Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
garage floors !! - Page 2 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

garage floors !!

windymiller

That carpet is gorgeous but my mechanics' creeper wheels wouldn't roll worth a damn on it. When just built I prep'd the recently poured concrete of mine with sulfamic (IIRC) acid solution, rinsed and dried utterly then finished with 2k epoxy from the building supplies store. Truly tough, smooth, well stuck and non-slip despite no additives. Before banishment for the greater cause of Esprit renewal my wife's car did wear through what is an admittedly thin coating where her front tyres would be parked. This must be due either to stiction when arriving warm or her sawing at the wheel while getting it angled. Some happy day I'll have the Esprit stashed elsewhere and give the floor a refinish with same epoxy. I expect any inferior paint would not have lasted remotely as well.

Cheers

Just now, drdoom said:

That carpet is gorgeous but my mechanics' creeper wheels wouldn't roll worth a damn on it. Nor the floorjack wheels, come to think of it. When just built I prep'd the recently poured concrete of mine with sulfamic (IIRC) acid solution, rinsed and dried utterly then finished with 2k epoxy from the building supplies store. Truly tough, smooth, well stuck and non-slip despite no additives. Before banishment for the greater cause of Esprit renewal my wife's car did wear through what is an admittedly thin coating where her front tyres would be parked. This must be due either to stiction when arriving warm or her sawing at the wheel while getting it angled. Some happy day I'll have the Esprit stashed elsewhere and give the floor a refinish with same epoxy. I expect any inferior paint would not have lasted remotely as well.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@windymiller that looks great bud. Though you obviously had a tough time as we can see where you head butted the insulation a few times!  good job you missed the wood though.

Out of interest, from which notable establishment did you get the slatted panels? Are they easy to cut? And am I correct to assume you add "slidey" bits to add storage hooks etcetera, etcetera?

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

https://www.unishop.co.uk/

ive never used slatwalling before but its just mdf with a surface on, inserts come alluminium or plastic coloured, cutting i just flipped panels over and cut from behind as one would with a worktop etc, inserts slotted in after, and yes a plethora of hooks and shelves etc can be added after !!!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Ive been reading this thread with interest. I am currently having a new garage built. I envy you lot that are in the country with loads of outbuilding to choose from!

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of a residential street and have had a lot of problems with' nice' neighbours complaining to the council, planning department etc etc

Anyway that's by the by. Plans have been passed and planning dept is happy with my sectional garage plans. 

I now need to decide what flooring I am going to go with. All the previous suggestions are very good. However, mine will be a working garage with a parking hoist to accommodate the Eclat and Esprit. So lots of weight in the middle. (I have had the base reinforced with mesh and deeper thickness of concrete).

The base has been tamped down as well as possible but of course still has small ridges that Im afraid wont help if I need to move the parking hoist about.

So what would you recommend? Sand the concrete first? Then what? - Polyaspartic, Epoxy, ????? Cheers.

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4656.JPG

Bit late now, but before the concrete had set some would have recommended  trowelling it to get a smooth'ish finish.

I have used self leveling stuff on part of my garage floor to create a smoother finish over some rough parts where I had extended the garage. This might be possible once all the walls etc are up?

• Like 1

That floor is perfect if you are going to put cows in your garage, not so good if you plan on working on cars 😁.

Not very helpful I suppose, hope it all turns out well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Ive been reading this thread with interest. I am currently having a new garage built. I envy you lot that are in the country with loads of outbuilding to choose from!

Unfortunately, I am in the middle of a residential street and have had a lot of problems with' nice' neighbours complaining to the council, planning department etc etc

Anyway that's by the by. Plans have been passed and planning dept is happy with my sectional garage plans. 

I now need to decide what flooring I am going to go with. All the previous suggestions are very good. However, mine will be a working garage with a parking hoist to accommodate the Eclat and Esprit. So lots of weight in the middle. (I have had the base reinforced with mesh and deeper thickness of concrete).

The base has been tamped down as well as possible but of course still has small ridges that Im afraid wont help if I need to move the parking hoist about.

So what would you recommend? Sand the concrete first? Then what? - Polyaspartic, Epoxy, ????? Cheers.

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4656.JPG

What an awful finish 😲 Sorry, just my opinion. Get a new builder 😲

Edited by Rambo
Spelling changes

• Gold FFM

To be fair - it’s a tamped finish - and it looks just fine. My garage has exactly that on the floor - but it’s an agricultural shed. A polished or smooth finish is awful if you spill oil or any fluids as it becomes an ice rink. Horses for corses.

Only here once

24 minutes ago, Rambo said:

What an awful finish 😲 Sorry, just my opinion. Get a new builder 😲

And I guess it depends on what the OP asked his builder to do re the finish.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

with self levelling you can get interior grade and exterior but as barry says "if" you can get the concrete polished while its still green that takes out the possibility of the self levelling cracking under weight, normally you power float just as the concrete is nearly gone off so im un aware of the processes one might take after it has gone off but im sure there is one but do it sooner rather than later me thinks !

just found this https://polycote.com/product/flortex-freeflow/

• Like 1

As already said in earlier posts and personally would also suggest garage floor tiles the best option, easyfit, maintenance comfort and durability. Needs to be smoother than current finish though, either grind off or skim with self levelling beforehand. Had mine down for several years, no issues.
https://mototile.com

1084A240-2BA5-42EA-A137-EEAD9B5FF79B.jpeg

Level it off then plastic tiles from somewhere like Bigdug.

https://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-flooring-c402/garage-flooring-c20293/interlocking-floor-tiles-c20294/value-interlocking-vinyl-floor-tiles-p14434

Had these down for three years no issues. You can get a little "ramp" end finisher too so all looks very neat at the front of garage.  Makes a huge difference in the garage as stops the cold floor from draining any heat out.

• Like 1

The small print.

On a slightly different note, I’m planning on plaster boarding my garage. Does anyone know if 19x38mm batons would be okay on to bricks and breeze blocks?

thx

15 hours ago, LotusFella said:

On a slightly different note, I’m planning on plaster boarding my garage. Does anyone know if 19x38mm batons would be okay on to bricks and breeze blocks?

thx

including the above points yes but id go 400mm centres even on 12.5mm plasterboard

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. In the first instance, I think I will go with @Barrykearley's suggestion and get a grinder. Then when the garage is up, I can ponder which finish I go for.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

so looking to bling my walls up and wondered if anyone has a link for a nice sized lotus sign maybe ? some on ebay merely are printed on composite plastic or are simply a4 size, whats on ya walls ????

• 2 weeks later...