Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4s rolling restoration project - Page 24 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4s rolling restoration project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
On 28/04/2023 at 22:53, Giniw said:

Talking about engine movement, is there enough slack to accommodate the engine displacement relative to the air box in the side wall?

Having said there is only one we'll find out - that is certainly true of my new pipe - the stainless tube I replaced was absolutely fine for the past 10 months, so I don't forsee this new version causing any issues :)

• Like 1

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Air intake pipe appears to be working well still, so all good on that front.

Done a few odd jobs on the car too today. First was installation of a Forge BOV.

PXL_20230610_160748042.jpg.254327d78219a88b31bd37c4ef9e61cd.jpg

PXL_20230610_160808452.jpg.3ebc3fc1b0c4e40db65b2538b85837f2.jpg

I've also successfully installed a plug and play - up to a point - remote central locking system to the car too.

PXL_20230610_152504052.jpg.20a97d025571691b1fec70d87f465368.jpg

You can follow the development of that little project in a separate thread here:

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I got them from a seller on eBay. I'd have to check my purchase history to find exactly who.

Funnily ebough I have a S4 pair from the same seller in my garage too. The seller didn't originally do plates for the S4s, despite me asking. So I bought a set of S4 plates and they sat about in the garage for some time. Then recently I found them selling S4s plates 🙄 so I ended up buying them too. I can send you some photos of the S4 plates if you're interested in buying them @RobinB5.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

I got them from a seller on eBay. I'd have to check my purchase history to find exactly who.

Funnily ebough I have a S4 pair from the same seller in my garage too. The seller didn't originally do plates for the S4s, despite me asking. So I bought a set of S4 plates and they sat about in the garage for some time. Then recently I found them selling S4s plates 🙄 so I ended up buying them too. I can send you some photos of the S4 plates if you're interested in buying them @RobinB5.

Ooo yes please Tom! Quote me silly ;)

• Gold FFM

It's a GM part (90355463) used as a bonnet switch from Vauxhall's and Saab's from the nineties @fjmuurling. Not sure exactly where I bought that one, I've had it waiting to go back into the car for a while. I'll see if I can find where I bought it in my paperwork.

• Gold FFM

Just looked back through my invoices for the car @fjmuurling and I got the switch from Bell & Colvill through their DeRoure website.

https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/?i=1341063&MAK=4&MDL=48&TBL=12604&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=90355463&SC=0&PBID=1024013

90355463 is listed as a Saab part, but it's exactly the same item as the Lotus part A082M6587F. Price has gone up a couple of quid since I bought mine two years ago, but does still appear to be available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

MOT day today; thankfully it passed. Unfortunately on the subsequent drive home Oxfordshire's pothole ridden roads claimed my rear view mirror, it's currently rattling around in the passenger footwell.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

The casting has sheared right between the two fitting screws @Gjk. I nearly fell off my seat when I saw the price of a replacement 😩

• Gold FFM

What do you want for it @Gjk?

I presume that means the mirror can be separated from the ball joint on the remains of arm without causing further damage?

• Gold FFM

The ball can be removed from the mirror but it’s a tight fit! There is also a risk when inserting the ball back into the mirror. I broke the dipping function of the mirror when I refitted my original mirror to the original stalk. On my replacement mirror I trimmed some material from the mirror so it popped in a little easier. The risk is if you remove to much the mirror will flop around.

I have no idea how much the stalk is worth but I’m open to offers. Drop me a pm.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Gold FFM

While conducting some tests on the remote CDL project today I discovered this abomination in the passenger footwell.

PXL_20230702_161010663.jpg.0c5603335d2baaaf07644af89c7efd11.jpg

I really hope this isn't how it left the factory. More worryingly I dread to think how many sins that is all hiding 😞

That is exactly how it left the factory. I think it encases the aircon expansion valve :) 

It's getting there......

Concur regarding the expansion valve glop, less pleased to think the masking tape was factory.

The black stuff is “non sweat” (tape). 
if the parts are left as bare metal lots of water condenses/sweats on to it then drops into your footwell as a nice puddle. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I have to say I'm astounded that is how it left the factory, but so be it. You live and learn. At least it's something I can remove from the previous owner(s) un-bodge list!

A water puddle in the footwell is unlikely in mine, the A/C is not pressurised and in unknown condition 😆