Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine removal S4 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine removal S4

Jphoenix

Finally getting around to replacing the clutch (before it starts slipping or wearing into the flywheel). It’s been four years since I did the cam belt, so I figured, while I’m in there. 

Got all the fidddly bits removed except for the AC compressor and Power steering hoses. I can get access to the ac compressor better after I raise the engine up a bit, but I cannot even see where the PS hoses attach to the pump, much less get a wrench on them.

Any suggestions on where to access those fittings from? I can get to the coolant hoses in the front of the engine, been there last time I did the cam belt, but have not pulled the engine before, so this is taking some time while I figure things out. Got the roll pins out, wiring harness disconnected, etc.  but the PS pump is challenging me ☹️.

Exhaust manifold still installed, it looks like I can leave it on without any clearance problems?

Edited by Jphoenix

• Gold FFM

When I did mine just recently, there was one that stayed on the PS pump and that I set again and tightened off the car before I put the pump back in (engine insitu). The other one I was able to get off. One pipe has a steel return which goes into the pump. You will not get it undone on the car at the pump. Follow the hose along and undo the next union which if I remember rightly is beside the chassis.

You should be able to lift the engine out then.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Yep. Could do that as well. :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Well too hot today to tackle the engine, so just cleaning parts and mopping coolant off the floor 😬 We're spoiled here in Seattle, 92 degrees is murderous!

Got lots of parts on order, new clutch kit, blue belt, idler bearing, gaskets and o-rings - just shy of $1000 worth of parts for the job - and JAE threw new roll pins in free - love those guys.

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Jphoenix13 said:

Well too hot today to tackle the engine, so just cleaning parts and mopping coolant off the floor 😬 We're spoiled here in Seattle, 92 degrees is murderous!

Got lots of parts on order, new clutch kit, blue belt, idler bearing, gaskets and o-rings - just shy of $1000 worth of parts for the job - and JAE threw new roll pins in free - love those guys.

That's only 33 degrees Celsius. That's not hot. Just ask @Kimbers. He loves it hot. (depending on which topic you read. :hrhr:

14 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

I am hot!

image.jpeg.4e80d24149a62cde5a713a32399ad0a0.jpeg

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

33 degrees just sounds better, I’m getting a thermometer that reads in C.

Decided to split the gearbox off and lift it out first, that was easy. Now I can lean the engine back a bit and have just a tiny bit more rom up front to disconnect stuff. Cooling off tomorrow, back to normal so I can wallow in the puddles of fluid on the floor in comfort while I drop tools on my face.

Boxes continue to arrive from the brown parcel trucks, wife is getting suspicious of my cost estimate - as always.

On 20/08/2018 at 21:46, Chillidoggy said:

Or, if you have problems with that, you could unbolt the pump from its bracket, and swing it out of the way while you remove the engine.

But then I would not have power steering fluid puddles to wallow in.

4 hours ago, Jphoenix said:

33 degrees just sounds better, I’m getting a thermometer that reads in C.

Decided to split the gearbox off and lift it out first, that was easy. Now I can lean the engine back a bit and have just a tiny bit more rom up front to disconnect stuff. Cooling off tomorrow, back to normal so I can wallow in the puddles of fluid on the floor in comfort while I drop tools on my face.

Boxes continue to arrive from the brown parcel trucks, wife is getting suspicious of my cost estimate - as always.

But then I would not have power steering fluid puddles to wallow in.

I hear what you're saying, Jim. You could always remove the fuel tank balance pipe, and wallow around in what appears to be about 5 gallons of petrol. That should spice things up a bit. Don't ask me how I know...……..

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

First check if there is a drain, on my SE there was one on the right tank. Or use the pump to pump the fuel in a jerrycan or such. Last time I only got a few drops when disconnecting the balance pipe. Most of it evaporated before I could wallow in it. :)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Box of goodies 🙂

Old clutch disc measures just at 5.9mm - on the limit. Engine coming out tomorrow, then valve adjustment starts. I'll be looking for cracked cam followers per Travis' recommendation some many threads and posts ago - only 53,500 miles on this car, so maybe they're OK.

Green dot pulley to match its friend already moved from the idler to the intake side. Slave cylinder rebuild kit-exactly same slave as my TR6: http://www.jimphoenix.com/triumph-tr6/

IMG_1828.JPG

Engine came out this morning, I decided to remove the transaxle first, then engine. Got the PS hoses off no problem, AC compressor was a bitch because I didn't want to disconnect the hoses since the AC is putting out 34 degree air (F, ha ha, not C). All cleaned up, ready for parts replacement and valve adjustment.

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

• Like 2

306362BF-FBCC-4713-86F1-9D9652DF120E.jpeg

Edited by Jphoenix13
Clarify posting is photos for the Chili Dog, not related to engine, just needed the photo attached to something to post in a message.

• 2 weeks later...