Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Refurbishing the front grill (S1) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Refurbishing the front grill (S1)

Just a small sample of the flaky paint brushed off my rusty front grill. :(

I have a bottle of 'Kurust', which eventually I will go over the grill with carefully before a new layer of topcoat goes on.

I wish it were easier to remove the grill without having to take the whole front clam off!

IMG_3048.jpg

Edited by trcm

Registered in 2016, but I believe its probably a 2014 model. I store it in a dry garage too, it seems the rust creeps along under the paint and isnt really noticeable until you touch the grill and it starts to flake away.

I wonder if there's an aftermarket, plastic alternative.  Mine is a MY12 and is also a bit flakey.  I might be taking front clam off over the winter and re-doing this as well.  I've not tinkered with my car much yet, does the clam come of quite easily?  Any delicate parts to be wary of when removing?

About 48 nuts, bolts and screws (and a second person to help) to remove the front clam, so no, it does not come off 'easily' sadly.

I can't dedicate the time to doing this currently, so the grill is going to remain rusty for a while yet.

I did my old one whilst still on the car, mask round it, wire brush then harmerite,  personally wouldn't bother taking the clam off to do it unless it's coming off anyway.

Gav 

• Like 2

i uses that too, was recommended from another forum member.... even if you have to give it a quick brush over every two years its still easier than removing the clam..

i used gloss i think..

works perfect looks great, obviously if you stick you nose up against it you can see its hand painted,  but from a couple of feet away its ace

I'm going with Kurust and then "Hammerite 5084863 HAM6722001Metal Paint - Smooth Black", bit concerned the parts I can't see will rust away to nothing if I don't remove the clam and do a 'proper job'...

Flag rust converter is really good, it leaves a nice mat black finish that can be top coated, or left as. 

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 hours ago, electro_boy said:

@21gg is this the product you used?

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/direct-to-rust-metal-paint-satin-finish/

Does it cope with the heat from the radiators OK?

Can't remember if it was satin or gloss but yes that's the stuff.

Gav 

• Gold FFM

I painted mine (21gg's old one) with Kurust about a year ago and didn't bother following up with any topcoat of paint as the rust-converter left a nice satin finish and, more importantly, I'd reached the limits of my will to live by that time.

Here's a pic taken this morning - there are a few tiny spots of fresh rust starting to emerge but overall it has lasted quite well.

61090211_EvoraSR04.jpg.5944fc351c5c23c404100ebe007f7372.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

If anyone is interested in replacing their grill with stainless steel mesh I have spent some hours online and took a punt with this:

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/8718475519119/vidaxl-stainless-steel-expanded-wire-mesh-panel-100x85-cm-30x17x25mm

It turned up today and is IDENTICAL spacing and thickness to the original grill, just needs a bit of cutting, forming, etch primer and paint now..... Oh and the bumper removing to do all this... I'll post pictures once I get round to doing it... Could be a while before it happens 😁

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

They just got painted as trying to replace would be too difficult due to the three dimensional shape. 

I had brush painted them before but it was really time consuming and there was always the danger of the grill scraping the paint off the brush into a blob which drips.

This time I masked up all the surrounding paint work, gave them a good wire brushing and then painted using a small foam emulsion roller.

As long as you don't overload the roller the paint goes on really nicely and it takes a fraction of the time.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Out of interest, for the top grills, can you replace the S1 grills with the E400 set back ones?

I suspect it would mean taking the whole clam off so you would want to do it when you are doing something serious like the clutch but is it just a sleeve and set back grill or is the whole clamshell different?