Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Help with Evora needed - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Help with Evora needed

BernardT

Hi, 

This is my first time on a forum so I hope I've set it up correctly. Here goes....I've always fancied a Lotus but never been in the position or the timing has not been right to purchase one. Now I'm looking to buy an Evora later this year.

1. However, there is a 'small' problem. My drive, the pavement and the road are all on 3 very slightly different levels and I've no idea if an Evora would scrape its bottom because of the angle between each surface. Hope this makes some sense and is not a load of gibberish!  

The nearest dealer is like 60 miles away and I don't know anyone who owns an Evora who could perhaps test this out to see if I can get one onto the drive. I've attached a photo of my current 1 series Beamer so you can can see what I'm talking about. Would any Evora owner be willing to visit me to test this out, not expecting you to damage your car of course! Would love to chat about all things Lotus/Evora with a another enthusiast and I'd be willing to pay your petrol costs. I live in Herne Bay in Kent!

2. Could anyone tell me the width of an Evora door? My drive is 3m wide so I need to make sure there is enough space so I can get in and out!

Thanks, Bernard

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bernard,

The ground clearance on the Evora is very good - mine doesn’t make contact going onto my drive whereas my E Class does, so that will give you an indication.  I’m sure there’s someone on here who lives near to you but you should be fine getting in and out with a 3m drive.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Same here, my 2004 mini cooper catches where my evora doesn't, looking at the photos I would say you will be fine.

I literally wouldn't give it a second thought......

The Evora 400 has a mid laden clearance of 140mm.  

To put this into perspective, our other car (a 2017 Civic type R) has a clearance of 118mm, which seems to be at a worst case point below the sump.

I don't know if you could make any use of the approach angle data etc, but again, the Evora is not particularly nose heavy or low at the front splitter.  The Civic for example has quite a protruding front splitter with deflectors underneath and yet I managed to navigate the descent ramp from the top deck of a ferry last year without the hint of a scrape.

As Ledlights stated, you are more likely to scrape a conventional car than an Evora, although the clearances for the 410 and 430 would be slightly reduced from the 140mm figure but still unlikely to be an issue

The front mudflaps on my Evora do scrap ever-so-slightly as I pull in to my driveway (which descends) but at the right approach angle I can clear it okay.  My drive is much much steeper than your pictures show so I think you'll be fine!

And the door when fully open extends about 1m from the car.

1 hour ago, BernardT said:

However, there is a 'small' problem. My drive, the pavement and the road are all on 3 very slightly different levels and I've no idea if an Evora would scrape its bottom because of the angle between each surface. Hope this makes some sense and is not a load of gibberish!

Bernard. Welcome aboard. Even with the stamp duty costs, it is worth moving house to own an Evora...……

Justin

PS. it will be fine, I am sure. Most of my Lotus have ground clearance scraps and the mechanicals are protected by undertrays. The Evora has good ground clearance compared to many dedicated sports cars. 

Hi mate that’s nothing compared to my driveway (which is steep as a MF) and Evora cleared it every time with zero scrapes. My Cayman GTS struggled, as did the Mrs V’s Volvo V40 😂

You’ll be absolutely fine!!

Edited by london_v

Thanks to you all, that's great. Just need to sort out a car port now as we can't have a garage built. This should make a few of you smile......my wife and I went to Bell and Colville earlier this year (I felt like a kid in a sweet shop...I want this one and that one etc..!). I was concerned about keeping the car outside and wondered if the weather would affect the car ( I intend to use it as often as possible), the very nice man said I need not worry - look outside, these are parked there all year round in all sorts of weather! I felt a bit of a muppet really!

Bernard  

36 minutes ago, BernardT said:

Just need to sort out a car port now as we can't have a garage built

I have a carport and an outdoor car cover - which I would recommend the ones you can buy on here, if you sign up to the forum you get free delivery!  Not sure what your budget is but Snows at Hedge End have a nice looking 2015 NA Sports Racer in Grey 🙂

1 hour ago, BernardT said:

Thanks to you all, that's great. Just need to sort out a car port now as we can't have a garage built. This should make a few of you smile......my wife and I went to Bell and Colville earlier this year (I felt like a kid in a sweet shop...I want this one and that one etc..!). I was concerned about keeping the car outside and wondered if the weather would affect the car ( I intend to use it as often as possible), the very nice man said I need not worry - look outside, these are parked there all year round in all sorts of weather! I felt a bit of a muppet really!

