Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Brexit - Page 34 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Brexit

Barrykearley

No one in power is talking seriously about a second rerendum.  It makes sense to reflect and decide what we want from Brexit before pushing the button so invoking article 50 now would be a bit premature, I think.

i must admit at many of the recent posts on here remind me of gun rights advocates in the States whittling about how Obama is going to take away all their guns and how there is a secret conspiracy going on to undermine the constitution.  chill, guts. The leavers won.  It's going to happen but we don't need to go with all guns blazing like the Americans invading Iraq.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well she wants to bring back foxhunting so looking like she`s wearing a dead animal skin on her feet is at least consistent with policy. 

More on-topic, her touted support for Remain was distinctly erm...muted . Seemingly that hasn`t stopped 199 fellow MPs whether Leave (Chris Grayling) or many other Cameroon Remainers voting for her.  

Certainly a matter for comment considering the lot opposite seemed content to give their chief hornet and his nest a good kicking over exactly the same issue. Is it a good idea to kick a Hornet`s nest ? Ermm ....general consensus is that its not .

The common thread ? I venture that they`re all MPs and they all look to their own career security first against anyone threatening their cosy little set-ups.    

Somewhat of a cliché but then why are clichés so often true ?

• Gold FFM

And they report interest rates are likely to be cut today.....

oh no that's the mortgage repayments payments going down then - will have to phone them up to keep payments the same to chip away whilst the sun shines !!

and all the remain fearmongers told everyone that interest rates would go up 

Only here once

Nice post @CHANGES and totally agree with you. The forces behind the European Federal Start are moving.

Sorry @Barrykearley but I don't think the base rate cut will be passed on, and most people have fixed rates these days anyway.

I'm in the opposite boat, no mortgage and savings in the bank. You can bet your live the interest rate cut will be passed on to savers.

Ho hum. I really like what May is doing. I'm even more optimistic for our future, and interesting article in Telegraph today were members of the City are basically telling JPMorgan to belt up and get on with it over there constant naysaying....

BoJo for Foreign Sec. Was inspired. He supports Brexit but is pro-European. He also is pro immigration but wanted Brexit so we could have control of it. Strange as it seems I think he will do well and he certainly played the international statesman role for London when Mayor.

Glad Osborne and his sneer has gone too.

Happy days are here again, the sun is shining, shame I'm 600 miles away from my Lotus -  argh!

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Nice post @CHANGES and totally agree with you. The forces behind the European Federal Start are moving.

Sorry @Barrykearley but I don't think the base rate cut will be passed on, and most people have fixed rates these days anyway.

I'm in the opposite boat, no mortgage and savings in the bank. You can bet your live the interest rate cut will be passed on to savers.

Ho hum. I really like what May is doing. I'm even more optimistic for our future, and interesting article in Telegraph today were members of the City are basically telling JPMorgan to belt up and get on with it over there constant naysaying....

BoJo for Foreign Sec. Was inspired. He supports Brexit but is pro-European. He also is pro immigration but wanted Brexit so we could have control of it. Strange as it seems I think he will do well and he certainly played the international statesman role for London when Mayor.

Glad Osborne and his sneer has gone too.

Happy days are here again, the sun is shining, shame I'm 600 miles away from my Lotus -  argh!

Certainly the "Remain" Coke Snortin` Notting Hillbillies have been cleared out,  but Jeremy naughty-word is still in place to rub salt into the Junior Doctors` wounds. The new PM`s documented disgust at Gordon Brown`s appointment without a General Election is clearly no longer a problem for her, what a surprise.

The Jury continues to be well out on so many Brexit aspects although I would like to be optimistic don`t get me wrong. Like the main pro and anti Brexit argument itself, there are pros and cons by the multitude with Ken Clarke wisely asking what kind of Brexit is wanted. To take an overview, every vaunted minus of Brexit supported by dodgy statistics there seems to be a vaunted plus supported by dodgy statistics.   

