Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
chris harris looking forward to the emira !!! - Page 2 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

chris harris looking forward to the emira !!!

windymiller

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
18 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Erm, in essence, it is exactly that. 

Reskinned means new body and interior, while everything underneath is exactly the same as the previous car; same parts, same part numbers, they're all interchangeable, etc.  Typically a reskin also includes some tweaks to power and a bit more horsepower.  New means new chassis (even if it's based on the same construction style/techniques as the previous car), new suspension components, etc.  The majority of the parts have to be newly designed (even if it's a redesign of a previous part) and never made before; not interchangeable with the previous model.  Gavan said they redesigned and made pretty much new everything for the Emira, including the body and interior.  Is it a completely new car like nothing they've ever made before?  No, that would be the Evija.  The Emira is the last ICE car they'll ever build, and they drew upon decades of experience to make it the best ICE sports car they've ever made.  It's an evolution of all they've learned with all their previous models, and includes style cues from the Evija, so it's a transition car, from the ICE era to the upcoming electric era.  The fact that the Emira is a new car is not a slight to the Evora; they just took what's great and made it even better.

• Like 2

Does it really doesn’t matter whether it’s an Evora tub, modified Evora tub or all-new tub of near identical dimensions? Unless Lotus can show us increased torsional rigidity numbers or explain where the chassis has been improved and what benefits it brings it’s near irrelevant. Is it stronger in some places, safer, lighter or were the changes focused on ease of entry? We’re still waiting for that information. The few that care are anyway. Most people just like the way it looks and that’s enough for them.

• Gold FFM

If we followed the logic of the Emira being a reskinned Evora, then the Evora in essence is just a reskinned Flintstone's vehicle.

I agree with @Eagle7. Nothing is interchangeable. The only 'parts' that have been carried over are the engine and gearbox.

The current range Rover is just a reskin of the first ever Range Rover. The latest VW Beetle just a reskin of the first ever VW Beetle.

Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

And the new drivers coming on to the scene won't be able to drive a Civic Type R (coming in at #12) because it will be a manual.

They'll more importantly be learning about battery conservation in cars like the 3.6 second, 4,000 kg Hummer. I'm really glad that I am not a young person growing up these days.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I do fear that Mr Harris will say it is a bloated Lotus and one should simply pick up an older Lotus for a more authentic Lotus experience or move to Porsche.

I say fear but not for myself but for the brand. These people have a lot of influence, like it or not.

It will come down to his mentality when he first gets in it. He needs to think of it as a mass appeal Lotus made to take some of the core Lotus values and adding comfort and daily drivability. We will see. He is a tough one.

Others will love it, like Harry.

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Hmm looks and sounds like that guy you bump into down the pub. Don’t think there’s any danger whatsoever of the Lotus brand disappearing. I guess he’s not very clued up on the situation with Lotus today and in the future, so should have probably done some research prior to filming.

• Like 2

I think the way that Geely have highlighted technology as being a key Lotus focus, moving forwards, is in-part to counter any such accusations. They clearly intend to ensure that all future Lotus models are on an even footing in that regard. The Emira appears to have all the mod-cons expected for its price point; I'll be very surprised if the forthcoming electric vehicles don't feature all manner of electronic stability management systems - hopefully, well-tuned by Lotus's engineers.

• Like 1

Doug is giving his opinion as a American and clearly not well read on Lotus current position. Though yes he will have a point regarding dealer support there, only time will tell and I guess that any Lotus enthusiast wherever they reside will be relaxed in the knowledge that they/we will be “Special”👍

• Like 2

After watching the video, I am surprised by the slight negative tone towards his opinion. He slashed the others, even the GT4 RS for being PDK only. He has a point by saying that the Emira is not a whole new car (at least compared to how Lotus is positioning it). The engine and gearbox are well known to all of us and (maybe I will be proven wrong) I guess that it will feel quiet similar to the Evora - for all the right reasons! Why change what is not broken - like somebody said before. But the noise characteristic, the throttle response and the gearshifts won't be night and day different. But believe me - I will be very happily wrong if we stop hearing the rattle and whining coming from the gearbox in low rev / low gear. 😅 I tried to call it character and engaging to justify it in my GT430, but on a "comfy sportscar" like the Emira it won't fit. 

Everything else underneath can happily stay the same as it was on the Evora.

And to give a bit of respect to Chris Harris - he's probably one of the very few enthusiasts that do their car journalist job mostly for the right reasons. Porsche fan - definitely, but we also have to admit that the guys from Stuttgart manage to build really good cars if you look at the whole package.

If somebody hasn't - go check the "collecting cars podcast" series for a good glimpse into his opinions about cars besides the stuff he's now doing for the BBC. At TG they just have to please a much bigger audience. He is a guy who slept on the couch of a friend because he couldn't afford his rent anymore after buying a 911 RS in the late 90s (hope I remember the story correctly)

Or his Testarossa video from the days when he was independent on Youtube, ...blasting through France to get some baguette for breakfast. Legendary!

Here is the thing: While it is important for Lotus as a Brand, how Testers and Motorjournalist rate the car, it is less important for each of us. Except you only buy the car if  e v e r y b o d y  likes it or for the bragging rights.... But then again you should ask yourself if you are a driver or a poser... For my part, I couldn't care less..

I would certainly not base my decision on the opinion of any youtuber, influencer, tester etc.

(Although, there are a few I really like watching: Harry's Garage, Steve Sutcliffe, Henry Catchpole.. )

But in the end, it all comes down to how the car feels to drive, how it makes me feel driving it and owning it. (and do I have enough money to buy it... 😉

That is why I would never buy a car that I have not driven for a long test drive on the road I know. Many times I have done a test drive with other cars and came to a quite different opinion than some testers.. Or you just see some things that would bother you everytime you drive the car etc.. 

Would I have bought the car based on their opinion, I would not be happy now... If that means I have to wait longer for the Emira (or any other car), so be it. 

I'm pretty sure, the Emira will be an amazing car for most people. Will it be for me? We will see.. Do I need the absolution from others? Nope and you neither... 😉

• Like 2
For the few who know the difference