IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who voted “remain” I have to admit that the more I read about the antics and approach of the EU the more I will be right behind Boris for calling a “no deal, move on”

Latest posturing aside, for the EU to expect that the U.K. would cave in to their demands on being controlled by EU laws and allowing unencumbered access to fish in U.K. sovereign waters into perpetuity clearly shows that they are out to do nothing else but punish the U.K. for leaving. Something that was more or less confirmed today when the EU’s Financial Services Commissioner said “I think that there is a failure to understand (by the U.K.), which is the failure on Brexit, that if you leave the EU there will be consequences”

Macron’s latest outburst is clearly an attempt to appear popular in the eyes of the French, something that he lost a long time ago.

Boris is 100% correct that no U.K. PM could agree to the demands of the EU on those 2 issues. I was totally stunned that Starmer’s reaction was to have a dig for not yet securing a deal rather than to support Boris’ statement which would have sent a strong message to the EU that Parliament was 100% behind the PM on these 2 issues. The weak and unstabling approach in opposition politics continues to make a mockery of our Parliament.

As I mentioned earlier, I voted “remain”, now I can’t wait for us to leave in a no deal scenario and hopefully, at the same time, we will be informing the EU that we will withhold the £50b+ settlement figure.

The Navy is going to have a busy time forcibly keeping French fishing boats out of our waters

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Gold FFM

Finally some good news.

Earlier the bbc were quoting how our shopping will go up in price due to the cost of Brie - shame they couldn’t manage to visit one of the many UK cheese makers and report positively on the opportunity in this country to exploit this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55249561

Only here once

At the moment there is a huge issue with inbound shipping to the UK from China. Its affecting our company and even Honda have had to pause production at Swindon. The main cause of this is the British ports are all clagged up with containers loaded with PPE which is taking up all the space, especially at Felixstowe, and this is having a knock-on effect with some containers, including ours, unloaded in France.

According to certain parts of the press, this is being caused by Brexit. Many commentators are gloating over this in full "told you so" mode. They are really making fools of themselves believing brexit is causing shipping issues from China.

• Like 2

As we have said in the past, we would never get a decent Brexit deal because the EU knows so many would line up to leave behind us. There are innumerate quotes everywhere from EU officials saying this and Nicolas above proves the point! I think Italy would be the first, Spain, Even France if it didn't have a corrupt Rothschild supported President! The only countries who want to be in it are those who get loads of money for joining when they shouldn't have been able to because they didn't meet the criterea!....... and Scotland! :)

However they are REALLY trying to stick it to us. They are even refusing certain free trade agreements that even Non EU members have! But I think part of the biggest sticking points is the fact they still want their fishing fleets to have a bigger cut of our sovereign waters than we get! 

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Won’t be long and individual EU states - or “real countries” will feel the distinct lack of access to the uk markets. Boris needs to hold firm - ride the stormy seas and watch the EU rip themselves apart

• Like 1

Only here once

34 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Won’t be long and individual EU states - or “real countries” will feel the distinct lack of access to the uk markets. Boris needs to hold firm - ride the stormy seas and watch the EU rip themselves 

It's time for his Poker Face

• Like 2

Ursula von der Leyen just said that the EU is the largest economy in the world. Not according to these figures:

For the fifth year in a row, China was the world's largest economy in 2019. It contributed $22.5 trillion, or 17.3%, of the world's $130.1 trillion in gross domestic product (GDP), according to estimates by the World Bank. It uses so-called international dollars to make better comparisons among countries.1

The U.S. was second, with $20.5 trillion, or a 15.8% share. The European Union was in third place, contributing $19.9 trillion

And once UK leaves, the EU will shrink by $2.9 trillion. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good soundbite.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kimbers said:

As we have said in the past, we would never get a decent Brexit deal because the EU knows so many would line up to leave behind us.  I think Italy would be the first, Spain,

I actually believe that the biggest risk is in Poland/Hungary leaving and that is what the EU is really worried about, as opposed to Italy, Spain etc.  Yes, Poland and Hungary are net receivers, however, they have young, well educated populations that are mobile and they are providing the workers, in country that really keep the worlds of industry and commerce moving in the other countries of the EU. In addition, Poland's citizens are benefitting from the countries economic growth which in turn is fuelling the internal growth/demand in country.

I agree that no is the time for the UK Parliament to stand firm. My worry is we will get a last minute extension or some other mechanism that keeps this going for another few years yet.  Get the deal by close of business tomorrow. If no deal, then first thing Monday we race to be ready for the 1st January when not much happens anyway as most of the country is hungover or still partying from the night before.

I think no deal on January 1st, and a deal will be done by 31st March as the pain on both sides kicks in hard and provides the appetite for a "sensible" discussion without the rhetoric. At that point it moves from the game of "who blinks first now is blamed" to a new game of "I won as I secured the deal that saved us". The UK public and press is so shallow it will swallow that.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Can I just say that I’m not remotely worried about a possible increase in the price of French goods, be that Brie, wine, onions or letters because I never buy them anyway.

I’d also never buy a French car, and if Brexit means I can no longer afford a holiday in France, so be it, there will be plenty of other places ready to accommodate us.

In fact apart from a decent meal of moules marinere and a baguette, I’m struggling to think of anything I’d miss.

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

In fact apart from a decent meal of moules marinere and a baguette, I’m struggling to think of anything I’d miss.

Go on, admit it, you'd miss a decent "french kiss"!

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

4 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Not from you, I wouldn't.

Well I doubt any one else would be willing!  ;)

• Haha 1

The small print.

You are very welcome to have an entente cordiale with Angular Marvel and whether you wear clean underdungers is up to you but she will have her best lederhosen pressed and crisp I am sure. 

The small print.

11 minutes ago, march said:

There is always the Turkish part of Cyprus - it's great for money laundering (so I hear).

They have restriction on visa will only give 30 days at present, if you want residency its quite expensive. Couldn't tell you how I know............. ;)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Can I just say that I’m not remotely worried about a possible increase in the price of French goods, be that Brie, wine, onions or letters because I never buy them anyway.

I’d also never buy a French car, and if Brexit means I can no longer afford a holiday in France, so be it, there will be plenty of other places ready to accommodate us.

Dick Strawbridge must be worried, that big château relying on weddings from the UK.

• Haha 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"