Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Keeping Evora outside.. - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Keeping Evora outside..

jamesbilluk

Hi all, 

Looks like I'm closer to my Evora purchase  now! Booked in to see a  2009 Persian Blue one. 

This will be my daily driver, Are these cars alright to be left outside? As it seems to be rain constantly at the moment... Also the airbag cover seems be fine, is there a way to prevent it warping? 

James.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
14 minutes ago, Bibs said:

They're fine outside and get a cover or sunshade for when it's hot or sat for a while in direct sunlight :)

Thank you Bibs :) Good to know. Will get a sunshade purchased as well, In preparation for the hotter weather! 

I've got a windscreen shade for the summer - you can also try and park your car facing north which will make a bit of a difference to the direct sunlight.

I had a leak into the passenger footwell - sorted by Bell and Colvill who replaced the A pillar trim and fiddled with the seal. 

One other thing though - expect your mudguard brackets to happily rust through in about 5 minutes. I've just put some stainless ones on mine. Hopefully they'll last a bit longer 😆

21 minutes ago, Daveb99 said:

I think the pre 2012 cars can leak via the door seals though can't they, leading to damp carpets in the footwells?   One I looked at this week was damp in the boot too.

Ah, will take a look at that when I view it. 

21 minutes ago, jerzybondov said:

I've got a windscreen shade for the summer - you can also try and park your car facing north which will make a bit of a difference to the direct sunlight.

I had a leak into the passenger footwell - sorted by Bell and Colvill who replaced the A pillar trim and fiddled with the seal. 

One other thing though - expect your mudguard brackets to happily rust through in about 5 minutes. I've just put some stainless ones on mine. Hopefully they'll last a bit longer 😆

Thank you, will get a shade fir the summer :)

will check for leaks as well, 

Ah, I've heard about that, this may well have already happened on this one.. 

• Gold FFM
43 minutes ago, Daveb99 said:

One I looked at this week was damp in the boot too.

If you’ve seen the way the boot carpet is fitted - it’s lipped under the boot seal.

any rain and it’ll wick wet up and under the seals and into the boot.

• Thanks 1

Only here once

My NA 2010 has lived outside for 3 years. No issues at all. I don't even trickle charge it. 18,000 miles in those 3 years.

Covercraft do a bespoke sunshade - fits perfectly and covers the whole screen. I think only available via USA website, I bought mine from TLF member who sold his Evora. 

Justin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

If you’ve seen the way the boot carpet is fitted - it’s lipped under the boot seal.

any rain and it’ll wick wet up and under the seals and into the boot.

Thank you. Will take a look on the day. 

3 minutes ago, jep said:

My NA 2010 has lived outside for 3 years. No issues at all. I don't even trickle charge it. 18,000 miles in those 3 years.

Covercraft do a bespoke sunshade - fits perfectly and covers the whole screen. I think only available via USA website, I bought mine from TLF member who sold his Evora. 

Justin 

Thanks Justin, that's great to hear. 

Will take a look for the cover craft sunshade as well. 

Good to hear the door seals are cheap.  Is that the revised ones Bibs?

James - I was looking at one yesterday local to me, and was told that the Persian blue one is a bit rough around the edges, assuming you're looking at this one https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011045795810?model=EVORA&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&make=LOTUS&postcode=cv130rj&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&page=1

So perhaps there is room for some negotiation.....or if it's just not good enough, just walk away.   Hope you get on OK with it anyway.   

20 minutes ago, Daveb99 said:

Good to hear the door seals are cheap.  Is that the revised ones Bibs?

James - I was looking at one yesterday local to me, and was told that the Persian blue one is a bit rough around the edges, assuming you're looking at this one https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011045795810?model=EVORA&radius=1501&advertising-location=at_cars&make=LOTUS&postcode=cv130rj&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&page=1

So perhaps there is room for some negotiation.....or if it's just not good enough, just walk away.   Hope you get on OK with it anyway.   

Thats the one, tricky to tell from photos. Ah, is it interior and exterior that are not great? 

Hopefully it's things that can be worked on. 

Edited by jamesbilluk
Spelling

The Persian blue Evora looks great in the advert James and it looks like it as the rare blue tip janspeed factory sports exhaust fitted which in my opinion is a must the standard exhaust is far to quiet. Past owner of a NA here, great cars and good luck with the viewing 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

The Persian blue Evora looks great in the advert James and it looks like it as the rare blue tip janspeed factory sports exhaust fitted which in my opinion is a must the standard exhaust is far to quiet. Past owner of a NA here, great cars and good luck with the viewing 👍

Thank you :) I always seem to get carried away on viewings! 

Thats good to know about the exhaust :) I did wonder about the blue tips, that was going to be one of my first modifications if it was standard. 

Edited by jamesbilluk
Correction
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jep said:

Second this. I got mine from Greg’s race parts in the US, it’s pricey compared to normal windscreen sunshades but fits the Evora’s unique curved windscreen perfectly and is a quality item. The only problem when shipping things from the US is the rather large temptation to order a bunch of carbon parts for shipping “economies of scale”... (otherwise known as man maths)

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Mine is doing fine outside, no problems at all so far. Just make sure you cover the dash and you'll be OK. Might want to leave the handbrake off if you are leaving it for a while and it's rainy, you can always leave it in gear and/or chock the wheels.

• Like 1

My car lives outside and beside a long standing boot leaks which 3 dealers and friends on here have tried to resolve still have it ☹️
I did purchase a cheapie car cover for during mega bad snow times otherwise it seems fine especially as I drive the car only once or twice a week. Sunshade def required in summer , but also i park under some trees so car is covered in sap or bird poo so constantly need to wash the car.  

14 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

My car lives outside and beside a long standing boot leaks which 3 dealers and friends on here have tried to resolve still have it ☹️
I did purchase a cheapie car cover for during mega bad snow times otherwise it seems fine especially as I drive the car only once or twice a week. Sunshade def required in summer , but also i park under some trees so car is covered in sap or bird poo so constantly need to wash the car.  

Were the leaky boot issues resolved with later cars, 2012 onwards perhaps?

• Gold FFM

I’d like to see a later boot seal and how that carpet fits....

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

My bets are if you pull the boot seal off - the webbing which is on the edge of the carpet and lips over the boot edge and is held in place with the rubber seal is absolutely sopping wet.

Only here once

23 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I’d like to see a later boot seal and how that carpet fits....

My bets are if you pull the boot seal off - the webbing which is on the edge of the carpet and lips over the boot edge and is held in place with the rubber seal is absolutely sopping wet.

Sure is and therefore all carpet below is drenched !
Solution = do I replace the boot seal ? The boot lid been adjusted to an inch of its life too ! 
anyway I couldn’t check today as I couldn’t get the boot open again ☹️

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

I’d remove the webbing from behind that seal. Dry out the carpet and see if the wet returns - just my theory

Sorry to steal the tread 

but yes Barry did try this however not tried to replace boot seal yet ?

was thinking about replacing the boot carpet as it’s starting to get very stale smelling and poor condition

• Like 1