Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
COP26 - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

COP26

LotusLeftLotusRight

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

So there are no electricians who would like a job of installing x19 temprorary charging points?

Oh! Wait !! - they're all stuck on a ship as there are no lorry drivers around (in the world) and all the electricians have returned to the EU - see Brexit thread 😉 

If we're talking hypocrisy, were we actually serious about the environment, instead of blaming politicians (which is fine by me by the way cos they're fair game), none of us here would be driving Lotus cars, would we? We'd all be driving electric vehicles recharged by renewable sources, riding pushbikes or on horseback.

I also suspect a lot of people in India and indeed elsewhere around the globe are too busy eking out a living to care much whether they burn coal, gas or oil to keep themselves warm.

We are all the problem. And I do not exempt myself from that.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

none of us here would be driving Lotus cars

Given that a 25-ish year old Elise is ULEZ exempt but my 16 y/o toyota estate isn't , says much for the forward thinking of  Dear Ol' Lotus peeps - back in  the day

I take your other points.

2000 miles per annum in an ICE (1985 - when the world was a fab place to be) of which tax now represents some 80% of fuels costs (after I've paid income tax + vat etc), plus Road Fund Licence, + congestion charge + LEZ/ULEZ - my tax/revenue contribution to HMRC ought to be properly recognized.

Ooooopps! bloody USA spell chicken again, - *recognised*. 😉 

Oh - and if there wasn't demand for these items (e.g. Lotus, disposable nappies, BIC Biros etc. ) then who would actually have earned a living making them? 🤔

Perhaps the world would have run out of Juniper bushes a long time ago given Indians wanting a fire to cook/heat etc. ?

BTW - India joins USSR/USA in pretending this isn't happening. 

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

There are just too many of us

Completely in context - there are too many of "you/us".

Thanks for wanting to go to the head of the queue ; I'm right behind you 😉.  ....

37 minutes ago, thebartman said:

Completely in context - there are too many of "you/us".

Thanks for wanting to go to the head of the queue ; I'm right behind you 😉.  ....

And that's why we'll never fix the problem. Honest thing is I'll be dead before the real pain starts.

Oh, and you need to fix your grammar above. lol.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

How about the fact that we have many new taxes coming on line, supposedly to justify reducing our carbon footprint (Car tax, Company car tax, Green taxes, fuel duty etc) by 2030. Yet we only produce 1% of the total greenhouse gasses worldwide. Whilst the likes of China, India and the USA all have targets at least 20 years after us and produce 28% (China) of the gases. One would think this is about raising money using green policy as an excuse!

Its been proven that making zero carbon emitting free or cheaper is more effective than putting up prices on higher carbon emitting. So ask yourself this. Why in Spain, Greece or France can I take a bus for 1 euro for any distance, or a train from the north of France to the south at £20 yet here I pay £4.25 to go 3 miles from my house to the City centre on a bus and £82 one way to go from Norwich to Manchester. Thats' twice as much as a car "there and back" and its only one way! Making cars more and more expensive doesn't push people onto trains or buses because they are much more expensive than cars!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Where are you getting your bus and train pricing info from? Last time I looked it was a lot more than £20 from Calais to Nice.

As of right now Paris to Nice e17.11

https://www.thetrainline.com/en/train-times/nice-to-paris?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuPA67WB9AIVwp7tCh0w5QkkEAAYASAAEgJCevD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stop me and buy one!!

Hi Ian, I likened it to my booking for Manchester. Same time frame for booking and even at the more expensive price of e50-80 its 3 times the distance. I don't think it unfair to say how proportionally more expensive Public Transport is here to elsewhere?

Stop me and buy one!!

Quite a pleasure reading the informed postings here. From here in the tarnished jewel we call Metro Vancouver I submit the following. Despite incessant fretful reports on climate concerns construction proceeds all about at a furious pace, much of which being concrete, the production of which is well known to be a major CO2 contributor. Roads are often reduced for the sake of add-on bike lanes rather than be expanded and after 30 minutes drive eastward the major motorway is diminished to a pitiful 2 lanes each way, the way it was when 1st built 60 years ago. We have bugger all in the way of train service, and Greyhound, the private inter-city and inter-provincial bus line, packed it in 2 years ago with another firm stepping up in a very limited way.  It's clear the dominant policy is one of growth, with ever increasing population density, and traffic flows suffer accordingly. Technology may alleviate much grief once most are placed within autonomous cars, permitting more efficient flow of traffic. Not my happy vision of the future but hard to see how it all works otherwise.

On the climate itself, most here will have heard of the "heat dome" we suffered through this summer and it was one for the ages. This was when a mass of very warm air simply parked upon us when the days ( therefore solar load ) were at their longest and nights the shortest, a time of year that is never expected to deliver the warmest weather. It persisted unduly as well, figuring in the deaths of some 700 in the province. As for the messaging we suffer ad nauseum it would serve better to pitch processes for the extraction of carbon from the atmosphere. Enough worry-mongering and menacing over further assaults on quality of life, I say.  

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

We didn't!  We just decided that we wanted more stuff than we needed and accepted that the best way to get it was to look the other way to child labour and accept poor product quality and reliability as the quid pro quo for being able to have cheap electrical and other goods in plenty.  It was sod all to do with a conscious environmental decision and more down to greed and entitlement and the "I want it so I will have it now" view of many in the West.

Let's not blame everything on "environmental choices" shall we. The vast majority of the choices made, by people and politicians are financially motivated and for self gain purposes.

Britain succeeds despite its Polticians. Not because of them.

• Like 1