Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mathewson's Auction - Turbo Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Mathewson's Auction - Turbo Esprit

stephenwhyte

Can’t quite believe what this one sold for......!😳

It’s a bit of a “Heinz 57”......but I suppose most that saw wouldn’t care.......great to see it achieving what it did👍
https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/auction-dates/vehicles/16816-future-entry-1981-lotus-esprit-turbo?fbclid=IwAR0Fvc4PSLw5GdfwPtUCdLaL3wTxZHPKxG-nXmEwCAuQ0odt6tP78pGUEtw

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can't say I  like the stripes on the front, at least the engine cover is still black.

There does not seem to be the achieved amount. A number of their auctions they put the best bid to the owner and then discuss if it should sell.

2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

come on - what did it fetch??

May have to wait until it gets on TV?

2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

@stephenwhyte come on - what did it fetch??

£48k plus commission apparently!!!😳
I’m seeing a lot of reasons on it that would’ve had me thinking it wouldn’t go for that much.....but maybe things are seriously on the up!!👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Senior said:

About £52-£53k all in

I'll be following this one next week.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa073-lot-262-1978-lotus-esprit-s2-jps?el=15161&pn=2&pp=100

I think we could be starting with a £7.....for that one

2 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

I'd be amazed if it got that, I have a JPS, not perfect but not far off and more original than the one on offer. I'd have a serious think at £60k.

16 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

This has been for sale for less than £50k for several months.

3 minutes ago, chipp said:

This has been for sale for less than £50k for several months.

Was this the one that Howards had for some months.

Those holes are pretty odd.

And is the electrics box in the boot (see boot carpet) an ex-dry sump thing?   Also see it doesn't have a common vacuum rail for the servo/vacuum reservoir.  When was that introduced?

13 hours ago, Senior said:

About £52-£53k all in

I'll be following this one next week.

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/sa073-lot-262-1978-lotus-esprit-s2-jps?el=15161&pn=2&pp=100

Its nice to see that JPS #22 has been smartened up over the last 5 years:

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=859

You can see from the photos that the restoration has shown attention to interior detail (gold speaker grilles, gear knob, panel switches, etc.) and the number plate has been changed from GVF 85T to DLH 393T. Looking good…

Im curious about the full removable roof panel on this 81 car. That would take a serious amount of work to install. The other later bits would be easy enough to revert back if desired.

20 minutes ago, RichardJGC said:

Im curious about the full removable roof panel on this 81 car. That would take a serious amount of work to install. The other later bits would be easy enough to revert back if desired.

Looks to be a possible reshell to me? Hopefully someone will confirm at some point soon, what work was carried out. I remember it when it sold last time around and all the work seemingly had just been completed - I’m sure it was sold by a retailer at the time and not an individual. 
I also hope the owner, if he comes on here.....takes all the above in his/her stride🤞They’ve still got a beautiful looking piece of British automotive history right there👍

On 20/03/2021 at 21:44, 910Esprit said:

Those holes are pretty odd.

And is the electrics box in the boot (see boot carpet) an ex-dry sump thing?   Also see it doesn't have a common vacuum rail for the servo/vacuum reservoir.  When was that introduced?

It was deleted on the later engines. The engine is a wet sump with A/C which looks to be from around 1985. 

The ignition box seems to have been moved to the boot to clear the non-standard "elephants trunk" hose.

Body shell is also later.

Yes, agree body shell looks maybe late 84 onwards?   Be interesting to see front suspension and brakes. 

Elephants trunk just looks like the earlier stitched material version (still have one on mine).   Not sure whats going on with that ballast resistor?   could have found a neater location if it needs one.  Overall engine bay detailing lets down what otherwise looks like a nice car.  

Re - Previous post.  A guy turnd up at my house a few months ago with an S1 with a retrofitted OE glass roof.   I recall it requires additional support, but it is doable.

Edited by 910Esprit