Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora...problems?? - Page 2 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora...problems??

lorenzor

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

I've got a wife and two grown kids. The Evora is my escape from my problems....

Lucky you.......I too have a wife and 2 kids (altho' they're 2.5 and 1.5).......and I have to take them with me when I go out in the Evora:wub:

• Haha 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

In my earlier post I overlooked mentioning the replacement clutch master cylinder under warranty. Perhaps because I had forgotten that mine had no issues, but was replaced anyway as a precaution :).

Has the OP been for a drive in one yet, and if so, when do you collect it for keeps :P

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am in the middle of a dispute with Lotus/ Oakmere I purchased my N A in 2014 and a new clutch was fitted at the point of sale the car had 73,000 on the clock ,it was an ex Lotus car with the AU number plate prefix 

I wouldn't have purchased the car if it had not had a new clutch fitted because I was well aware of the expected clutch mileage and  what a massive job it was, approx 35hrs labour plus material so the cost is way over  £3,000 ,the car has now covered 9,000 since the clutch was fitted[ as you can gather it is not my daily drive I only use it at the week end ] ,I was having problems engaging reverse I could not select it unless the engine was turned off so I took it back to Oakmere Northwich where Paul the workshop manager said it required a new clutch assy 

I said you can't be serious it has only covered 9,000 miles since the previous one was fitted I wrote to Lotus and also wrote to the managing director of Oakmere and I am still waiting to here what the the outcome will be but I'm not holding my breath I am seriously considering swapping it for an Audi s4 quatro 

Have I got this right, you purchased the car 4 years ago and you are in dispute about a wear & tear item.

Might sound a bit harsh and I accept  that a clutch should last more than 9000 miles, but I think you’ll find that 4 years is a bit beyond a warranty period for a serviced item.

Hopefully it won’t be the clutch, do you get any other symptoms other than trying to select reverse?

I hope you get a good outcome. Don't bother with the Audi their "reliability" is shockibg. Just check out Which? and JD Power surveys so you're likely to have more bills.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I fully understand what you are saying Paul ,it is a wear item but I have two cars the other one is a VW Polo and it has now covered 129.000 miles with the same clutch in it ,the evora has done only 9,000 on a new clutch that can't be right which ever way you look at it

9k miles AND 4 years. I agree based on mileage it seems tough, however the issue is until you get the clutch out you can't see what the issue is. Was it installed incorrectly etc for instance?

I think after 4 years you may struggle.

Also surely your claim is with the supplying dealer. Unless you bought car direct from Lotus, your contract and rights were or are with the dealer, not Lotus.

Did you use any Finance on the car?  You may have a claim against them if you did but the time period elapsed may be an issue.

How much hp is the Polo pulling compared to the Evora?

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Sorry, I don't get it...

You're comparing 129k in a gutless polo to a torquey 3.5L Evora.

9k in 4yrs, could be seen as millions of gearchanges (on and off clutch) where as 129k in a polo could be see as many hours spent cruising at 70mph, hence no "load" on the clutch.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

9k in 10 yrs with a failure would be a joke let alone 4 yrs.

The Evora isn't even torquey.  In fact it is embarrassingly not torquey.

Completely unacceptable even for a McLaren 720s.

I very much doubt Lotus or the dealer will contribute anything as I struggled to get an air bag cover replaced despite a new item failing in 2 weeks.  Only threat of legal action changed their minds.

Edited by Registered

@Registered all I can say is I have had three issues on my 410 Sport. Two fairly pricey and one not so. ALL three have been resolved, under warranty to my satisfaction.

A warranty is normally time or use bound. That's a fact so let's not get arsey about that.

I bought a kettle. Put it in the cupboard. It had a 12 month warranty but the first time i used it was when I gfound it again 5 years later. Bloody thing did not work. But after that length of time my warranty rights were done.

A lot of people screanm unfair - get the clutch out and ascertain the issue. Until tgen we're all just guessing at the cause.

Mileage means jack shit it's how the car has been used too. All factors...

The small print.

Thing is... who’s fault was the failure after 4yrs...

Was it lotus for design?

dealer for fitting?

clutch manufacturer for product?

you for your driving style?

I think you’re up the proverbial creek. There’s goodwill and there’s a piss take...

