Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My very brown 74 Elite project - Page 4 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My very brown 74 Elite project

BrianK

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I absolutely love that 1st shot. Understanding how you composed it makes it even better for me :) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

The quality and extent of work you've done on the car, the photos you've taken, and even your write-up here are really inspiring. Massive respect for what must be a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and money that's gone into this build. I hope it's as fun a drive for you as it looks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  Photography is kind of a hobby & these were some of the first pics taken with a new-to-me camera.  Still learning how to use the new camera, but I think these shots came out pretty good. :) 

Today's entry is another small curiosity worth sharing: Fuel filler sealing rings.

Backstory: fuel was sloshing out of the tanks in tight corners. It was coming out through the fillers, as was evident by dried up streams of fuel on the body below and behind each filler. In addition to obvious signs of spillage on the outside of the car, I was also getting a good bit of fuel smell in the cabin when driving through the canyons (which was especially bad on my first higher speed outing). While I didn't think my filler seals looked *that* bad, I thought I'd go ahead and replace them to try to keep fuel inside the car.

SJ sells the sealing ring, by itself; or the whole cap.  Caps aren't that expensive, but for whatever reason, I decided to try to save my filler caps rather than get replacements - so I just wanted to replace the seals. Each seal, importantly, is two pieces - the plate/ring that mates with the filler neck, and a gasket behind the seal plate that forms a seal between the sealing plate (on which the seal ring sits) and the cap, itself.  My gasket (would you call that a gasket? grommet? stopper? whatever...) was fairly brittle and cracked, so it needed replacing.

While SJ sells the seal ring, they only carry the ring - not the plat on which the ring sits or the gasket behind the plate. Our filler caps are shared with the Norton Commando. I was able to find complete filler cap seal kits from a Norton dealer in the UK (I found none in the US).  I ordered two sets - installation took all of 5 minutes. It's dead simple - remove the old retaining screw & replace the whole thing. Make sure the spring is turned the right way when you reassemble (the spring won't land correctly if its reversed, but it will still work just fine)

BUT! There's a difference between the Norton seal and the Lotus seal.  The Norton seal has a vent.  Lotus expects the tank to be vented elsewhere. See pics below:

Old, Lotus seal:

Fuel cap seal replacement

New, Norton seal:

Fuel cap seal replacement

Notice the vent hole just below center?

I hadn't noticed this until after I put the car in storage for the next month or so.  My plan, when it comes back out, is to simply seal the vent hole with some sort of metal epoxy (JB Weld, likely) & call it a day.

After sharing this story with another Elite owner in LA, he walked me through all of his fuel system ventilation upgrades. I think it's about time to start paying attention to mine - I recently disconnected vacuum from the charcoal canister because it allowing too much air to the carb (was acting like a leaky carb), so I suspect there's a broken connection or cracked hose somewhere. That might also explain the fuel smell.

I also notice my brakes are a little sticky - they don't release right away & squeak a bit for the first few rotations after braking.  I think I'll rebuild the front calipers during the next service.  Will likely do the master cylinder at the same time & hope I don't have to deal with the rears at all.

That's the little hole I mentioned - the one that acts as the vent on cars that don't have the little take-off on the neck.  I don't know when the system changed over from one to the other though.

Just get your old bit re-plated - or is the rubber seal bonded to the steel element?

Pete

On 17/05/2022 at 03:44, EXCEL V8 said:

That's the little hole I mentioned - the one that acts as the vent on cars that don't have the little take-off on the neck.  I don't know when the system changed over from one to the other though.

Just get your old bit re-plated - or is the rubber seal bonded to the steel element?

Ahhhh, yes. I didn't realize it was *this* hole you were talking about - for some reason I thought it was some sort of larger hole in the cap itself. For that reason, when ordering these new ones, it didn't even cross my mind to check that there was a difference in seals.

In trying to break my pack-rat habit, I threw the old, hole-less seals away. D'oh!

