Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 88 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

@Sparky - get Tracy chained to that sowing machine mate. My cash is waiting (paypal so covid compliant ;) ) when she's done!  Does she do them in Fire Red? Blacks always a bugger to keep clean looking....

• Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 12/07/2020 at 08:28, rjwooll said:

so fewer are dying now

Heard that a local funeral place has much fewer deaths now than last year. Are the statistics being applied correctly to indicate what is really happening? And why is so little being said about ways to boost immune system, like getting sunlight exposure? 

Even at the time when the most deaths were occurring, funeral directors were taking a big financial hit. The funerals were a lot less complex, with  private family-only services, no post-event gathering etc, all that means less add-on services and less time required so they will be less busy. Now, with lower death rates and still probably less add-ons (e.g. would many 60+yr olds etc want to gather in a venue after a funeral if they have been told to keep distant from people?) it will be even more of a hit for the funeral directors.

• Gold FFM

No, you have the scale wrong.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Fortunately, Tracy's a bit of a whizzkid on the sewing machine.

Mask.jpg

Is that your thong?

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

• Gold FFM

Schlong thong?

----------------------

On the mask thing, yes the inside of your eye sockets is a mucous membrane, but it pales into insignificance to the mucous membrane square area that is exposed to potential infection via your nose, mouth and lungs.

So, if you maintain distance from people as much as possible and wear a mask, the likelihood of contracting C19 via your eyes as the infection point, would be extremely low.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Will you have to wear a mask even where social distancing is being observed

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

On 09/07/2020 at 12:00, Bibs said:

Jeff Bezos is estimated to be worth 178 billion dollars which puts that into perspective. Don't understand why the government is loathe to increase income tax . When I started work and right up to the mid eighties income tax was 33% or 30% . For some reason modern chancellor's have reduced tax down to 20% but increased national insurance which is easier for companies and individuals to avoid

Er no.

Yes, the basic rate of income tax has come down and this has been to benefit lower earners and reduce their tax take.  Seems like a fair and positive move to me and the right thing to do as this helps the young and pensioners more proportionally.

However, the tax rate at the higher end has gone up. I paid 43% on all my earnings last year and don't have any "personal allowance". I don't whinge about that 43%, it's fair, but I will whinge if it goes any higher as I also have full NIC's taken out as well which takes my overall deductions to around 48%.  Hence why I would pissed if it went any higher. (or not as I couldn't afford the wine!)  :)

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Lower earners can be protected by raising the free pay amount. In  the seventies top rate was 83%

Yup I've paid higher and I was bothered about it then and will be if it happens again. Not sure what your point is Pete - there is a point where ever higher taxes becomes counter productive and actually disincentives people to aspire and work hard.

• Like 2

The small print.

It will still be paid back it will just take longer. I've been working no stop these past months AND paying my taxes, I firmly believe I have paid enough! 

The small print.

This isn't just about you, there are 30 million others in the uk  . 10% of taxpayers pay 60% of all tax so maybe the other 90% need to contribute a bit more

Yup. You got me there.  My mates from the council estate wouldn't know me....

• Haha 1

The small print.

3 hours ago, pete said:

This isn't just about you, there are 30 million others in the uk  . 10% of taxpayers pay 60% of all tax so maybe the other 90% need to contribute a bit more

The top 1% of earners pay 30% of all tax, largely due to the significant number of adults in the UK who pay no tax at all. Good luck getting them to get in there wallets.

Fundamentally, I think the tax system right now is pretty fair and would be happy to see it stay the same and if that means it takes longer to pay the Covid bill then fair enough. It took is until 2015, around 160 years to pay the slavery debt. It took us 60 years to pay all the debts from WW2. So if it takes 50 years for COVID so what?

But the reality is, higher tax rate payers will be the ones who get hit as (1) We'll complain but pay it and (2) politically it is palatable.

So whilst it's not about me, I'll end up footing more of the bill, again like all the other higher rate taxpayers!!!  Bear in mind I work PAYE so can't pay myself dividends or any other "tax dodges" - the taxman see's everything and takes a fcuking shit load......

Maybe leave the income tax rates and thresholds as they are. Stick a £1 a pint duty on beer/cider. £3 on a bottle of wine. £5 on spirits. £5 on a packet of 20. And up VAT to 40% on shellsuits, hoodies, joggers that don't cover your arse crack, tops that show your belly button from your pot belly (male or female) and anything made by Superdry, Lonsdale or Burberry! Should get the COVID bill paid for quicker.

At the same time whap up the tax on watches and "luxury goods" to 40% - if you can spend £25k on a rose gold Daytona you can afford £30k, legalise weed with a 25% VAT rate and introduce a new minimum price tax on chocolates, sweets and biscuits of £1 per 100grams.  Sorted.

• Haha 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Now @C8RKH I disagree with your Dividend comment especially as on 1st Aug I will be paying a massive Corp Tax bill along with the pensions, private health care and NI I pay  etc, etc ( and topping up anyone furloughed)  . However the legalise drugs and tax it is a brilliant idea, I don’t btw ( well not for decades) do treat yourself and watch Micheal Moore ( no not a fan) Invade Next and watch all of it as it will make you think and the Portugal part is fascinating maybe not as much as the Norway jail system. Worth a watch . 

@Dan E - there are some people who play by the rules (sounds like that includes you) and there are others who just take the piss - but then you get that in PAYE world too......

Generally, I'm a happy bunny. I earn OK and so happily pay my taxes.  But I do get more and more pissed about the fact that people like me are seen as "soft targets" for tax rises.  Any hows, nothing much I ever say on here is to be taken seriously. It's just a good place to vent!  Hahahaha...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The small print.