Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 43 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Lotusfab I kinda take it for granted. Lovely on clear sunny days - awful in the winter.

anyway today is sunny so i thought I’d rip some bits ofB4DD340D-CD44-4E3A-857A-DA50359207EF.thumb.jpeg.19ae5e04940b594ed43e1b756cb17e38.jpeg

the trailing a poly bushes Inner sleeves have split away from the bush itself - @CHANGES have you seen this before?

thought I’d have a clean up and do something slightly useful instead of thumb twiddling 

9FDAC677-C2C7-4CC7-8FD5-E1360E1F136E.thumb.jpeg.f4f16871f340bd3e130de41028a83989.jpeg

Only here once

• Gold FFM

And I point blank refuse to buy now rear pins - so it’s clean up time 06A1E697-EC13-4A1E-BE97-6CCBFC1A98E8.jpeg.2952f37841edf5cd6a7baf03bb0bf34f.jpeg

I need to buy a bench wheel grinder 😂

anyway - these now look nice again

7B93D674-4769-4BA2-BE8A-5DA45271CAD2.thumb.jpeg.aef172078cc652c00189bdcbbd0ee012.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

That cordless wire brush arrangement is a chuckle, reminds me of how one local Europa owner cobbled up a temporary water pump drive.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

So rear hubs cleaned and lacquered. Driveshafts treated to a coat of yellow paint - will lacquer them tomorrow.

Two new rear wheel bearings ordered - need to buy some new caphead bolts to fix em back on with now.

might loosely hang it all back on tomorrow.

Only here once

Not sure where you intend to fit the cap bolts, but I seem to remember from restoring my S1 that all suspension bolts need to be steel. As stainless steel hasn't the same strength.

In addition, if using with an aluminium casting, they can react especially if copper grease is also used, rather than lithium.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

They are to hold the wheel bearing onto the hub. There’s 6 of them each side - M7 x 45mm.

yes you are correct @Fridge these should be steel. I will have a look and see if a plain bolt will fit later on - but I’m guessing they were the cap heads for a reason.

I cannot however find any information on how these fitted onto the old Renaults which is frustrating 

• Like 1

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

They are to hold the wheel bearing onto the hub. There’s 6 of them each side - M7 x 45mm.

yes you are correct @Fridge these should be steel. I will have a look and see if a plain bolt will fit later on - but I’m guessing they were the cap heads for a reason.

I cannot however find any information on how these fitted onto the old Renaults which is frustrating 

I understand that steel cap screws have a higher tensile strength (12.9) than their normal steel equivalents (8.8).

My other S1 owing pal, @madrocket, also confirmed that stainless steel will in fact corrode alloy housings once exposed to moisture and road salt. Accelerated by the use of copper grease, it being conductive.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

They don’t have enough stock - and I’m not keen on stainless in this application. Got another lead on a supplier whom I will try tomorrow.

Now to look at track rod ends and top ball joints again..... as the rubbers have split.

Only here once

If the balljoints aren't bad I'd just buy some replacement boots.

I found these to be better than the original rubbers, which were a lot thinner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-UNIVERSAL-MEDIUM-LARGE-TRACK-ROD-END-BALL-JOINT-RUBBER-FREE-Clamps/253003438785?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Just bought new top ball joints. The track rod ends I think will be getting new rubbers - I’ll measure them tomorrow and order a pair

• Like 1

Only here once

this is what I found on the Racebolt website.

https://raceboltuk.com/technical-information/

Give them a call maybe they have an answer.

Some more info.

https://www.ti64.com/v/vspfiles/assets/docs/fasteners 101.pdf

Esprit Freak

Isn't the purpose of torquing a fastener to create distortion in the threads, so locking the assembly? Would that be the bolt or the housing in this case? Torquing only stresses a fastener, does not increase it's strength in coping with intended loading. What is generally noted in regard to use of titanium fasteners, or engine components for that matter, is sensitivity to galling or notching. Good corrosion resistance however. 

• Gold FFM

Someone give me the answer - new bearings rocked up this afternoon. I’ve now just got the OS hub to clean and recoat and I can start loosely bolting things back together. I’ve got bits strewn everywhere in a logical to Barry way.F2B709F3-E554-4FDD-8141-5CEF1433AA24.thumb.jpeg.d400119b85ec199021682a8d02eac2d1.jpeg

Only here once