If this doesn't end up sealing well after plugging that hole, I'll likely order entire new caps from SJ and replace the filler necks while I'm at it. 

Thanks for the advice. It's a shame I didn't take it.  ;) 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Brian, I contacted you some months back after seeing your Elite at Woodley Park. I have the same vehicle and use you as inspiration to keep working.  Question. I'm at the point where I need to do some painting. So far I have not found a paint supplier that can find a formula for Sable in  current paint. Although repainted black it was originally the same as yours and I want to go original.  I don't have a paint chip that can be matched. Your paint certainly looks a lot newer than 48 years. Did you find a source that had the info?

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/12/2022 at 17:00, Mgormanvm said:

Hi Brian, I contacted you some months back after seeing your Elite at Woodley Park. I have the same vehicle and use you as inspiration to keep working.  Question. I'm at the point where I need to do some painting. So far I have not found a paint supplier that can find a formula for Sable in  current paint. Although repainted black it was originally the same as yours and I want to go original.  I don't have a paint chip that can be matched. Your paint certainly looks a lot newer than 48 years. Did you find a source that had the info?

Hi Michael.  Sorry for the delayed response - I haven't been back here for a while.

My car was resprayed long before I purchased it, so I don't have any better info than what you can find online. If you manage to find a good formula, I'd love to know as well.

Hi Michael,

Any quality auto paint store can match nearly any color. Either by a guy who knows how to do it by his skill or by a camera that takes a picture of your car or a part of it and will match very closely the color. This is old school stuff so find a quality auto paint store that sells to auto body repair shops.

I live in the Seattle area and know of a good number of them that do this exact matching and have had it done for me more than once.

atb,

Richard

• 3 months later...

Brilliant write-up and pictures as always. I think I know what you mean with the brakes working up until about 50% of brake travel and then really kicking in. Strange to describe but I might have similar. Glad you've finally got them all working well though :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

In Magnus's biography, he says his father took him to the Earl's Court Motor Show in 1977, where he saw his first Porsche.

The Elite was announced at the Earl's Court Motor Show in 1974, and I assume Lotus had an Elite on display in 1977. Perhaps it brought back memories for Magnus?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just read your entire blog, Brian. Very well done...I didn't know that brown could be so beautiful! I've attached a picture of mine.

Acquired 15 years ago, in very poor condition, I converted it to an EV and did some subtile body modifications as well as renewing most of the running gear. 

I have some vibration at speed, so probably need to replace the trunions. Would you tell me where you got them?

Thanks,

Scott

image.png.4c835df21c3a9e711360df1c852dff17.png

16 hours ago, EliteEV said:

I have some vibration at speed, so probably need to replace the trunions. Would you tell me where you got them?

Thanks for the kind words.  :)

An EV conversion?! Fantastic. I can imagine that the Elite's slippery body lends itself well to EV cruising.  Love the wheels too.

I get my parts either from Dave Bean here in the US (in northern CA) or SJ Sportscars in the UK.  There are other suppliers, but those are the ones I've found to be quickest/easiest.

My trunnions were part of the initial build, the parts of which came in a giant order from SJ (I mention "giant order" to say that shipping didn't come into play as much as if I'd ordered the single part. Had it been just the trunnions, I probably would have called Dave Bean.)

On SJ's site, https://www.sjsportscars.com/, in the "Search for parts" box on the right, leave the first field (description) blank, then choose the "Elite/Eclat" for model, then "Front Suspension" for section, then "Trunnion" for component, and you'll get a list of trunnion parts available. I got the top dust seals, left and right lower trunnions, and the lower trunnion bush kits.

Alternatively: https://davebean.com/, but you have to call in your order - no online tools.