BoJo ? Oh Dear. Oh Dear. Oh Dear. And another one : Oh Dear. I suspect the guy now in charge of Mi6  thinks " Johnny English" is a documentary .   "A liar with his back against the wall" ; words of the French Foreign Minister Monsieur Ayrault today. 

Good luck with that one mate !  

I can only surmise that our new PM has an inspired sense of humour in liking the idea of covering blokes in honey before ordering them out to remove a wasps` nest .  

(Makes you wonder if Boris should now avoid any Ferrero Rochers handed round at the Ambassadors Soirees - they might taste a bit funny... )           

2 hours ago, basalte said:

The new PM`s documented disgust at Gordon Brown`s appointment without a General Election is clearly no longer a problem for her, what a surprise.

ours isn`t a presidential election we vote for a party.Think labour in particular would be mad to push  for an election right now as it is quite possible they could suffer a heavy defeat with the present state of the party

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

So we've got May and Hammond at the top table, so where's Clarkson.

And please, no quotes or comments about that bloody French Politician calling Johnson a liar.

The French politicians and their President of the time,  lied and cheated and blocked our every legitimate attempt to join the common market, even after WE convinced the Americans to give them the nukes they so desperately wanted to secure their seat at the top table, in return for their support!

Then future French politicians have consistently sniped and jeered and be-littled us ever since.

Oh what little memories they have!

Oh and by the way, the French people I have met and worked with have been charming and great. It's just their political elite we can never trust again in my humble opinion.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 14.7.2016 at 20:23, C8RKH said:

So we've got May and Hammond at the top table, so where's Clarkson.

And please, no quotes or comments about that bloody French Politician calling Johnson a liar.

The French politicians and their President of the time,  lied and cheated and blocked our every legitimate attempt to join the common market, even after WE convinced the Americans to give them the nukes they so desperately wanted to secure their seat at the top table, in return for their support!

Then future French politicians have consistently sniped and jeered and be-littled us ever since.

Oh what little memories they have!

Oh and by the way, the French people I have met and worked with have been charming and great. It's just their political elite we can never trust again in my humble opinion.

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

31 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

So May is delayed Brexit till Scotland agrees.  And Scotland doesn't agree.  And she's not triggering Article 50 this year.  So she's stalling.

Thats the problem with having a Remain voter running the Country.

Hmmm. I thought May had made it very very clear that first and foremost she would be putting the union, that is the United Kingdom, first. So, by going to Scotland and listening to Sturgeon bang her toys against the pram so soon, she has taken away an often rolled out criticism that Westminster plays lip service to Scotland. I actually think she has played a bit of blinder there and is in danger of leaving Sturgeon floundering and splashing around in the pool, going nowhere fast. Sturgeon has been told by Europe - "if UK goes, you go". She's been told by UK Govt. look you are not a sovereign country, you are a regional part of the UK (just like, England, Wales, NI...), and after a democratic vote the UK has voted to leave. No matter how hard the tail wags, the dog still decides the direction and Sturgeon needs to see that she is, after all, just a giddy wagging tail.

Also, Europe is changing and the dreadful events in Nice are not helping. Last I heard on the news Germany was looking to strengthen / put in place some checks on the French / German border. Hmmm, where will all of this lead? Italy is lurching to a banking crisis, one of the key remaining economies in the EU. I'm not sure that given the choice of staying in the UK, or leaving to join the EU with the Euro, free movement, open borders (with everyone apart from the biggest trading partner by far, the rUK) and fiscal control from Brussels that Sturgeon will actually get the votes she needs for Independence. Also, even the Auld Alliance with France is creaking for her with Hollande making it clear that Scotland goes with the UK - not to mention Belgium, Italy, and Spain all having similar views. She needs ALL 27 to say yes!  I also she think she knows all of this too - she is certainly clever and not stupid - (and she also knows the gift of Indyref2 is not hers to give), which is why she is not calling for Indyref2 right now and is desperately trying to find solutions to stay in the UK and Europe!  In fact, Sturgeon is being lauded for doing what May seems to be criticised for - choosing the place, time etc.of the battle very carefully after she has had time to marshal the troops and work out the strategy.

