Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S3/Turbo Tyre Options - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S3/Turbo Tyre Options

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 hours ago, esprit22 said:

The tyres are not directional, so the letters could be on the inside for the purists,  but I love em! 

1903.jpg

Is the car pink

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

My Vreds came today - pretty good service from Camskill for £251 all in and just 2 days to get here from order.  Shame I haven't got my car to put them on of course but it will happen soon enough I guess!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I kind of like that pink/magenta  color Bibs filled in—no joke; it reminds me of a ‘70’s “Hot Wheels” car. 

When I was a kid I used to imagine owning a white Esprit...that used glow-in-the-dark paint so everything but the hood/bonnet would glow eerily at night... 

—Back to Tires! 

—Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

1903.thumb.jpg.3fdc354ba6760f1ff542573f3d051a8c.jpg

Thats superb dude!! 

I remember some 20 odd years back, there was a guy who had the exact same car and colour (or color for any Americans) which he raced frequently at Brands Hatch, does anyone else remember this? (or am I having a pink moment...)

5 hours ago, esprit22 said:

Thats superb dude!! 

I remember some 20 odd years back, there was a guy who had the exact same car and colour (or color for any Americans) which he raced frequently at Brands Hatch, does anyone else remember this? (or am I having a pink moment...)

Yep, remember it well.  It was a pink Esprit race car (S2?) with a Ford Cosworth engine in it.

• 1 month later...

I'm going through the same conundrum myself.

To summarise what I think I understand from this thread.

N/A and Turbo are the same tyres?

Mine is an '82 Turbo and I want 4 new tyres so I want to order

Front - 2 x Vredestein Sportrac 5 - 195/60 R15 88V TL

Rear 2 x Vredestein Sportrac 5 - 225/60 R15 96V TL

31682527_10156240908882567_1873335435132808056_n.jpg

'82 Turbo Esprit

• Gold FFM

I have an '84 Turbo and that is what I a running (except mine do not have the TL at the end. I have no idea what that means!).

I have had them for three years and had no issues with them. I have done 14,500 miles in 3 years. Still plenty of tread and grip left. I have been on track a couple of times and would buy the same again.

53 minutes ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

I have an '84 Turbo and that is what I a running (except mine do not have the TL at the end. I have no idea what that means!).

I have had them for three years and had no issues with them. I have done 14,500 miles in 3 years. Still plenty of tread and grip left. I have been on track a couple of times and would buy the same again.

Thanks, I've not idea what the TL is either, just cut and paste the text, ha ha.

31 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

+1 for the Vredsteins.

@Rick - 1982 - Great year for a Turbo :thumbsup:

A very fine vintage :D

'82 Turbo Esprit

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the value of 1 set of old stock new on rim Goodyear NCT for an Esprit,so all still inflated.

they are stored in the dark so out of UV

Maybe for a show car because of age ?

I would use them on road,if I had a car that would wear them..

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject - As Harry Metcalfe has just had Longstone Tyres on his Harrys Garage channel - and as how Harry himself will probably want some tyres at some point for his HC Turbo(!) - I've asked Longstone to look in to what options are available for G T owners.................

Bibs apols I'm not sure who owns/runs the LEW site but I've passed this on to Longstone - http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/tyres.html#top

As per the Metcalfe Longstone video -  Interested to hear what they come back with!

Longstone Tyres - Vintage & Classic Car Tyres
oo that's really good. If every car club was as good as that, it would make my job much easier.

@Bazza 907 I did a bit of cross checking with J. Walton's book on the Esprit and LEW's figures for the Turbo/S3 tally with Walton's. LEW lists the S2's sizes the same as the S1 which is wrong. Correct S2 sizes are 205/60VR14 front and 205/70VR14 rear.

Interesting thing in the book too - say the S3 had the option of having Speedlines with the above tyres on it from the factory.

@GTK  Yes Walton's book is unfortunately wrong. If you look at the press releases the tyres are VR speed rated and developed by Goodyear specifically for the car. I also read that Speedlines were offered but I've never seen an S3 on Speedlines. Would be interesting to see if any ever actually fitted given that they would be 14 inch rather than the BBS and Compomotives were 15inch.  

I seem to remember at the time (yes I am that old) that the car was offered on Speedlines but the price difference between Speedlines and BBS was so small it was unlikely anyone would not go for BBS.