Thanks for the reply, Brian. I have ordered from both of them a number of times (as well as lotusbits, where I got a rebuilt transmission among many other things through the years), and Ken Gray knows me well! I'll talk with him about the trunion parts tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

Hi Brian,

After reading your blog, I decided it was time to renew my front suspension. Turns out, it was well past time. After 50 years and 80,000 miles, everything was shot. I sent the steering rack to a well-known Lotus shop in LA in 2009, but it never felt right, so I rebuilt that too. (I ran into a guy on San Juan Island last year who submitted his Elite, which he bought new, to that same shop for an engine rebuild, and the owner sold the engine and transmission out from under him. He was planning on donating the frame and body to a High School shop class. I didn't ask why he didn't sue the senior shop owner).

Since it seemed that you did everything right I emulated your process, right down to using POR-15 on all the parts. I got the steering rack rebuild kit from Steve Taylor at Lotus Marques, and most everything fit well. The bronze bearing on the right side is an excellent upgrade. I did have to mill the inside a tiny bit, but made short work of it with a friend’s metal lathe. I also rebuilt the calipers, including new pistons.

I had the toe-in professionally set yesterday, and took a spirited drive on a beautiful, twisty coastal road today. What an amazing difference!. I’d say the grin factor has doubled!

One of the most fiddly (one of my favourite British words) jobs was reinstalling the steering rack. The supports for the front battery rack preclude removing the rack intact, so I had to remove the pinion shaft to get it out. Of course, I had to do the reverse and reinstall the tube, then insert the top bearing and shaft, then the rack, then press in the bottom bearing. It took a while and some choice words due to the restrictive work space, but now it steers, corners, and brakes beautifully.

Again, thanks for all the tips, including buying the Shankly spring compresser. It probably cost less than a rental, and was no doubt better.

Happy Motoring,

Scott Petersen

P.S. I beg to differ about accessing the rear brakes from the back of the cabin. I've worked on those darn cylinders several times, and everything can be done from outside and inside with an access port. It's a pain in the butt to drop and reinstall the differential. See the last picture.

Left side, showning painted caliper (high-heat POR-15) and new lower link from SJ. The original one was split on the bottom of the outside. Oh, and for other folks doing this, please do install the anti-sway bar before the vertical link 🤣!

AP1GczPYM7meHyYKsdEkjf6UuuGfIKP_sDFKMAjtUwy4rfwIiSVStD044n47aNz75ebMVpBJGe-uCPgi98F3d7DS027hW5K0FCWJjSAWrzfFK5-YVxNYcg1GQrcnMQzdlqkIctRyqfqYJN9KIx_U7LngbbiPh_s9YhLJ-ggyqYNt3KoJ6ZlweOynLfTaUx1iQQALzCFivPX98Nr0-f782lScPrEM0G94D3luD2t38t8_tgeUlIrAryStNoCCx_Ucs7PjjVvm2mNEqyfJW1IOPFBskQOi-pMD4cfyq_JB_kWLTqGrazC1Z84cJkBH7cOQL01_39_2EEvLQwzyOEX5sY6J2NTOL8WvWXNgI-SF42fLY7QiG6DbVDvTFoDfPt4mCzSVyX-5XDLmb9_z2sbi-9Y5OHZQsBXJuS0yXXq0HpvbhDeHbIEo2lVdqCsFvcw6nyDaSzbcnFalOnhLPGT86N4kr60aw9SwfXHFsQR3wKHf674-P-6DSCwMETIl5nBAULn-ZXBkbj9XUVLfyoxsUf1ch6NcHXJm4HjlIQZQEis6Z1MmWQlFhKy1kUoz9GsMn8UjE4Rzai88bSRITeJK7qpHlbwel-Y-27vUpxzJIusNS-HFi_Q6-EMmrBIyjJUQS3HrwBBboUb7clKB0jPinV6rcZm0y9UpbrZg5o94-jLOLfJTT_K3VtSUM8hcY-KW8PGyHVGB--XtJb9058aglwcXJ_xT3GK8NKcrvnsCsl-Dl4-MT6ID56SQPBA3ysRfP69yD5akwid7sjubTDsfy9_0os6sWYK5R05erSGO4S1sZ7Gu6evfEitNHkOjnxvQQkX5q0F7vt_UnP2V8MdfzKGxCiT3uZqohWFS1Vwu2S5a8FBm433NGtqAT85e6XPMBFrS9mL5yq2tnEPBQ2K030ulPIBlLrDh_oNskeWnwRp_fDHQJeIvRrLMUFPRI0yE=w950-h1267-s-no?authuser=0

