Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 simply dreadful - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 simply dreadful

Simon on tour

Can't wait. Most of those complaints are bullshit in the context of you winning a court case and would not entitle you to reject the car. A couple are known faults, the seat creek is being fixed under warranty as I understand it, and the paint is also fixable under warranty. For the rest though, all lotus gearboxes do that, all supercharger belts squeak if water is applied to them - my S2 exige did it all the time if it was driven in the wet. But all I can say to your last two complaints is W. T. F. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

^^^ What Will said.

Oh my word, I got the impression you'd not long had the car! Never good to go off half cocked. Looking forward to the full story.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

2 hours ago, Simon on tour said:

. They both have a total of no annoying features,

What about the one that turns you into a quadriplegic the first time you hit a pothole? This is an annoying "feature" of every Porsche I've ever been in.

And seriously......I spent some time researching Panameras as a possible daily a while ago. 50% + of them were advertised "new engine at XX miles" - like this was a good thing.

I personally had ignored your first post, under the "don't feed the troll" banner and if you go back an ask yourself - what was I hoping to achieve with this post, perhaps you may have second thoughts about it.

Please do come back with a meaningful and calm post about your issues and I'm sure the members on here will try and assist you with our combined wisdom and experience, for what it's worth. 

As has been said, the gearboxes do growl, with the exception of the wing mirrors everything else has been covered off. I appreciate what you mean with the wing mirrors although I don't see it as a height thing, more whether you can adjust the drivers side mirror out far enough. It's close, but could be slightly better, but again this is actually quite common on Right hand Drive cars, because the core design is for LHD vehicles.

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

I think that we should allow the OP to give us the full story before jumping to any conclusions, although it is very evident that 3 of the listed faults are indeed gripes which should have been picked up during a test drive.

It is not clear whether the OP has issues with Lotus direct or with the supplying dealer. Also, in giving us the full story perhaps the OP could include how he has approached the dealer/Lotus on these issues. Many of us know that Lotus are usually keen to resolve disputes but sometimes the secret to getting the right resolution is in how you complain in the first instance.

I look forward to reading the full story

• Like 2

I have just run in a new panamera turbo s here in Spain.  The final 100miles were spent up Sierra Navada. Absolutely no faults or squeeks. Amazing handling with neck braking acceleration! Sounds perfect to me.

• Gold FFM

There are Evora 400 owners who have had "faultless" cars. There are Porsche owners who watched their new cars burn before their very eyes. @C8RKH knows how much I hate people bringing up the latter, but one car does not represent them all. For ANY brand.

If you're as into Porsche as you say, the Evora must have done something special to make you change.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

16 hours ago, Simon on tour said:

Right here my fault list. 

1)Badly fitting door with air leaks audiable from 30 mph. They fixed this only for me to find another air leak from the engine bay.

2) Sub top coat swirls and scratches on roof and rear quarter. They spayed over this so thick it is no longer flat.

3) Transmission rumbles in low torque situations make the car sound like a tractor. Not even a atempted fix for this one.

4) Supercherger squeaks due to rain being able to drip onto its bearings and belts.

5) Drivers seat moves and squeaks.  Replaced by them bur I've only driven the car once since I got it back.

6) Power steering squeal on full lock.

7) Mirrors don't allow a tall person to see out of the car propperly.

Over all the car feels like a kit car or prototype.  

Would have been a awesome car if they had developed and tested it properly!

I am 6'3 and have no such issues with mirrors.

16 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

There are Evora 400 owners who have had "faultless" cars. There are Porsche owners who watched their new cars burn before their very eyes. @C8RKH knows how much I hate people bringing up the latter, but one car does not represent them all. For ANY brand.

If you're as into Porsche as you say, the Evora must have done something special to make you change.

Very astute of you Jay. My test drive was fun. I put the mirrors down to seat position and mentioned the air leek to the test drive chap. He said I must not have closed the door completely.  When you drive the car flat out with the exsaust open you simply can't here any of the rattles. You can't drive like that for very long!

This was before I bought the 911. As I already had the panemera I thought I would try the Evora 400.