So, is she stalling,or just getting ready and prepared? I don't remember her saying at any point she would invoke Article 50 straight away and for christ's sake, she is only just putting the team, together after less than 48 hours in the job!

I don't think there is anything wrong in not rushing headlong into Article 50. Once we do invoke it we seriously limit our negotiation points and immediately start a 2 year clock ticking. Come on now, do we really believe the EU will have an incentive to negotiate in good faith with us for those 2 years when, if we do not reach a settlement, we just walk out the door with the clothes on our back and nothing else? Again, I think she is playing a blinder here. Just say she makes good progress on trade with the US, India, China and we reinvigorate the Commonwealth as a new trading block. That seriously strengthens our hand in negotiating trade with the EU as they will see that actually, their 3rd largest trading partner doesn't really need them.

I think we are in for interesting and challenging times. But I see no need to rush for the end of the cliff like a herd of lemmings.

• Like 2

The small print.

Agree with above, May is not stalling because of the Scots. She said that it would be best to have a unified approach to Brexit not that the SNP would need to agree to Brexit as its a done deal.

The terrible event in Nice will surely be the final straw for the French. Even though the terrorist seems to be home-grown they will be demanding big changes and all roads will lead to Frexit in the end.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

It looks like a really clever game of chess - with a bit of bluff involved. She has 4 years to sort it in this parliament.

shes said brexit means brexit. She will be measured by that statement without doubt.

but - it is best to give as much time to develop other deals first - it gives her a much better hand of cards when initiating article 50. Also I think other countries are going to wobble a lot now - especially France - hollonde is under a lot of pressure from his underlings presently on this very issue

• Like 1

Only here once

Boris would have been a perfect V.P. candidate choice for Trump. The current political circus here in The States would be even more entertaining than it is. 

Now, as a certified "colonial," I don't pretend to understand all the nuances involved with the U.K. Brexit, And, as a recent "returnee" to the forum, I've got lots of catching up to do (case in point, I saw the coolest looking car yesterday in Austin, and only through today's forum surfing realized it was an Evora 400, having been under a rock for so long I hadn't known of its release). My immediate question is how do TLF members stand on the issue...in percentage values. Is it as close an opinion spread here as the actual vote was?

Second question, why, after plummeting like a stone in the aftermath of the vote, did the U.S. stock market rebound to historical highs in the following weeks? Can it be that all is not lost after all? A little elucidation is in order for those of us in the back row. Some of these machinations remind me of how certain Texas politicians and ranking officials in the state government raise saber rattling cries to secede from the Union whenever "Washington" passes any regulation not tickling their fancy. Of course, they always forget to mention that the State does not have its own standing military with which to carry on business as a separate entity, but hey, what with everyone packing heat anyway, what's the difference? And the Alamo is being "refurbished," so what's not to like? Yeehaw ya'll!

"Texit" bumper stickers anyone?

Edited by Iconic Ride

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

7 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I think Boris is more intelligent than some people think too.

Buddsy

Cant agree here. I think Boris fools people into thinking he is clever by being well-educated which is not the same thing. Mrs May is genuinely quite clever. There is also an adviser lurking behind called Nick Timothy who is very bright.

I'm so out of touch @Iconic Ride that I thought Texas got it's independence in the 90's led by a Ranger called Walker!

With regards to the financial markets, we've seen similar here with regards to the FTSE crashing, and now rising to its highest level ever thanks to Bexit. Can't say I fully understand all the reasons but I do know a lot of people make a lot of money in these circumstances.

Brexit has truly rocked the world order. Who would have thought that this quiet little island, that many regard as insignificant, wouould cause so much turmoil ;)  I do know that there is a lot of guff from doom merchants and an awful lot of anti-democratic activity from the losing side. I think it needs time to see how things play out but in this internet connected world time is something people do not seem to prepared to wait for / invest in.

I think the split on here was around 50:50 remain and leave,

If you guys dump the personal guns you can always come back into our fold.... haha

The small print.