Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
600bhp Esprit Se - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

600bhp Esprit Se

madmezza

Send a request for disclosure to the patent office and they will supply you the full written text, explanation and any working designs and diagrams, all for an admin charge. You could then build one to confirm his theory and you will not infringe the patent, so long as do not reproduce, sell or make money from the use of the patent...... then alter the design.... improve.... re-patent...... we all buy it.... you get loaded..... oppps shouldn't have spilt the beans.......

Absolutely fed up with the ebay car scam.... resitstors to increase HP....... bits of metal to stick in your air intake........ bilge pumps from boat as electric superchargers..... the list goes on....

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The address on the patent is the same as Hayward and Scott http://www.haywardandscott.com/ they are well know for building quality exhausts. which leaves me confused

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Yeah, I spotted that when this thread started. IIRC the 'Scott' part of H&S is no longer directly involved with day to day running of the business. Had already decided that next time I speak to Ian (manager at H&S) to ask him if he knew anything about the 'David Kent' system and what, if any, actual involvement H&S may have had.

Meantime it strikes me that the patent application was fairly obviously the work of David Kent. Indeed, at one point he even stated "I solely designed the system and my partner Gordon Scott, implemented the ideas." Says it all I reckon :P

Excuse me but what a load of shit! have you looked at the exhaust design? 100% increase...................................................I for one am not surprised that there are no Dyno print outs with the patent application! It amazes me what someone thinks they are going to gain from this, most people who have a spare

Edited by barryj

Suppose the design of the exhaust could generate a venturi effect and suck the gasses out faster. Perhaps he has lots of small magnets making an ionisation field, and drags the gas electromagnetically. Even stranger idea perhaps he is feeding the fuelline up the inside of the exhaust and some weird quantum poop is happening and causing fusion of atoms and the resultant pressure from the particles leaving the exhaust at high speed acts like a rocket.........

Whos up for offering an esprit for a try before you buy......? Thought not.....

Edited by Setras

Hi,

This thread is quite an interesting read. :lol: If this exhaust system does increase the power output by 100%, surely the engine is going to require a serious rebuild to cope with this power? I've built and repaired loads of engines in my time in the trade and even a Lotus engine as tuned as it is will still need rebuilding to cope with the extra power, especially 600bhp, plus the clutch, the gearbox, the driveshafts etc, etc. Just look what Lotus had to do to the Carlton, and that was 300ish BHP.

I use to own a Rover SDI V8 and looked at fitting a suprcharger to the engine. Nice bit of kit it was, Simplex I think, said it could be fitted in a day, less if you knew what you were doing (which helps :lol: ). But even fitting this to a reasonably tough engine like the Rover V8 the compression had to be reduced with thicker head gaskets which came in the kit, and the supercharger didn't increase the power output anything like this guy is claiming his exhaust system will do.

Like someone has said, the figures are F1 performance, and look at the amount of money they spend developing any system on their cars to squeeze every last drop of power out of the engine and the rest of the car, a lot more than what this guy has perhaps spent.

The simple answer is, if you want more power out of your Esprit, fit a Mr. Fusion on it! :o Worked on a Delorean, which is basically a Lotus with another badge on it! :o also your car will fly, so thats got to be an added bonus! <_<:lol:

Owen.

Patent link is broken so I can't read how it's supposed to work. The only way I can see an exhaust doubling an engine's volumetric efficiency (and, thus, power) is for it to have a turbocharger attached to it.

At full chat there is as much energy going out of the exhaust as going to the flywheel but again it would need something like a turbine to use it. More energy goes out as chemical energy in the carbon monoxide. When it turns to carbon dioxide, it gives out heat. To save wasting that energy, you have to run the engine lean of the best power mixture so the CO level is minimal. But that reduces power.

Sounds like hogwash to me.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 11 years later...

Aww bless u all, just came across this, the car DID have 600bhp (well 598bhp to be precise) it was confirmed on a rolling road at the meeting with Lotus Cars Ltd.

Obviously the engine, gearbox, clutch, back axle etc all had to be uprated to cope with HUGE TURBO power, I would have thought that would of been obvious to anyone lol.

I ended up successfully selling it all in the end anyway.

btw the car also had 5 foot flames coming out of ALL four exhausts after each 7000rpm gearchange.

See u later boys.

Edited by 600BHP ESPRIT

52 minutes ago, 600BHP ESPRIT said:

Aww bless u all, just came across this, the car DID have 600bhp (well 598bhp to be precise) it was confirmed on a rolling road at the meeting with Lotus Cars Ltd.

Obviously the engine, gearbox, clutch, back axle etc all had to be uprated to cope with HUGE TURBO power, I would have thought that would of been obvious to anyone lol.

btw the car also had 5 foot flames coming out of ALL four exhausts after each 7000rpm gearchange.

See u later boys.

You couldn't post some photo's could you - the link no longer works ☹️

1 hour ago, 600BHP ESPRIT said:

See u later boys.

Where did you sell it to? I've not seen it. 

PS It's "would have been obvious" not "would of been obvious".

• Haha 1

oh. Also...

A four tail pipe exhaust system has been epecially designed Lotus Esprit range of vehicles. It is manufactured in stainless steel with or without a catalytic converter and is designed to be ueed in place of the standard exhaust sytems fitted without chassis or engine modification.

This says it is fitted without modifying the engine.

see https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&amp;II=0&amp;ND=3&amp;adjacent=true&amp;FT=D&amp;date=19970129&amp;CC=GB&amp;NR=2302707A&amp;KC=A 

and I'm not sure how it would fit to a V8, and the patent is dead.

