Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Time to start explaining - Page 30 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Time to start explaining

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

It ties up with the door cards - I’m sure they are calibra as well. I will have a look at the number on it when it arrives - if it’s the right one that is.

Now you say ....... the ones on my S were motors from an XJS. These I think are gm specific

Probably where I remembered it from, then.

Margate Exotics.

Anyone reading this in the future should note that older Stevens cars had varying window motors fitted.  DON'T just order the Jag XJS motors...the pictures look the same but the motors MIGHT be too large (as was the case with my '88).

A reputable Esprit enthusiast that has owned MANY cars (same affliction as @Barrykearley),  told me that Lotus used  7 - 8 different motors over the life of the Esprit. :scared:

The S4 window lift mechanism was VERY different from older cars.

• Thanks 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Hehe - the S might have had some fettling to make that motor fit.

one mounting hole was different. And there were other mounting holes on the frame that were spare and didn’t fit. There’s definitely a choice with the older ones.

this modern ones a bastard. Can’t get the passenger one to work now

Only here once

• Gold FFM

@swindon_alan- what’s this stupid relay control thing that’s non USA specific 

24AD779C-E980-4767-B387-64FD42B9DDDB.jpeg.3c13e0cb1b979cbc2b63547f3ab0a16f.jpeg

bloody passenger side doesn’t work now unless I swap it out from the s4.

Only here once

Refer to the bloody cross ref section! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

It's the window logic module, I've done a whole post on it, there's a link in the above. Unobtainium by the way unless SJ have some knocking around. However, there is a workaround included which is two spade crimps and a bit of wire...

Oh and I think that your memory is going, Mr Kearley...

• Thanks 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

It’s age chap. I shall wait until my new motor arrives on Tuesday and put it all back together whilst being amazed it still doesn’t work knowing my luck.

tomorrow I will tempt fate and install the boot floor. I may even fit the oil cooler and covers

Only here once

• Gold FFM

@swindon_alan linked out - passenger one works.

i will await the arrival of the replacement motor. 

Fume breather link pipe siliconed into place now drying with clips holding it in situ.

boot floor next. 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Surprised you’re not fixing it down with Dzus fasteners.

Yeah thanks for that.

i need to remove the assorted cableties - fix the vacuum pump cover - and sort the gearbox flappy section by the exhaust. 

Everything is broken or damaged - it’ll have to go back the best it can.

i will order a new sunroof seal from Phoenix as well - there’s a two inch gap at the rear presently and the drivers side clips need sorting.

Only here once

13 minutes ago, cweeden said:

I was tempted to swap the fixings for these, has anyone done it?

cheers

-Chris

Yer, I was considering that as well. The Dzus fasteners with lift up winders like these (titanium by the way, that should wow Ian)

image.png.64ecc3ac599ddfc1ecdb4899060005ef.png

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM
Just now, Chillidoggy said:

Not really Alan, I was taking the piss.

You ? Take  the piss ?

no can’t and won’t believe it

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Carpet stuck up on one half of the rear window. 

Most rivnuts fitted. Repaired some busted fibreglass bits. Straightened up vacuum pump cover, painted it and fitted carpet back to it. 

Hoovered the boot out - and the glovebox - still smells of dead mouse and mouse piss - but it’s better

Will get back to fibreglass fettling later on when it’s dry enough to drill holes in. 

Only here once

40 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Carpet stuck up on one half of the rear window. 

Most rivnuts fitted. Repaired some busted fibreglass bits. Straightened up vacuum pump cover, painted it and fitted carpet back to it. 

Hoovered the boot out - and the glovebox - still smells of dead mouse and mouse piss - but it’s better

Will get back to fibreglass fettling later on when it’s dry enough to drill holes in. 

The piss has probably soaked into the material. Can’t remember, what’s the glove box made of? Is it compressed cardboard, or plastic?

Margate Exotics.