Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyre choice for G Turbo - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre choice for G Turbo

Bazza 907

I'm about to bring my S3 N/A out of hibernation and wondered what the latest thinking is on tyres.

Does anybody have  tyres that they are particularly happy with? There seems to be quite a lot of fronts available (195 60 15) but as ever the rears seem to be the issue (235 60 15).

I'm not keen on advertising a chocolate bar but keen to hear any thoughts.

• Haha 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

The challenge will be to find matching tyres for front and rear (I prefer this but you may not) - I had continental premium contact 2 as my first set of four (rear 225) and now the vredestein sport trac (sp.?) are fitted (done two years ago - also rear 225). v happy with both - There is talk that the vred's tend to be almost as wide as the 235's at the back on this forum somewhere...  and the tread is not too modern. 

The other 'popular' choice is Pirelli P600s on the rear and P6000s on the front.  Pirelli still seems to release new batches of the P600s on a periodic basis.  Think they are also used on some XJS models

I've seen the Pirelli P600's and don't think they look particularly good. They look narrower than some other 225 tyres but I know Lotus suggested that they were the best replacement tyres a few years ago. I think the XJS originally used Goodyear 235 60 ZR 15 tyres as opposed to the VR tyres originally used by Lotus.

@Buddsy - Exactly which vredstein tyres do you have on? they do look good. 

4 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

According to LEW all the original G Turbos had HR spec - That's a little suprising if correct!

That's wrong. They came with Goodyear NCT 235 60 VR 15 tyres

Vredsteins for me - 225/60/15.

I see that they are now available - having been out of stock for a while last year.

Good prompt Barrie.  I've just ordered a set of 4 Vreds (Sportrac 5) from Camskill.  Decision finally made after about 15 years of procrastination!   When I've looked before the speed rating has always been wrong, but it says these will be V rated, so happy with that.  Now all I need is a miracle or two from Sparky and I'l be well set for Combe...

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• Gold FFM

I put 4 x Vredstein Sportrac 5s on mine in 2015. I paid £220 off the internet and £57 to have them fitted.

I have driven 14,000 miles on them since and had no problems at all. I have not gone backwards unintentionally since I got them.

They were replacements for 14 year old tyres. Old and new compared here.

The rears are 225s and have caused no issues being a bit smaller.

And, yes, they do have Giugiaro written on the side!

20150519_130327_resized.jpg

Yes, I went with the Vreds as well and stuck on the Goodyear letters supplied by Tred wear in the U.S. They look great and drive fine too. 

P10204382.jpg

Right, I've ordered some Vredsteins. Total cost £255 including delivery. Looking forward to see how well they suit the car.

Many thanks for all the replies. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wheeler said:

ChrisJ was referring to the picture posted by esprit22 which shows 235 60R 15

I know, thats me!! The tyres are V rated.

Edited by esprit22
info

Apologies Chris - As Kevin said, read the R as the speed rating.

I'd paint the letters black though. :sofa: