Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS Project - Page 18 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Project

• Gold FFM
On 19/06/2023 at 21:51, Fridge said:

Unless you're tracking an Esprit I'm not sure it's worth it on a road car. Though they corner well, compared to a present day rocket shopper they're pedestrian.

@grayp77 is the one to advise as I believe he has tracked his modified S1 extensively.

Apologies for the slow response… I don’t think my input will help you much either! 😬

Up until 2015 my Esprit was used as a competitive race car and the engine was modified accordingly.  The previous owners fitted a sizeable dry sump system (in place of the drivers side fuel cell) to negate any issues relating to loss of oil whilst cornering. 

I bought the Esprit as a race car and just maintain it in its current form (with the help of a budget friendly engineer!). I am not really mechanically minded, just a driver, so can’t really add anything useful…. sorry 🙂

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@grayp77typical racing driver 😆

I was hoping for some technical gems, as your S1 has done a lot more fast miles than most I imagine.

The dry sump mod was probably very beneficial when used in such pursuits, given the 907 engine being prone to oil loss around the main bearings on hard cornering, I gather.

Thanks for responding anyway. For a modified S1 I always think it looks great, and better still that it's used enthusiastically.

10 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

I was more interested in the plastic pipes reliability wrt leaks than the pressure readings  per se . 

In which case perhaps @grayp77 could recall what his recollections of the oil pressure reading at the instrument cluster was during his escapades?

As I previously stated, the S1 Veglia cluster is arbitatory at best, but once used to how it works in normal use it is fine. Especially for road use. Having used a mechanical Smiths gauge for diagnostics, with its greater number of markings, the readings can be enjoyed with greater confidence.

So unless you're intending to "push the envelope" I think we could be talking about something that's not an issue in normal use.

• 3 weeks later...

Still fettling the new radiator shroud so it fits correctly - think I'm on the last tweak . I can then fit the new radiator and the oil cooler and then plumb the radiator in . 

Car is booked to go to Lotusbits for its body control module/ wiring and the gold stripes in a week . I can then fit the interior 

I checked that the window motors worked today , which they do . Just as well as Dave Lisle rebuild the motors.😁 

How do I test the mirrors work ? 5 wires . Also advice on removing the mirror  glass ( which needs replacing ) would be appreciated . 

The throttle cable seems to foul a small bracket bolted to the side of the "tunnel" - think it maybe a footrest ??

My list of jobs is getting smaller .....

The bracket on the side of the tunnel in front of the clutch pedal is for the throttle cable. Cable runs along the side of the tunnel and then up along the top (on an S1).

Shouldn't foul. Mine did when I begin fitting the carpet having been running fine. Turned out to be the tension at the carb throttle linkage which had been reduced over the winter. Once corrected throttle response was returned to normal. Worth checking perhaps.

21 hours ago, Fridge said:

The bracket on the side of the tunnel in front of the clutch pedal is for the throttle cable. Cable runs along the side of the tunnel and then up along the top (on an S1).

Shouldn't foul. Mine did when I begin fitting the carpet having been running fine. Turned out to be the tension at the carb throttle linkage which had been reduced over the winter. Once corrected throttle response was returned to normal. Worth checking perhaps.

I'll have another go at it tomorrow 

• Like 1

Looks very good, I take it your brake shields were well corroded like mine? I’m yet to find a suitable replacement.

That lower shock bolt could do with being 5mm longer to properly protrude through the nylon insert in the nyloc but that’s only being picky 🙂

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

23 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Looks very tidy underneath. Do you ever drive it? 🤔

Ours all look like that during restoration. The clue is in the page name 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Looks very good, I take it your brake shields were well corroded like mine? I’m yet to find a suitable replacement.

That lower shock bolt could do with being 5mm longer to properly protrude through the nylon insert in the nyloc but that’s only being picky 🙂

Dave 

Quite a few things to sort one it is " finished " - when I get the suspension set up , those bolts are on the list . The brake discs are vented now with 4 pot calipers and didn't come with shields . 

4 hours ago, Rambo said:

Looks very tidy underneath. Do you ever drive it? 🤔

Not yet ... as its not on the road 😁

Edited by Djs44
  • Like 2

Oh I see that now 😁

With me running a similar power plant perhaps the brake upgrade will be wise 🧐🙂

David, I wasn’t aware you took that step already, I’m guessing you’re a big fan? 👍🏻

This is going to be an awesome JPS when finished 😉

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Yes, 4-pot and vented perhaps overkill given the car's weight and power, but dictated by what's available for 14" wheels.

They're very effective, but perhaps I need green pads(?) as they can squeal.

I do like them. A worthy upgrade IMO.

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2023 at 18:39, Djs44 said:

How do I test the mirrors work ? 5 wires . Also advice on removing the mirror  glass ( which needs replacing ) would be appreciated . 

The throttle cable seems to foul a small bracket bolted to the side of the "tunnel" - think it maybe a footrest ??

My list of jobs is getting smaller .....

Hi Derek,

Removing the mirror glass involves using a heat gun to soften the adhesive that sticks the mirror to the back plate which is attached to the motor then very gentle pry the glass off. It's very think and easily snapped but replacements available through SJ etc. Can't help with testing the mirror motors but I can send a pick of the connected wires. The motor doesn't work with a smooth movement but with clicks like a solenoid if that makes sense.

The throttle cable runs behind that footrest but should foul it unless the cable is in the wrong place.

Pete 

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks Pete - is it just a case of putting 12v to each of the coloured wires to test each solenoid whilst putting the black to earth ?

( are you at VSCC Prescott in a couple of week ?) 

18 hours ago, Djs44 said:

Thanks Pete - is it just a case of putting 12v to each of the coloured wires to test each solenoid whilst putting the black to earth ?

( are you at VSCC Prescott in a couple of week ?) 

I reckon that should do it.

Sadly not at Prescott thanks to work! Haven't been for ages so a bit gutted.

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Radiator now fully fitted and plumbed in and oil cooler . Steering column with new joints bolted up . Horns in , speedo cable on . 

Car should be off the LotusBits tomorrow for wiring and stripe fitting . Possibly rear screen. Then I need to put all the interior in , get the front windscreen fitted , suspension geo done  and then all the other bits I haven't thought of yet . 😆.

Pretty sure the exhaust will need fettling and handbrake cables are about 3 feet too long . 

I also have some holes to fit grommets into , but will have to wait for the wiring to be complete first. 

I still need to sort the leather in front of the dashboard ( before screen and dash are fitted ) . I have the leather . 

The headlining is o/s . 

Won't be ready in July 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Looks great . I'm getting closer on my original black and gold, but non JPS

Unfortunately, doing the wiring myself, but stripes do make a huge difference 😬

You can see light at the end of the tunnel . When are you hoping to be in the road 

Screenshot_20230808-104907~2.png

Screenshot_20230808-104835~2.png

• Like 1

Yours is looking great ! 

I've decided it will be finished when it is finished ! I'm in no rush and quite enjoying working on it  generally . 

The 2 o/s items are headlining and the leather on the beam in front of the dash .