The reason I couldn't pull the rack out with the pinion shaft entact. Eight lithium batteries above that wood filler.

AP1GczN6w7qTiisGW5MK1tDKifQ8pucomcz4iXj0FQ8NA3nvckFOzKrF925-xYaLbkRJq0-AL-r4WroxLMOxtSmdYnt6tpJPWaH1AABmR0e9bEY_DVzTdAxrFwkR5VhBzsAEqX_7TRj_IxP0aeo4nKBfP4euziN6g3CqTRENmv8RE7jwT-GMh5qRIsG3CnAN3Lv-Pv5dSWFJO1YHZbq8Yz0TTp7WOe55g_O1BCFRNYODRU1YkSPu96rl6k7-zRS--XQ7p_NcD-QrnKU8b_cbsYKivinO3-NOn026w03QWV9kwCn4w-r-e_SMSnbcTeqwBOR6Zxi5p1I9SQ9YT-N4L9wIzETtyxpXuFO7Mt_lL2IsvE1YqIsV4kLZuvsIehAxhy_juBFoEuPnXpXkWqveH75EGvu43pjAVqKgvrspGpEpe70qTUZhGPXI656otJPor3c4XDVmfSPPtauOGsL7ZsZbkwmRPXxFVBbcH4Bz5iQEJydPAI8vT_iCidlhCe_qma6uhO_i8qdtPCij1e4eYgLbtTAZmgFIzkya-GhHieimifUILM-WPAEJmjgnDz4niHe-PJyegsa8Ebew0X0Oqrm3pKW23CpTMU3LZpUVI1BvYicOS967ezbF7PIGJVRMnp3zV57VVwRrVr1ZSa_p0UpEAGaFPmPLenTOvHCcXOK2yGhcMWp3S6BrCx5-PPH3uh8j7EIrZY8RvY_JgO0fVAT7Ad7SPJGtczXbpsnceC0Sz58RRyJtAtMhyYIzFy2U_uzUHIHWeOPR4Rj3XhdqlWfdUxG7VKYuX8ZUO8OwQ7iIiG9acIrhRc2dAT44o2WHM1bVlYK7Re6eumx_EpGobVAEJEBnVI-zMeyf1Ny3kUq-ts-3VzM6R9f2oM_IPPOyX7oRuRu4hfbSVIbILZV44VFcRVxPlRX1JFPaoON_Z-ntemZRXHPgmaVHG5thntPA=w950-h1267-s-no?authuser=0

Really bad caliper pistons. Kind of surprised they still worked.

