Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Whoops...... - Page 3 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Whoops......

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

Right - what an awful day today..... trip down to Llandovery to put in a cable at a chicken shed - 1hours work - 5 hour round trip...

back home and rip out the back seats to investigate the headers. Rear box has been swapped to a Larini and I’m keen to know if anything else has been addressed. Considered taking it upto Nobby’s to put on the ramp - but I fear removing the bottom tray is not going to be the 10min job it should be.

So seats out - cover plate removed - and I don’t know if I’m happy or sad to say it’s got standard headers on it. Now - the plus is I can add some loveliness to the loud pedal - the negative being I will need to splash some cash.

big question is has anyone tried simply knocking out the existing cat located in the manifolds and does that free things up a little - or has anyone fitted these manifolds insitu?? I see many cases of folks paying others - but I do like to do these things myself.

anyone ??

Only here once

I self installed the full 2bular in mine. 

You need a lift, new close clicking ratchet, lots of swearing to get the old out and new in,  but yes its definitely possible with a mate. One person no way. 

Lovely car. Congrats

• Like 1

Yes it increased power and removed heat from the engine bay. 

But it was a disappointment due to hassle of late and piecemeal delivery, not being equal length, poorly jigged (His first outsourced batch according to Jim) so fitting one bank was a nightmare and the y pipe thus hung well below the floor so I had to go to a welder/exhaust place for it to be cut up in multiple places, new sections inserted and the harger cut and changed to make it fit. no refund nor replacement items being offered. 

Jim is friendly, full of excuses, and the product was majorly disappointing. He coukd have offered to do the decent thing but ofcourse nothing.

• Gold FFM

Looking about today I’m stunned at the lack of choice tuning wise.

no one seems to be able to say what gains are delivered by changing manifolds and changing cats etc. I can’t believe this hasn’t been documented somewhere. Certainly changes on the Esprit manifolds made a big difference and that’s been proved by @CHANGES on Dyno - so manifold typical gains are known.

CAI kits seem to moot 20 whp gains. I’ve just spoken to a local tuner and I think the only way of figuring this out is to drop the car on a dyno at some point and get a baseline.

surely all of this has been done already by someone? 

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

...surely all of this has been done already by someone? 

Search is your friend: ;)

When you refer to lack of choice, don’t forget that you are dealing with a very limited market - only approximately 500 of the original Evoras were ever sold in the U.K. 

Once you’ve changed the hardware (which your car seems to be mainly there), then the tricky bit will be the software. Lotus started encrypting their ECU software in 2012-14 so most tuners don’t bother trying to crack it. The market is too small to make it worthwhile.  

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Just pull that Japanese rubbish out and drop a Lotus 918 in there.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

no one seems to be able to say what gains are delivered by changing manifolds and changing cats etc. I can’t believe this hasn’t been documented somewhere. Certainly changes on the Esprit manifolds made a big difference and that’s been proved by @CHANGES on Dyno - so manifold typical gains are known.

CAI kits seem to moot 20 whp gains. I’ve just spoken to a local tuner and I think the only way of figuring this out is to drop the car on a dyno at some point and get a baseline.

surely all of this has been done already by someone? 

This was well documented on my S1/S in 2013 and 2016 with changes to airfilters, exhaust, tune, with baselines and after dyno runs totally 17 hrs. Posted in threads on the other forum under Julian73, also a few YouTube videos BOE Evora S tuning ..

Progression: 2013 baseline, KT Header, factory cat, KT cat, KT tune, stock AF, K&N drop in filter, customized KT tune, development of BOE CAI; undocumented change of stock muffler to Lotus sport exhaust and later Larini, 2016: baseline, install BOE headers, install latest Lotus tune, custom tune with BOE FastTrack.

The car listed is a non S launch edition in the UK.  There is no known tuner in the UK. I'm not even sure that Komotec has anything now. I think it will need some trawling through old threads to find anyone who tried airbox or cat and exhaust manifold (header) changes. I don't remember seeing any dyno runs published on the na cars. ES motorsports have played with various configurations on the Evora and may have something, but again I haven't seen anything published as a 'kit'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

no one seems to be able to say what gains are delivered by changing manifolds and changing cats etc. I can’t believe this hasn’t been documented somewhere.

I think it's because installing the manifolds is a much bigger job than an CAI.  Something that the average person at home with some spanners may not be confident to do and will cost a bit more in a garage.  The CAI kits on the other hand are relatively easy to fit for someone who is not experienced.  So I think you tend to see people performing the mods in the following order: Exhaust back box > CAI > manifolds > ECU tune

So you won't see many if any results from power tests with just the manifolds changing.  There are a few posts round with CAI + headers / full exhaust mods + ECU tune and are able to get ~300 bhp from the car after all the mods.

I've just got Larini headers + BOE fab CAI + new ECU and custom tune on my NA car al installed by ES motorsports and they were able to get 313bhp out the car, although I think their dyno is optimistic as they managed to squeeze out 285bhp on the base run which is a bit more than normal.  Also the car is temporarily running without any cat converter at all so is probably running a monster tune that would not be suitable for cars with cats.  All to be rectified later on this year ... 

I have a spare set of standard manifolds available if you want to experiment bashing out the interior of the cats without ruining your current ones.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bruss said:

The car listed is a non S launch edition in the UK.  There is no known tuner in the UK. I'm not even sure that Komotec has anything now. I think it will need some trawling through old threads to find anyone who tried airbox or cat and exhaust manifold (header) changes. I don't remember seeing any dyno runs published on the na cars. ES motorsports have played with various configurations on the Evora and may have something, but again I haven't seen anything published as a 'kit'.

BOE has tuned NA cars, and does most of the Lotus Cup Evoras in the US.  Tune is loadable through cable link.. worldwide

• Gold FFM

M5x20 screws for the high level brake light 

just cleaned again - and removed the Evora badge as that was a bit floppy on the A 👍

B50BF9CD-D054-4B53-B3A8-0F098404A4C6.jpeg.9315b443c4f297a3a9b8e38af118d2c6.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once