Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 123 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

I just did a car limits day in my IPS Evora S and it was phenomenal! The IPS was faultless and shifted quickly and efficiently. Not once did I think it shifted slowly or did I miss having a manual. It was super quick and I kept up with an exige 410 and actually quicker at times. The ratios are different which could of helped in this scenario but really it was great. 

I'm sure the 400 shift is even better but don't discount S1 cars. 

• Like 2

Lots of posts about the IPS and slow shifts but the reality is that the shifts themselves are perfectly fast enough it is the time between requesting a shift and getting it is the critical bit. Once you are used to it - as with any car - you drive the car in the way that makes it work for you. Manual shifts are not any quicker - in fact the shift itself is much slower. It works because you think and move your hand to the lever in anticipation. The IPS box can't anticipate anything. PDK / DSG / Powershift react to the paddles quicker which is useful for overtaking but for a pre-planned overtake you should be in the right gear before you start not fiddling about changing gear.

My old car is up for sale again at Silverstone.  I sold it 18 months ago.

https://www.lotussilverstone.co.uk/vehicle-details/Lotus-Evora-U284/

• Gold FFM

I haven't driven an IPS but I have and have had a number of both automatics and automated manual cars.

Autos are great around town, on long trips, on fast drives... Pretty much everywhere really and a lot of fun to bang through the gears, even old automated manuals are fine once you learn to drive around their quirks. I still miss a manual though. It's a very personal decision.

If I was doing big miles or driving mainly around town, I think an IPS is actually probably a better solution than a manual overall on merit. But I still went for a manual because an auto was a deal breaker!

I posted a few days back that I am interested in an Evora, under a topic ‘the definitive buyers guide’ and had a useful reply on what to go for, and now the thread has vanished!

I will start again, but this time a more definitive question.

I have found 2016 Evora 350 2+2 with an IPS box and 37000kms on the clock, black leather with red piping. Looks good and drives well. Apparantly I have an option to buy up to 4 years warranty (but not read the exclusions yet!) I know the 350 is not as quick as say, a 2017 model, but frankly, the French Govt have killed anything to do with spirited driving, so a second extra on the 0-100 is maybe a good thing here!

does anyone have any plus or minus points on the 350 please?

Thanks

Hal

Edited by Pacederon

13 hours ago, Pacederon said:

I posted a few days back that I am interested in an Evora, under a topic ‘the definitive buyers guide’ and had a useful reply on what to go for, and now the thread has vanished!

I will start again, but this time a more definitive question.

I have found 2016 Evora 350 2+2 with an IPS box and 37000kms on the clock, black leather with red piping. Looks good and drives well. Apparantly I have an option to buy up to 4 years warranty (but not read the exclusions yet!) I know the 350 is not as quick as say, a 2017 model, but frankly, the French Govt have killed anything to do with spirited driving, so a second extra on the 0-100 is maybe a good thing here!

does anyone have any plus or minus points on the 350 please?

Thanks

Hal

You will not notice the difference on the road between an Evora S and Evora 400 - both are plenty quick enough.

Comes down to personal taste as to whether you prefer the look of the S1 cars or the Evora 400 onwards cars.

Evora S would ride those knobbly French B roads better than the Evora 400.

2 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Evora S would ride those knobbly French B roads better than the Evora 400

And the Evora NA would be even better and sweeter than the S.  The Evora is one of those cars where more power doesn't necessarily mean more....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I think the S has a lot more drama than the N/A, it accelerates much better. After a day on track in an S, I actually thought the handbrake was still on when I floored my N/A going home.

I noticed a big difference on Alps road trips too, my S doesn’t lose its pull like my old N/A did. I think the S Sport Racer is the sweet spot for the S1. If I change it, it would only be for a GT model.  

• Like 2

On the track, yes @Gazm the extra power of the S will be apparent. However, when I had my NA, with 2bular headers and decat she was not dropped on many IoM trips on very fast roads by either V6 Exiges or Evora 400's.  You can through headers and decat pipe/sport cat get the NA to around 295bhp easily and the power to weight is then very close to an S. Without the weight, relatively high up of the supercharger, the NA is just sweetness itself. I went from that NA to an Evora 410 and actually, I preferred my NA on "normal roads", to me it is the sweetest thing to drive on the road. You get it above 4k revs, keep it there and the NA really talks to you. It's sublime in my very humble opinion.  I think it should be noteworthy that someone who went from the NA to a 410 still holds the NA in such high esteem. It certainly never felt underpowered to me. Yes, you had to wring its neck but boy did it respond.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

3 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Um.  Sorry, having owned both - yes you will.

Agree it's down to personal taste, but here's my my oversimplified 10 cents:

400 definitely quicker.  Honestly.  I did significant mileage in my S and the difference in the 400 was noticeable straight away, even for someone with my limited driving abilities.

400 has a firmer ride (something about reducing the bump-steer in the S1), but still not as harsh as a "sports" car from any German brand - so not as comfortable for long journeys as the S1, but more comfortable than say, a 3 series with M suspension.

400 has much more aggressive turn in, and more responsive to steering inputs (also from the bump-steer changes, as I understand it).

S1 Cabin feels more luxurious, but the HVAC is significantly better in the 400 and the buttons are better positioned.

S1 Seats are an order of magnitude more comfortable, but heavier.

having had a launch edition manual 276hp, an S IPS 350hp and now a 400 manual i agree 100% on all the above. 400 a noticeable step up on speed but a firmer ride...

construction and property consultants : My company

On 24/08/2020 at 11:52, DaveC72 said:

Um.  Sorry, having owned both - yes you will.

My point was 'on the road' where a few tenths here or there or a fraction of a second longer at full throttle is pretty irrelevant. Clearly the 400 is technically faster, but as others have pointed out even an N/A on the road is plenty quick enough.

S v 400 - you are not going to be disappointed by either performance wise.

Another topic altogether, but some of the 600bhp plus cars on the road now are totally pointless unless you use them on a track.

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

Congrats Hal! The car is already over-braked, you'll be just fine with the standard pads mate, even on track and I've had no issues with brake dust to be fair :thumbup:

I found that with enthusiastic driving in the mountains that you can suffer with significant brake fade (I am usually gentle on brakes).  If I hadn't sold my car I was going to upgrade the pads and discs