AP1GczNVJti7PY6dvWw3Fyo4I089-IlifCymCqupwOuyuDsa98je-FkyEZXAFmcxgO_BuFXwMo29zImlZq3P6YZUcyqcV5KZ-urofu2eyoPWyK91-EMX8JuRg5VmxixKZhPzKdyD2A5QnbDFkV2GWo8b_1PF2pmH00KHm18iNsrPIEFwl-tyKC87kxHVoTmAXx0OJtypDnNt-ZryHwU8YcLVSIHroa-T5m4w2YN-EfeaZtBuPT2NhrA50pquKBjlv3rRgoVZoHWmPnKnMbv6_YIYFd-roH8do1bkf0UkHYVRJp53Sr2ZYwDj9XvetCaincGA1dHEHJeva6LN74eetAecoR5h1DbAgm2_DkLvJQippoIsIX4AluKWSWqe6sk5UuEo4mdxXgWbC1eIQw0R3YxjWg6PxlT1GLSw8aUHvkxgFIP256VY3q9-na689YyBnHmmcfA3FFl4ZwPEYwSsuuE6ZsDZ7-Xk83C6kAMMc_rMtvbMy8orbkdgTFcQaIoIWnnSCGHWDdrzfMsGIhxKxKHsBHZvzvl8_5jmUSLiZ-DoYfv8ZS6lNNUPC8L7R7hUfntnLdloD277Xkk3hcpnOO9SJ1tQ5FfhAPq1Ysg9kJU4Tv3fd9TpG4-FN2vMsj1eSw5k82RWS0QkprdOs397NczOrxCUtI_Ftr2Vd5K_EupxKg1rjBGDGcsxnqb8IIoUP8KOGvyUf7cpJ8iG5FaoSX4WnKpR32JDcjYxwG2f9FwUSSn95b9sDD7xYdk3lOMAjVLOKyqIVLUYgCwKSt5HGx0u4Ol0dlJ952t4I4zJM8AQb5qKUoAwzylYkMLFJb4mfuJYW9bn65d6W1VA_HMH-bpWQ76YhaiJdd-rwZNkendAuRYL7FoUWLEsWWhltQN_jbKLaWvZyKLxJuQ-YFiYKb_F6dsL_fumtdJcMgRBvWxGN2nqUMpHb2VmtIxpuQwg=w1689-h1267-s-no?authuser=0

Rear brakeline access.

AP1GczPEc8QCKd7fL8uyAWWVcsu-xBNWySQQ8ve75QBsrXLe0fi3CpSOC7IXi0r8nMTUZzPOrVLtw8FCrl5TQuAi6EaqJTjJ2S1FXEzl6Vx6FMNkn85SYlYI0tdLpCh6t1_4Rk4MZNkLKpAq9X_x_LtvEeBobHAlLMXj3aJnzaNOYuCq4ZRpHeslPKispPbYp6TNw6MzUbPxvBZ1qXxmaOksSs2IHAYaiIwWyeHwDXOjiXNSrowObZOSBXtcrdZXFTuZedm1YwRlDopYkcgYDY8SBzMAFumuXJXVI6vmq-aP0I9aublM_RC-kjxpPKHnwSlzXl_lXtjy9W36V6bkRtSD0oSkCammVwdfGGgeXSZWrTyjgLyhWYqN1xlx-sY2TdZHsQmq110tymy4JDHHwAQULiuLr40WZwBcBjZWA7WVvHgJa-fptrHOmp61uzbh3oIJgBRLbNUHWbujx_0xICsRsh_-s-A7cphPBbe0Ful-sbTmZO4k_mqm3aEz5fAQ_3r4uXzeADBtK9D8XKfxxKaQHp2J2fvaMv_lRBs1Fn3xFb-1o7-tog0hXvELuPNX43kvzemkiH4vIlF-0CDDao6aw8rfj8MfQd35Z0RTutOhuJDywQBjhjWUCUfj7DveNk7u43YLKBlDW_xBagBUsNf6nm7gyuphzq_g7GAWyHAL9xkekobfcWZtQj5hwBOdHBB0paywjJR5yyYPl4D79Mg4i_tCRAFfIEyCzhsdSrnBEZljOZ1ujnsMG77-XvhcA7GnHEzsmaynLzN1gQq7QRnT6zOwmOfpqDPThU8SJttSEjVxLX-izX0iRgt-Fkn6o8f908GGY6PxCmqLD5Aq3ZTOfsGv4hT7JH5cxUdO3YKJ69YainfAeXhlYHJxw0t5EsJ8fGP6z3MOJz3zwcC-IC9SiWS1lCLpjebDcqJxMKfUvprXdG2Ul_ru-2LZK9CL=w1689-h1267-s-no?authuser=0