Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 13 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

• Gold FFM

Every single nut and bolt cut or sheered off. Rad looks a mess - fins rotted away - but I notice a drain plug missing - I never knew it had one I’ve always just pulled the hose to drain down.

oh well too late now - the whole lots in three or four heaps on the floor. 0A224553-38C0-47A2-88AE-A156C204FAA8.thumb.jpeg.241732bb95ce9b5299509d48ddd1280a.jpeg6C6AD8A3-9E9E-4E38-923D-3A75895F57B8.thumb.jpeg.3967ea611b5a95c57d63cced256813f7.jpeg

anyone know part numbers and aftermarket suppliers of the other two rad things - I’m guessing they are aircon related 

• Confused 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Righto - so the two ally things are aircon condensers - I’ve found a thread for them babies @swindon_alan ??

the other from one is a chargecooler rad - happy days - now I know what’s what I can get them looked at and sorted.

the main rad will be recored and upgraded - I really don’t want overheating to ever be an issue.

• Like 2

Only here once

Best to pressure test the Chargecooler rad & pipes.  If the mechanical pump was inop they could be plugged.  Or, the dual aluminum pipes ahead of the front wheels (or in the backbone) could have pin holes. :cry:

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

22 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Righto - so the two ally things are aircon condensers - I’ve found a thread for them babies @swindon_alan ??

the other from one is a chargecooler rad - happy days - now I know what’s what I can get them looked at and sorted.

the main rad will be recored and upgraded - I really don’t want overheating to ever be an issue.

IMHO, don't do the double air con rad replacement-do what I did. Single rad, same (ish) capacity, no need to re-use the weird double back doubled up pipes.....much tidier and easier to fix next time....

On 04/02/2018 at 14:15, stephenwhyte said:

You’ll get there Barry - keep the faith. I’m so looking forward to hearing your feedback (and photos) after your first run in the S4s.....hopefully with the Futuras fitted. Really pleased that you found an S4s as I know how much love you have for that specific model.B-) Photo attached of a Norfolk Mustard S4s by way of inspiration to get you over the line!?

43C8DD16-C056-4ADC-8259-260D179623A2.jpeg

This is very nice but mica yellow is a far nicer colour?

• Like 2

Now now John, we both know Mica is the best yellow.......but any Yellow S4s Norfolk included (indeed any colour S4s for that matter) is a very special thingB-) 

I’m looking forward to seeing Barry’s done so we can get a proper S4 v S4s comparison:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we already know what the answer will be. Mr Kearley likes to work his cars. The S4 has already made him a very happy Esprit owner. The S4s will be even more delightful to him.

His V8 was just too easy, enormous power but no challenge to his particular style of driving.

We're all different.

I know Barry won't diss the V8, it is another take on the car that we all love.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

21 hours ago, andydclements said:

Those double rads were designed to be one each for chargecooler and aircon.  I guess (never played with a V8 Esprit) the V8 isn't chargecooled.

r

we may be talking about different things-there are two aircon rads joined by a silly y shaped pipe-two y shaped pipes actually-one for in, one for out, to split the ac gas to and from each rad.

Silly silly silly.

• Gold FFM

Rad dropped at the rebuilders today. I’ve had a crap day at work - pulled from pillar to post. They are pressure testing the old oil cooler as well - which I think is actually ok but was weeping according to the PO - the fact I could undo the nuts by hand wouldn’t have helped that!!

did manage to order some nice new fans - Nobby’s gonna sandblast my rad pack frame tomorrow and I just need to do some technical adjustments to bolt the fans on.

will try and order those aircon doobers later when I’m back home.

Only here once

2 hours ago, LotuStuart said:

we may be talking about different things-there are two aircon rads joined by a silly y shaped pipe-two y shaped pipes actually-one for in, one for out, to split the ac gas to and from each rad.

Silly silly silly.

Ah, you mean the Y splitter that goes to the two pipes within the fins. In essence the air-con rad is just two parallel coiled pipes with cooling fins that happen to join both pipes, ditto the CC rad.

As per this from SJ sportscars' site

A082K4226F.jpg?mod=86

On my TE, I had one of those rads, but as it had no air-con ,I had both set up for charge-coolers (in parallel).

• Gold FFM
On 05/02/2018 at 08:23, Chillidoggy said:

Sadly - checkout fails on this - no doubt my Bank accounts will now be emptied by Nigerian fraudsters.

on a brighter note - the new core arrives for the rad today and the oil cooler has pressure tested just fine

Only here once

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

Sadly - checkout fails on this - no doubt my Bank accounts will now be emptied by Nigerian fraudsters.

on a brighter note - the new core arrives for the rad today and the oil cooler has pressure tested just fine

It probably thinks you're a Nigerian prince on a scamming mission.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Given up - bought from a uk supplier - £161.93 inc vat for the pair delivered tomorrow. Still a massive saving over £125ea plus vat from sj

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Yeah I’m sure of that.

will get the rad from blasted and painted today - shed buildiers are behind on my chicken shed - so I have a day to do some invoices, certs and then car time

Only here once

5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Given up - bought from a uk supplier - £161.93 inc vat for the pair delivered tomorrow. Still a massive saving over £125ea plus vat from sj

My rad was around £100, plus making up the two end pipes. Also the Y splitters were fubarred, and would have cost considerably more even if I had been bothered to source them.

All the double backing in the old system also reduces efficiency, and with the new set up the rad i used is common, and the Y splitters will become NLA and are unused, so I do recommend what I did. It also left space around the end of the aircon rad to allow for better airflow to the engine cooling radiators.

Also, it is cool on the few days I get to use the AC-but immeasurably worthwhile when in stationary traffic in the hot hot sun...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Water rad picked up this afternoon - recored to three row and it’s much thicker that’s the old one.

oil cooler has also been given some love, pressure tested and a lick of paint. 

I have got the rad frame back from Nobby - All blast cleaned. Will have a look at it later in the week since the aircon rads come tomorrow.

• Like 2

Only here once

On 07/02/2018 at 14:03, LotuStuart said:

All the double backing in the old system also reduces efficiency, and with the new set up the rad i used is common, and the Y splitters will become NLA and are unused, so I do recommend what I did. It also left space around the end of the aircon rad to allow for better airflow to the engine cooling radiators.

I fitted one modern parallel-flow instead of the two and re-wired the fans using 2 relays so that 2 fans run when the A/C is on, which line up with the condenser and 3 fans run when the otter switch cuts in. Agree that doubled-up arrangement is crazy, likely only one actually does anything.

• Gold FFM

New condenser rads arrived today. Ive had the gas and fire of the sheared bits in the frame and they are now gone.

frame hanging up in the shed after a coat of acid etch grey primer.

i hope the fans come tomorrow - if they do I will rebuild the pack over the weekend

• Like 2

Only here once