.

Regardless, if they release a date wreathed in swirling smoke, sparking excitement and anticipation, and then just give an overview of the 5-year plan, I think that would be more than a little disappointing...

• Like 1

From today's Times:

5 Lotus Cars will use China’s premier motor show in Shanghai today to unveil plans for a £1 million-plus all-electric hypercar. The new car will be the basis of a seven-year plan that aims to put the heritage brand of British sports cars on a par with Aston Martin and McLaren.

Edited by jonwat
  • Like 2

Cheers,

John W

That sounds fantastic,  The words hyper car and lotus blend well,  its about time,  hope to god they call it the Esprit :)

If they have brains they should of used the JPS livery for the show......

• Like 1

A

20 minutes ago, jonwat said:

From today's Times:

5 Lotus Cars will use China’s premier motor show in Shanghai today to unveil plans for a £1 million-plus Disappointing all-electric hypercar.   The new car will be the basis of a seven-year Disappointing plan that aims to put the heritage brand of British sports cars on a par with Aston Martin and McLaren. Disappointing.

Added my comments into original thus. Hope within rules.

Bibs, £1m plus, 7 years, McLaren and Aston Martin.  That is said to be the harbinger of The Plan - not just that car.  Enough, surely!

Yes, I'll take a look tomorrow, casually, but essentially the start of waving goodbye from my world. 

On a positive note, I guess it adds to the value of current models in eyes such as mine.

Edited by mdavies

2 minutes ago, mdavies said:

Bibs, £1m plus, 7 years, McLaren and Aston Martin.  That is said to be the harbinger of the plan - not just that car.  Enough, surely!

Yes, I'll take a look tomorrow, casually, but essentially the start of waving goodbye from my world. 

Along with the recent quotes from Popham around "affordability" and maintaining price points?

Oooops, sorry, forgot I was the internet and needed to be all doom and gloom :)

I'll not be in the market for a £1m hyper car either, however, I might just be tempted by a cracking new car, around £80-£120k IF it does not have a bloody +2 configuration lol.....

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Maybe Porsche will stop building the 911 to focus on the hyper car replacement for the 918.

And of course with £1m+ Aston Valkyrie and McLaren P1 they'll not be making their cheaper cars either?

Lotus does get a good knocking on here whatever they do.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

IF it does not have a bloody +2 configuration lol.....

Ahhh fret not - that +4 suv configuration is on its way 👍

• Haha 2

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Ahhh fret not - that +4 suv configuration is on its way 👍

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhh! 😜

The small print.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1120322_lotus-kicks-off-revival-with-confirmation-of-electric-hypercar

Obviously my posts (3off) as i found them today are in contravention with something on this form because they have all been deleted and they were news related

Edited by au-yt

So is the Evora now the "Halo" model for Lotus?

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 hours ago, au-yt said:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1120322_lotus-kicks-off-revival-with-confirmation-of-electric-hypercar

Obviously my posts (3off) as i found them today are in contravention with something on this form because they have all been deleted and they were news related

They may have been moved to a different thread - hopefully one of the Mods will confirm.

The small print.