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

30 minutes ago, Registered said:

9k in 10 yrs with a failure would be a joke let alone 4 yrs.

The Evora isn't even torquey.  In fact it is embarrassingly not torquey.

Completely unacceptable even for a McLaren 720s.

Today's top tip for you: Don't ever buy an Aston Martin.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PaulCP said:

Have I got this right, you purchased the car 4 years ago and you are in dispute about a wear & tear item.

Might sound a bit harsh and I accept  that a clutch should last more than 9000 miles, but I think you’ll find that 4 years is a bit beyond a warranty period for a serviced item.

Hopefully it won’t be the clutch, do you get any other symptoms other than trying to select reverse?

Yes good point, and it may not be the clutch, perhaps the selector just needs re-adjusting??  Or have the garage had a good look at it already?

When my GTE (Evora S) gearbox blew itself to bits at only 2300 miles and needed replacing, I asked Lotus Silverstone to replace the clutch as a matter of course (the parts are not dear). Upon removal they actually said that the original clutch was already surprisingly worn. Bearing in mind that I was driving like Miss Daisy's was sat next to me for the first 1000 mile running-in period, I would probably have been very lucky to see your 9000 miles from it. There's also no guarantee that the replacement one will be any better: I am now at 4600 miles, so the replacement gearbox and clutch have done 2300 miles as well. Fingers-crossed this lot lasts rather better!

• Like 1

Is it a repeated incident or a one-shot?

Not sure if this helps but my car (which was owned by Lotus, prior to me) has had the clutch and some gears replaced (at my cost) by Komotec around 8-9,000 kms. ago. Some months after the repair was completed, I experienced serious problems to engage reverse one day, after some high speed cruising in the autobahn. When trying to park the car after one and a half hours of fast driving and a few minutes of standing still, it was not possible at all to engage reverse. I left the car parked for a few hours in the street (in a position where I was sure I could leave only engaging forward gears...) and when I started the car again it all worked fine. Still a mystery because, since then, I have never had the issue again (touch wood).

2015 Evora S Sr. IPS. 27,000kms, no problems.  love the car.   I also have heard of Italian Evoras blowing their engines up. Interestingly, I’ve never heard of it happening anywhere else though, so it must be caused by something ‘local’. I really like the fact it uses a standard(ish) Toyota engine from a Camry. They have always had a good reliability record.

The Evora has gone and there is a B M W 640i cabriolet sitting in my garage it was the right money 12 months M O T full service history it is metallic black with a black leather interior and it's all singing and dancing it has every conceivable extra even head up display on the windscreen and voice control you can talk to the computer and tell it what you want it to find.

The Evora was going to cost me almost £3.000 to have the clutch replaced  after only  9,000 miles ,I couldn't live with that. who's to say how long the next one will last and what else is going to fail next ,I really liked the Evora it was great to drive when it was on song I was disappointed to have to let it go but I experienced major problems with brake judder which cost me over £1,000 in the end

So for the first time in many years I am now LOTUS free and will have to join the BMW forum

Until next time bye for now

11 hours ago, hatters said:

The Evora was going to cost me almost £3.000 to have the clutch replaced  after only  9,000 miles ,I couldn't live with that.

Did you ever establish that the problem was definitely the clutch, or just got scared and jumped ship?

Hope you’re happy with the BMW, a different car entirely, maybe an Evora was just “not for you”?

I think the latter.

I’m sure the BMW is more up OP street.

• Gold FFM

Hi Lorenzor,

I don't have an Evora so I cannot comment on them and I am not about to surmise.

You say you have gone looking for all the things that have gone wrong with Evoras?

What does the list look like if you go looking for what people like about them?

As for windows that can fail, my wife bought a brand new Honda Accord Euro. Front passenger window failed no more than 200 metres from the dealers on the day of pickup. Her latest Honda Accord had one of those adaptive cruise controls on it that is designed to keep a distance from the car in front or from a car that brakes suddenly in front of you. Darn thing use to pick up cars one lane over from us that braked to turn and our Accord would brake. Someone pulled into the lane in front of us inside out predetermined 'follow' distance and the car would brake to maintain the gap. Now it didn't brake gradually, it slammed the brakes on enough to scare us inside the car. All cars have issues.

As far as my Esprit goes for issues (much older than the Evoras) issues from manufacturing or parts. None really.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)