Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Formula One - Page 59 - Motorsport - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula One

KAS-118

@ramjet" Did you know that facetious is one of only two words (I believe) in the English language that has all the vowels appearing once in the their order we learnt them at school.

Don't ask. I don't know what the other word is"

Only 2 words? How about abstemious, larcenious, affectious, affectiously, abstentious to name another 5?

Sorry, off topic 🤬

Edited by Rambo

• Gold FFM

Hey, I was young when I got told this and have never gone looking for more.

Do you have a thesaurus for a mind?

And yes we have derailed this thread slightly, but it was fun

An d now, back to your regular program, Formula One.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Can't say I am sorry the the RB stopped again......

Better than expected result for Merc and McLaren (but still a long way back), and a total bad weekend for Aston.

LeClerc doing well this year and looks to have a decent attitude to the other drivers etc.

• Like 1

Russell second in championship. Lucky break with the safety car at Hamilton's expense. Mercedes also second in the constructors championship.

It's still early doors in the season. Anything could happen.

I don't know what it is about them but I am really liking Ferrari v2.0.  I have always respected them as they have such a deep history but when I got into F1 towards the end of the Schumacher days I was really not a fan due to some dirty tactics etc ... But I'm a big fan the current incarnation of Ferrari, very glad to see them back at top and doing so well.

Fingers crossed Merc can figure their car out soon and have some upgrades.  It would be really good to turn that 2 way fight for the front into a 3 or 4 way fight.

Similar for the McLaren too, looks like the track suited them today but I think the next few are slow speed corners and we may see them drop towards the back again.

Overall I've been really enjoying F1 this season, seems like the new rules are working and the cars are able to follow better and there seems to be a lot more scrapping going on throughout the whole field! 

Does anybody have any thoughts on how to prevent porpoising? The F1 teams don't seem to have cracked it yet. Active suspension is probably not allowed in the regs.

My tuppence worth are:

1. variable geometry to the leading edge of the underbody that allows enough air in to prevent stalling.

2. a valve to the underbody that opens when the vacuum pressure gets too much. A bit like a pressure cooker in reverse, that will keep the vacuum at a constant pressure.

In a lot of other racing groups they use bump stops that prevent the car from going any lower. I use them on the front shocks of my Cup-R to keep the from splitter from stalling. Maybe their rules do not allow this, I do not know. It is a common problem and most teams, as long as the rules allow, use this method.

Later,
Eldon

I noticed that a couple of times, but later it as gone. It was not sparking like you see at the rear, then thought something had got trapped under the centre. Did not see it again towards the end of the race. The only conclusion I came to was a very long contact with the ground and a metal surface?

2 hours ago, chipp said:

There appeared to be a light under the front of ( I think) Hamiltons car, something related maybe?

The announcers said that Merc had optioned to run with the inertial sensor installed and the light from that. It weights like 1.5 Kg so most teams don't run it for qualifying  and the race.

Later,
Eldon

• Like 1

Cheers, had not heard that, I watched the highlights but had the race live on the radio earlier.. Certainly was not a light that they could have used to flash at the car in front of them to try to get it out of the way - live they do in BTCC touring car races!  Or even some drivers use on the public highway.

@mg4lotus, interesting question that I have no idea how to solve.  

Generally speaking F1 rules do not allow surfaces to deform and change shape so I think option 1 might not be allowed.

I wonder if the fix has to be mechanical rather than aerodynamic as per @EldonZ.  Possibly any aero solution just leads to porpoising again as it doesn't matter how the negative pressure underneath the car is relived wether its through your flap that opens or the under body air flow stalling.  Either option leads to the car producing  more and more downforce until a threshold point and then the downforce is reduced and then back to building downforce again and repeat.

I am no aerodynamicist so that may all be totally incorrect, just thinking out around.

My bad description, what I was thinking with my mind didn't come out in the correct words.

What I was thinking was that the leading edge of the underbody would have a corrugated profile or mini-channels. Enough to let air continue flowing and prevent stalling. No doubt it's probably against the regs.

I'm not an aerodynamicist either so I may be talking tosh but can't help thinking about possible solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

We are all asleep, hoping for more tomorrow.

McLaren look a bit better, but probably no chance of them getting a podium.

Hope Max gets more upset tomorrow by another DNF.

• Like 1

Just watched the sprint. Stunning overtake by Max on Leclerc, who’s also on fire so far this year. Bodes well for the race.

Hamster out-qualified by his teammate. I can see him jacking it in if Merc don’t sort out their problems very soon.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Hamster out-qualified by his teammate. I can see him jacking it in if Merc don’t sort out their problems very soon.

Lewis in the Chelsea  management team?  (Not as 'manager' though.)

Can't see him really wanting to give up the need for competition, if there is a chance for Merc to get better later this year. Or, anyone think a change of team for next year, no places with the red team, how about a return to McLaren?

Good (lucky) result for Lando, and how embarrassing for LH / Merc being lapped.

Overall it was only the excitement of Ferrari managing not to get a podium finish that made it mildly interesting.

It's strangely quiet in here. Almost ghostly.

A deserved win for Max, flawless performance, but more importantly it opens up the championship race again. Driver of the day for me was Russell, though. To get that car into 4th when world champion Hamster was languishing in 13th is nothing short of sensational.

Margate Exotics.

59 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

opens up the championship race again

Certainly has done that, if RB have overcome the reliability issues and Ferrari have their occasional strategy error - as they have had in previous years  - then it look as if Max will be champion this year. 

After these first  races all the teams have at least 1 point, would indicate that the race near the top of the constructors championship will be close.

I think it’s too early to speculate, at least I hope so because it’ll be boring otherwise! I love to see it go down to the wire. On a dry track it’s quite possible Leclerc could have won the race, he’s clearly in a very strong position, and, one minor cock-up notwithstanding, is driving superbly. I wouldn’t bet against him.

Unless Mercs get a grip I can see Hamster bailing out though, if not mid-season, then at the end of it. He’s being humiliated by George.

Margate Exotics.