Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 50 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

Had been struggling to get some eggs. Neighbours hens had decided to come into my garden last week and I found 6, nice and fresh eggs last night whilst gardening. They tasted absolutely lovely this morning, boiled, with a couple of slices of well buttered (salted of course) beautiful toast!  

Couldn't give the eggs back as that would have broken the self isolation rules 🤣

3 minutes ago, au-yt said:

Cant even just go for a drive as its not essential travel, and Air B&Bs are now deemed Illegal In Australia for the lock down to stop people traveling anywhere over Easter

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/coronavirus-australia-people-fined-for-blatantly-going-for-a-drive-as-police-crack-down/news-story/6316b2b999ababca2a56d95c9293bb91

@Barrykearley is always on the look out for new victims visitors to his AirBnB venue. Think he's had loads of interest....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, tom kilner said:

11 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Mass testing does what exactly? It just gives a picture at any given point of who is infected.

The tests are needed to monitor the effects of the various efforts to restrict the spread of the  virus, and to help predict upcoming demand for hospital treatment.

If you can test enough people, you can then ease restrictions for some or all the population,  but we're not really there yet with the quantity and resources available.

Antibody tests (post-recovery) could be used to allow people back to work after quarantine, or work in high risk areas, but I don't think we're there yet with these either

Really interesting insight from the Scottish medical Guy who has been on the BBC on this. He explained how the testing/sampling is done for Flu every year and how this is used to calculate the demand. It is based on areas around GP practices and surveys at practices and he was at pains to point out the same process was being used by COVID19 and this was one of the reasons why, to date, testing of the whole population was not required or needed. It seems that if you delve a bit further under the many layers of shite that is being spouted by "non experts" in the press, the UK's approach has been very much driven by the science and the experts, and that is why the advice has changed, as it has changed in line with the science and advice.

However, for our press, it seems its easier to just write stories that pick a fight about how the UK's strategy is inferior to Italy/Germany/Spain whomever when you are not comparing like with like.

Also, look at the hoo-ha over the US not letting masks etc going to Europe - and yet when France stopped the export of consignments to the UK, there was no mention or hoo-ha in Europe. I am so, so glad, we left those shysters. Borders being closed. Cooperation across countries collapsing. Yeah, who wants to be a part of that!

• Like 2

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

14 hours ago, Bibs said:

That news is about a week old Jacques, I'd hope it's been dealt with by now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52177125

Boris has been taken to hospital, do you think he has to buy his own TV card?! :lol:

I read it in a Romanian newsarticle, so it may be delayed as usual.

No, I think a lot of people sucks up to him, so he might get a freebee. Anyway, just read he is possibly a bit more ill, that estimated at first. So best of luck for a full recovery to him and everyone else.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Airbnb has been a complete fecking nightmare. Dealing with those idiots over the last couple of weeks has been seriously painful and proper hard work. They simply don’t give a shit about the lockdown. Booking.com have been great.

bottom line - I simply won’t let anyone come - end of. If an emergency worker wants it then that’s fine.

Well the government aren't happy about it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52184497

• Gold FFM

Airbnb are taking the piss. Honestly I was threatened with cancellation charges and being stripped of superhost status if I refused to let people come. This was on the evening of the PMs no movements and for the following few days after

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Airbnb are taking the piss. Honestly I was threatened with cancellation charges and being stripped of superhost status if I refused to let people come. This was on the evening of the PMs no movements and for the following few days after

Ah but will continue to use them after this is all over?

7 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Really interesting insight from the Scottish medical Guy who has been on the BBC on this. He explained how the testing/sampling is done for Flu every year and how this is used to calculate the demand. It is based on areas around GP practices and surveys at practices and he was at pains to point out the same process was being used by COVID19 and this was one of the reasons why, to date, testing of the whole population was not required or needed. It seems that if you delve a bit further under the many layers of shite that is being spouted by "non experts" in the press, the UK's approach has been very much driven by the science and the experts, and that is why the advice has changed, as it has changed in line with the science and advice.

However, for our press, it seems its easier to just write stories that pick a fight about how the UK's strategy is inferior to Italy/Germany/Spain whomever when you are not comparing like with like.

Also, look at the hoo-ha over the US not letting masks etc going to Europe - and yet when France stopped the export of consignments to the UK, there was no mention or hoo-ha in Europe. I am so, so glad, we left those shysters. Borders being closed. Cooperation across countries collapsing. Yeah, who wants to be a part of that!

This is very true. No one strategy fits all as there are macro and micro variations in all countries that will impact on protection strategies. Even in the UK London is different to most of the rest of the country.

What is also interesting is that if the R0 for COVID19 is 2.5 and a mortality rate of 0.66% and extrapolating current deaths back to mid March we could be surprisingly close to the 'herd immunity' level needed to stop spread of 60%. The trouble is some small differences in the calculations make HUGE differences to infected people so antibody testing is going to be essential to establish the true level of immunity. Looks like France will be the first country to get this up and running which will be immensely useful to everybody

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

A lot of these new "tech disruptor" companies have very questionable ethics when it really comes down to it. All they care about if building the platform, growing subscriber numbers to drive financial valuation then exiting with a squillion in the bank and fook everyone else. Just my view/take on it. Not saying I am right. 

• Like 2

The small print.

Given the move to ICU it's probable he will be put on a ventilator but not a certainty. They would not occupy an ICU bed if there was not a good chance of it being needed. Given who he is the move may be earlier than an ordinary patient would get.

Yep, this will unsettle the financial markets even more than they are.  I sometimes struggle to take Boris seriously, I just get visions of the Newzoids  and Headcases portrayals, but I do hope he recovers.

• Like 1

With regards to Boris, doesn’t this have to go down as a proper Security f*ck-up? Surely there are official Procedures in place for such an event? We have known the virus was coming for 3 months. As soon as it arrived here (that Chinese family in York?), they should have put these Procedures into action. Something like a lockdown for staff at Chequers and then take Boris there a week or so later. He could comfortably lead the Country from there without risk to himself and his family. All meetings could have been handled by video. Instead he stayed in the melting pot of No. 10, with countless visitors and appearances. Should we be surprised that Matt Hancock caught it and possibly other unelected officials (Professor Whitty and Dominic Cummings for example?). Did he keep at least 2 metres away from all of them at all times? Did he wash his hands after every contact with a person or inanimate object that could have come into contact with? Did he even stay at home? He certainly didn’t in the earlier weeks of the spread.

We knew from China what the dangers were. The risk of such a pandemic or even hostile man-made biological attack has been known about for decades. The NHS even carry out regular exercises to prepare themselves for it. So why was the Prime Minister allowed to remain in such danger, when he could have been easily removed to safety and carry on his work? No other country has allowed themselves to get in this position. I can’t help thinking that the Security forces have got a lot to answer for.

Get well soon Boris. Hopefully we won’t let this happen ever again.

• Like 2

He is, after all, just another here today - gone tomorrow politician. He's a commoner, not even royal. He is, like us, just another human being.

My money is on Trump getting it. Have you seen how close he is to other people when giving briefings. Do these people never learn, obviously not Trump. He's an ignoramus.

• Like 1