Otherwise it all sounds totally believable-and I love the picture of it!

Edited by LotuStuart

Well, one should never say never, as sometimes, rarely, a genuinely great idea surfaces, and is then either dropped in the ocean of other ideas, or laid on the shelf as the owner dies under mysterious circumstances, or the idea is swallowed up by a conglomerate of people WHO have an interest in seeing it die out, rather than a success.

I Wonder what's the sequence here.

Somehow it reminds me of Bibs former Esprit Turbo SE, the Black one with gold stripes, and a truly loud exhaust (read: improved sound, looks and performance), which may have left an unsuspecting 10 year old, that it was a starship about to orbit Planet Earth. If you Watch the video on flutube carefully, you'll notice that it's all been carefully blurred up to hide the invention from copying.

Or maybe this particular Esprit was indeedd the first one to actually have such an exhaust system and double the power without any other means?

Maybe the fortunate previous SE owner himself will come forward and explain how it worked and how it felt?

I Wonder why Lotus Cars never came forward and bought into the patent and the widespread use of said system for a measely Price of 20 million gbp's they could have trumphed most other cars on the market and that in a time, where gasoline cars were still allowed?

I therefore suggest the designer and inventor of sai system to make one for a hybrid car or similar other forms of cumbustion engine.

Then Again, never say never?

Hmm, where have I heard that before?

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Haha 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

So it can do 600bhp (sorry 598bhp) on a rolling road, yet no one else seems to be talking about it. We do not seem to have a photo of the dyno sheet.

That power, with obviously no real gain in torque, is going through the standard transmission? Otherwise, the standard transmission would be clinically dead.

You are getting twice the horsepower of the original engine from just an exhaust with no modification to the intake of the car? You would need more than twice the volume of air and fuel being used by the engine to get this.

Let's get into heat. Where is all the extra heat being dissipated?

Let's get into the engine internals. You're right. Let's not.

The patent applications were way back in 2007 (or earlier?) and I have not seen one photo of a working car with this on it?

Oh hang on, my 12 foot tall budgie wants another cat to eat for dinner.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hahhahaa… you little bugger 🙂

There are a couple out there with dyno results as well.

• Love 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 12:58, 600BHP ESPRIT said:

See u later boys.

I refrained from commenting on this until now as mr Dave Kent is under the impression he is related to Clark Kent, or at least the fantasy world..  What i do find most concerning is that people can post such drivel on the internet as fact.. As a result the less informed among us all assume it is possible..   When i get into discussions on performance with people ,particularly the under 30's , they quote posts and internet articles as this,  along with further exaggerated hear say to qualify their mislead idea's ...   The worrying factor is this seems to be forming a false education tool to the masses..  The outcome will be total confusion when they can not achieve what they are told is possible.. Then doubt will set in on everything else , the truth and fact will become blurred and the true development achievers  dismissed in turn..    

On 04/10/2018 at 08:33, Barrykearley said:

There’s plenty of 500bhp v8 esprits about with no dynos :sofa:

On 04/10/2018 at 09:41, mike_sekinger said:

Hahhahaa… you little bugger 🙂

There are a couple out there with dyno results as well.

As Barry has stated , far to many say they have BHP because the bolt on parts says you will ... No test no proof , just what it said on the box.. 

But as Mike said there are a few out there that have gone the distance, done it correct and got genuine dyno data to back it up.. 

Unfortunately the way computers work anyone can print off a dyno chart  and fudge the lines/figures.   So the first question that should always be asked when high BHP is quoted is, who did the all work, what was done and are they reputable... 

The cost of reliable high BHP is not cheap so very few do it..  Cheap claims of high BHP are plentiful and far to many do that..  

Its nice to see mr Kents claims can not fool this forum at least..      

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

You just have to think about things and Lotus put an engine in the Esprit like they did because they were probably working within a design limit of twist in the chassis as well as noise restrictions for a road going car.

Along comes someone like this "Look what I did!" as Dave has said above and lots of misinformed people oohh and aahh. Claims of "Look what I did with fixing the exhaust." Then goes on to mention that the engine, gearbox was upgraded etc. to handle all this massive power.

And the chassis to be able to handle the extra twisting moment that would be delivered by the engine? Let's not even worry about the chassis. Let's ask about the engine and gearbox mounts?

You only have to think about this and it all adds up to Pie-in-the-Sky fairytale.

Maybe Mr. 600BHP ESPRIT will come back sometime and prove us all to be big fibbers and numpties?

Guy probably believes in chem-trails from all domestic aircraft and the Great Wall of Ice that is Antarctica as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

Maybe Mr. 600BHP ESPRIT will come back sometime and prove us all to be big fibbers and numpties?

I doubt it, the hole he has dug with the lies so far will be hard enough to climb out of..   ie.. he claimed the exhaust was what produced the 600BHP ...    when challenged went on to say...  'Q'  .Obviously the engine, gearbox, clutch, back axle etc all had to be uprated to cope with HUGE TURBO power, I would have thought that would of been obvious to anyone lol.     

So if this was the case ,  the exhaust would only play a minor part...  which is not what the claim was..       Going on from that where is the back axle in the Esprit he refers to..    Further more the picture i have seen of the 4 outlet exhaust that is supposed to be so fantastic , is positively juvenile.  It offers no performance gains what so ever,  and as for throwing 5 foot flame out of all four, this would be impossible due to the flow constraints of the design..       

So if he would like to come back sometime with plausible explanation , he would be welcome , but he should now be aware some of us on here have actual experience and qualifications in this field..       

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I doubt he'll be back.

Joined on the 2nd, made one post and last came back on the 6th.