Bernard  

My Evora 410 sport lived outside and it was absolutely fine! Just make sure you’ve got easy access to a plug via an extension as the battery will need to be trickled charged especially through winter!

Shame I just sold my car, as otherwise would have driven down to test your driveway ramp for you!!

Just washed the car and took this - it shows slope of driveway, the mud flaps ‘just’ graze as I go over the top, there is a channel in the paving as well so the wheels drop slightly in it...so I really think you’ll be fine 😃

627B63E8-44AE-4A9B-9EAB-A313DC3FC33F.jpeg

I grew up in Herne Bay and my kids are still there. Would be happy to pop over and give you a proof of concept some time. Whereabout in the town are you, Curtis Wood Park by chance? 

Mine lives outside, admittedly under a TLF Outdoor Cover at times but suffers no ill effects other than I have to clean it more often than perhaps I'd like! 

Welcome :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

6 hours ago, EGTE said:

What measurement did you want with the doors, exactly?

Do you have a side wall or border to the parking space to consider ?

just back from cinema and I often park in parents spot (I have my young daughter ) but it’s great as it’s wide.

the regular spots in main car park are ok but you get a stupid person parking so tight you can’t open the doors !

22 hours ago, london_v said:

My Evora 410 sport lived outside and it was absolutely fine! Just make sure you’ve got easy access to a plug via an extension as the battery will need to be trickled charged especially through winter!

Shame I just sold my car, as otherwise would have driven down to test your driveway ramp for you!!

Thanks, no problem. I've got a spare duvet so will use this!!

20 hours ago, Techyd said:

Just washed the car and took this - it shows slope of driveway, the mud flaps ‘just’ graze as I go over the top, there is a channel in the paving as well so the wheels drop slightly in it...so I really think you’ll be fine 😃

627B63E8-44AE-4A9B-9EAB-A313DC3FC33F.jpeg

Great thank you. Love the car and the plate.

8 hours ago, EGTE said:

What measurement did you want with the doors, exactly?

My drive is 3m wide and the car is 2m wide. I just wanted to make sure I had enough width that allows the car door to open enough that would allow me to get out without needing an op!

2 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

Do you have a side wall or border to the parking space to consider ?

just back from cinema and I often park in parents spot (I have my young daughter ) but it’s great as it’s wide.

the regular spots in main car park are ok but you get a stupid person parking so tight you can’t open the doors !

Hi, yes the drive has a wall on either side. Its 3m wide so I just wanted to make sure I could open the door enough to be able to get out without needing an op!

16 hours ago, Bibs said:

I grew up in Herne Bay and my kids are still there. Would be happy to pop over and give you a proof of concept some time. Whereabout in the town are you, Curtis Wood Park by chance? 

Mine lives outside, admittedly under a TLF Outdoor Cover at times but suffers no ill effects other than I have to clean it more often than perhaps I'd like! 

Welcome :)

Hi, that would be absolutely great, many thanks. The feedback I've had is all very positive so if you'd like to pop over thats really very kind of you. We live in the Talmead Estate. Whereabouts are you then?

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

It's a lot easier to get in and out with the window down when that happens. 

It would be case but if your old like me that option disappeared years ago ! 

Mind you if I got my gymnastic daughter with me which I usually do,  I could get her to back flip out of the window and help me out ? Lol 

16 minutes ago, BernardT said:

We live in the Talmead Estate. Whereabouts are you then?

I'm in West Malling now but I grew up in Greenhill, lived there for 20 years. A drive down is no problem :thumbsup:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

On 01/06/2019 at 18:18, Bibs said:

I'm in West Malling now but I grew up in Greenhill, lived there for 20 years. A drive down is no problem :thumbsup:

Thanks thats very kind of you. How do we arrange this, there is no rush.

On 05/06/2019 at 09:26, Bibs said:

Pop me your number via the PM system and I'll call when I'm next heading down mate :thumbup:

Many thanks. Sorry, but what's the PM system and how do I access it!?