Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elephants trunking. - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elephants trunking.

Removed the convoluted trunking from behind the engine trim panel, air inlet duct and the restrictive steel mesh in order to replace it with something less so. While I’m on the case, thought I might as well reroute the hose and bypass the silencer.

I found the air inlet duct has been damaged, so I’m thinking of manufacturing another from GRP, as I’ve struggled to find any 85mm fittings that might do as a mould. However the trunking has taken such a set, presumably as it’s now 25 years old, that it’ll be an impossibility to get the required bend radii now. It’s solid!

Does anyone know where I could get trunking similar, as at the moment I don’t fancy paying the £120 + Vat from SJs. I’ve had a look, but failed to find any 85mm diameter, only 90mm, but I can make that fit.

F1A7AA13-C18E-4DEC-BBEF-C0660AD31C10.jpeg

27A15EA8-1034-495D-AB8E-9B4F65FF99C4.jpeg

Margate Exotics.

Somewhere on the forum, or on LotusTalk, there's a neat replacement for the trunking detailed that bypasses the silencer using a couple of silicone hose bends and an aluminium coupler. I think it was posted by MrDangerUS.

Did you find the rat that feasted on your intake adapter :)

• Thanks 1

I don’t remember seeing that fix, but I’ll see if I can find it. Hopefully the God of the TLF search function will be kind, but I’m not hopeful.

Thankfully, the offending Esprat has long since been banished and with luck, died a horrible and painful death at least equal to the pain I’ve had to endure over the past 6 years of ownership.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If you focus on any one of the flow restrictive parts in the in the air intake system, you'll be able to identify ways in which to improve that individual item, e.g. corrugated vs. smooth pipes, less restrictive inlet grate etc. However the real elephant in the room, so to speak, is the pressure drop over the air filter which dominates the overall intake dP. If you're going to convert a given ££ into improved flow rate, that would be the place to start. 

• Gold FFM

Forcing air through a porous media to remove particulates will always incur a pressure drop. In theory a cyclonic separation approach might be more efficient (in terms of dP, similar to what Dyson pioneered), found this reference: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0954407017704879 don't have access to the paper and the abstract doesn't indicate which approach is more efficient (filter vs cyclone). Coupled with the fact that I don't know of any OEM who is looking into this technology does rather indicate it's not worth the increased cost. Interesting nevertheless.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Considering the first air filter was introduced 80 years ago, and there hasn't been a fundamental change to that technology since, do wonder if there's scope to consider a different approach.

• Gold FFM

I can't remember what size I used on mine. I'll measure the leftover offcut  from what I bought when I pop out to the garage later if you want.

I didn't have any hoses at all on my S4s when I bought it so I had to measure the two openings to get the right size hose and if I recall I found the air box fitting was marginally bigger than the one up by the filler flap on mine.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

17 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

Considering the first air filter was introduced 80 years ago, and there hasn't been a fundamental change to that technology since, do wonder if there's scope to consider a different approach.

K&N? Green Filter? Pretty sure they function differently to a concertina paper filter. Air filtration technology exists, but there are limitations on cost and space.

Thanks for the offer, Tom, but I've ordered the silicone hoses and joiner, they should do the job.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

@Chillidoggy, all those filters work on the same principle of forcing air through some porous media that the particulates stick to. Sure, some will certainly be more efficient than others. Only other 2 completely different methods of getting the particles out I can think of is to spin the air so they fly out to the periphery (cyclonic) or electro-static attraction. No idea if either of these has ever been prototyped? 

I suspect someone has already been there, and James Dyson might have a better person to ask. But as I said, cost and space in a car may well be prohibitive.

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1

Margate Exotics.

On 14/07/2020 at 20:35, RobinB5 said:

found this reference: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0954407017704879 don't have access to the paper

Sci-Hub to the rescue! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub)

Here you go! https://sci-hub.tw/10.1177/0954407017704879

Edited by Giniw
  • Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

1.6% more power, 2.3% more torque compared to a (new) air filter. Although the size of the separator is no bigger than some of the air filter mods I've seen, the fact that it is mounted vertically would present some challenges in the engine bay! :) 

This is a great thread and I asked a similar question in another thread about the possibility of a better turbo air intake solution....I know our engine bay gets extremely hot so it would not be a wise move to simply put a large cone filter on the turbo due to the heat but our air intake piping is so long with so many bends....I just keep thinking there could be a better way (but I could be totally wrong). Has anyone tested or thought to maybe pipe the air intake down and to the left side rear of the car behind the engine with a large cone filter with a protective covering or something like that to reduce the length and bends of the system to get a more efficient system. Or is something like that simply not worth it....

The TWAT search flagged by my parental controls setup for my son....haha....that was hilarious. 

Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Jason

• Like 1

Personally, and from and cost/benefit point of view, I think @CHANGESsolution is impossible to beat. The only reason I didn’t do it was due to the wife and I wanting to drive the car as much as possible this year, I’d already rebuilt the engine so spent an inordinate amount of time on the car, and I know I would also have taken quite a while over the inlet job because I’m a pedant.

Check out ‘High Performance Esprits’ group on Facebook and search Peter Harding’s posts, he’s made a beautiful job of it.

Margate Exotics.

• 1 month later...