Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit factory active suspension development car - Page 4 - For Sale - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit factory active suspension development car

Stuart Monument

Tremendous car and what a project!

Sounds like you have the best contacts for the job already!  I have friends who have experience reverse engineering old chips and boards who may be able to help, give me a shout if needed. 

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it did as no stereo slot in dash. Long gone I'm afraid. Lucky that the car is going back to period active look. So no worry about comps or stereo. I am on the look out for one tho as it's a nice thing to have l.!

• Gold FFM

I was looking at all those wires into the front bonnet area, did they have just one box that looked after everything? What would it have been pilfered and used for? If it was dedicated to the suspension control program what else could it have been used for?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

That is a great looking car. I used to walk passed it everyday when I worked upstairs, but I left 2 years ago. There is a story about the tailgate, I think its a new one made from a mold taken from another one, or something, I didn't take much notice at the time.

I also bought my car from Lotus, it too had a few pieces missing, main ones being the wiper arm and the service history

• Like 2

Was the "development work" the factory suspension upgrade programme Steve? Interesting. A lot of of my accident repair parts came from the S4s to V8 dev + also suspension upgrade car but I didn't know that Lotus had bought older Esprit models for that work?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

9 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Was the "development work" the factory suspension upgrade programme Steve? Interesting. A lot of of my accident repair parts came from the S4s to V8 dev + also suspension upgrade car but I didn't know that Lotus had bought older Esprit models for that work?

Yes, suspension and tyre work. Google the reg. number, you will find a thread on here from 2006 about the car, and some other stuff about the suspension project. I believe it was also used for other things, developing alternative oil filter, starter motor, waste gate  etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bibs said:

They had @GordonMasson's 100G for about 5 years developing the suspension for earlier cars. Sadly due to money, it wasn't even ever finished. 

That is such a shame. I can't believe that. Projects like that should be end to end :ermm:

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

1 hour ago, Steven162 said:

Hi Stuart, that would be good, my car is D779BCX, bought by Lotus in 2004 for development work and sold to me in Aug 2014. Greatest shame is they lost the owners manual and service history, although I have an email from Brian Angus saying it was with the car when they bought it. I looked for it as well as a few other people, it seems to have gone.

It had stood for 4 years when I bought it and was in a bit of a state, rear brakes stuck on, clutch stuck to flywheel, slave cylinder a rusty mess, rotten fuel pipes and carb diaphragms, cracked tyres and cracked belts. Its all good now, it passed its 3 MOT in my ownership on Monday!  

Steve

Steve

Nice photo of your Esprit on page 18 of Lotus Esprit - The Official Story (Jeremy Walton). A great read if you haven't already got it.

IMG_4323.JPG

• Like 2

Thank you. I actually have two copies of the book, I bought a brand new sealed one on eBay a few months ago for £30! and have another to read. The sealed one will stay sealed.

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bibs said:

They had @GordonMasson's 100G for about 5 years developing the suspension for earlier cars. Sadly due to money, it wasn't even ever finished.

When we were at the 100 Esprit's Event at Hethell, Brian asked if he could borrow 100G for a couple of months to do the suspension program for the S1 / S2's

The few months turned into 5 years and as Bibs says they got to the point where Lotus wouldn't commit to "pushing the button" and getting the springs and dampers manufactured as sales items. I am very fortunate to have the development set on my car. I remember seeing the Active Suspension car when I was visiting the factory once. It was through at the stair well and my car was in the reception. I'm not sure if I have any pictures of it from that visit but I will have a look. 

100G was used for various displays while it was there and also spent a period in the design studio, (apparently as a source of inspiration) and It was used as a backdrop when MJK retired. I also managed to get a few pics of it outside what used to be the front of the factory where the orange S1 was pictured. 

!!!!Now and then.jpg

!!!! ReceptionSCF1612.jpg

!!!!!Lotus Design Studio2.JPG

!!!!!Mike Kimberley Retireme.jpg

• Like 2