Once I owned the car the and ran it in traffic or normal road conditions it simply became unbearable.

Lotus then failed to fix all of my issues.  Had my car for 3 months replaced my seat and made my paint worst than before. 

It's a long story I will tell when I am home :)

• Gold FFM

I genuinely look forward to hearing the full story. What I find interesting is my 911 owning friends who have driven the Evora, all comment on how quiet it is compared to the 911. The tyre roar from the 996-997 era 911s is pretty severe.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Likewise. I feel like people have been a bit harsh here. Lets hear the story. I remember feeling so angry with JLR about my F-Type ownership. It reached a similar point of emotion where even the smallest things just took me beyond boiling point. However, it came from months and months of continuous issues, a belligerent manufacturer and incompetent dealerships. It felt like visiting the hospital where each time I went in to be cured, I came out with another/greater illness than I went in with.  

Porsche is absolutely no better. I remember finding one of Porsche Reading's screw drivers rattling around one day from where they'd left it under the panels of the front hood. I took it back asking whether they'd lost something. Not a moment of embarrassment. Don't get taken in by the shiny grey showrooms.  I found my Porsche ownership did nothing for me other than stroke my ego. Its not a Lotus.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It's funny, when I read review of the Evora a few magazines complained about the "awkward driving position", having driven some older Ferraris etc... to me the hallmark of a performance car is a weird driving position!

One man's fault is another's character, sometimes.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

This list of issues raised all looks pretty trivial and noise related to me; apart from the paint. If you are paranoid/OCD about loud exhausts, engine noise, or squeaks & creaks coming from a variety of places then don't buy a Lotus! The symphony of mechanical sounds is an integral part of the whole 400 ownership experience. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Simon on tour said:

Right here my fault list. 

1)Badly fitting door with air leaks audiable from 30 mph. They fixed this only for me to find another air leak from the engine bay.

2) Sub top coat swirls and scratches on roof and rear quarter. They spayed over this so thick it is no longer flat.

3) Transmission rumbles in low torque situations make the car sound like a tractor. Not even a atempted fix for this one.

4) Supercherger squeaks due to rain being able to drip onto its bearings and belts.

5) Drivers seat moves and squeaks.  Replaced by them bur I've only driven the car once since I got it back.

6) Power steering squeal on full lock.

7) Mirrors don't allow a tall person to see out of the car propperly.

Over all the car feels like a kit car or prototype.  

Would have been a awesome car if they had developed and tested it properly!

Ha this is exactly the same as my S1. Minor minor points for me personally. Can't say but I've ever owned a car that  has a list of things like this. 

• Gold FFM

Well - that's it I give in.

I formally offer you one slightly broken S4 and an s3 in bits as a swap.

that should just about give you enough to whinge about. There's some real shocking issues with them.....

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Simon on tour said:

It's clear to me me I need to tell you all the full story. This has been going on for almost a year now.

I don't mean to Slag of your cars. It's important that people no both sides of owning a lotus!

I'm currently in Cartagena spain but about to drive back to the UK. When I arrive in will post the full story of my last year with lotus.

Now that would be a good idea. Sorry, but going off half cocked was not the best idea, it's bound to get some negative answers. Once the whole story is explained and then understood people may well have a different opinion to what has already been said.

:blush:

• Like 1

Hopefully we will get the full story later today?

simon did you purchase the 400 from CL?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Simon. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. Would also like to see some photos of your car. 

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

20 hours ago, Zebedee said:

Assuming this is for real I am very keen to hear all the detail,

I have ordered a new 400 and am awaiting a delivery date. Slight complication for me is that I live on the Isle of Man so extended issues would be a total killer as I have the little matter of the Irish Sea between me and a Service Centre. So fingers crossed I get a good one! Quite a risk I know - but when you love Lotus, you drive the 400 and decide you really want one, you end up taking that risk.

I live in West Cumbria. As a favour, I will collect your new 400 and run it in for you and sort any niggles. Only when I conclude the car is perfect I will deliver it to your door. I won't even charge you for my time or the ferry ticket :P

• Like 1