Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
chris harris looking forward to the emira !!! - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

chris harris looking forward to the emira !!!

windymiller

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Be careful what you wish for… he was happy to slate the Evora at every opportunity so it would be highly inconsistent if he was super positive about the Emira. Hopefully his expectations are in check going by his ‘not a new car underneath’ comment. Hope no-one mentions it’s an Evora!

If Lotus have succeeded in making the Emira easier to live with then the main benefits may only be obvious to longer term owners, not car journos thrashing one round the block or showboating for the cameras on track.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No mention of him wanting to test the first Lotus SUV, perhaps if he tries the Emira at Hethel, he can have a go in the 132. (I suppose the 132 is not an exciting car for Top Gear.)

3 hours ago, jimichanga said:

Be careful what you wish for… he was happy to slate the Evora at every opportunity so it would be highly inconsistent if he was super positive about the Emira. Hopefully his expectations are in check going by his ‘not a new car underneath’ comment. Hope no-one mentions it’s an Evora!

If Lotus have succeeded in making the Emira easier to live with then the main benefits may only be obvious to longer term owners, not car journos thrashing one round the block or showboating for the cameras on track.

I'll be interested to get other Juno's comparisons between the EVORA and EMIRA with the drive as The R&T guys were very complimentary about the EVORA, a year to wait, I recon.

• Like 1

Having been very critical of Harris thoughts of the brand over the last few years. For me its great that he is saying some positive things at last. Not long now before the journalist get there chance to tell the world how good Emira is, fingers crossed. His views on any car do matter especially when lotus are hoping to bring new customers from other brands. So who cares? Lotus definitely do.

• Like 2

Alpine sales have not been much helped by Harris or other journalists awarding it 5 stars. Autocar is almost an Alpine sales brochure. Sales are way below Renault expectations. The car is too expensive for the bhp on offer. Sound familiar Evora? 

If Harris tomorrow started slating 911 and confessed he had been wrong about Porsche all these years, it would not make a difference to the sales of 911. He is on a bandwagon that starting rolling in the late 70s (if not before). 

Building sports car is a tough business (ask McLaren, let alone Lotus). Which is why Lotus is moving away from solely doing so.

Their strategy is spot-on in getting influencers and paid promoters to build excitement and coverage for Emira. It will not though guarantee a sales success - the public will decide that, a wider public than those who regularly read car mags or forums/social media. 

I assume that Geely are in for the long haul and accept that Emira may well not be a financial success, though hopefully it is. Vision 80 cannot hinge on one car's success, GM made that mistake in 1989. And even if you do hit gold, as Hethel did with Elise in 1996, the road ahead is still rocky without investment and a stable holistic business plan.

Exciting times but the real danger is if Geely get spooked, not if Emira fails to sell to expectations.

Justin

I rarely read any car reviews or YouTube content unless I have very specific interest - and whilst doing so it reminds why I don't do so more often. 

I bought a Suzuki Swift Sport partly because the journo view was that it was an engaging, cheap-ish hot hatch, though my main priority was the glacial depreciation once 3 years old and it has 5 doors. It replaced a Clio RS200, which was 11 years old. I appreciate the Clio is more expensive new but the Swift is so poor in areas I assumed, from reading journalists views, it would excel. Steering, gear change, engine eagerness and suspension are uninspiring, my 2010 Twingo RS (which I still own) is streets ahead. I would very upset if I had paid £20k new for the Swift but at £8k with a years warranty for a 2017 car that will still be worth £7k in 2023 with 20,000 more miles, it don't matter. I won't though buy another unless £'s have to prioritise class.

I am amazed the journo write-ups for the Swift Sport are so complementary. 

Justin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hedgerley said:

Whilst not overly enthusiastic, Harris has on occasion been blown away by a Lotus. I know it's quite a few years ago (look how much hair he has) but it's worth checking out what he thought about the Exige S back in the day. I suspect and indeed hope we'll see something similar when he drives the Emira.

This was a very interesting and entertaining video to watch.  When you look at the Exige head-on, the Emira looks much more like a modern Exige than it does an Evora.  From the front, the Emira and Evora aren't similar at all, while the Exige is clearly of the same family.  I think it's telling that Matt himself is buying an Exige with his own money.  He also spent a year driving an Emira around under an Evora skin while they were developing it, so it's obvious he's not just another corporate suit in charge of the company.  He's a genuine enthusiast, and it's the Exige that he really likes.  It was his decisions and authority that gave Gavan, Russell and the crew the freedom to create the Emira.  The Emira is not a re-skinned Evora; it may very well be an updated Exige which Chris absolutely loved.  I can't wait to see his review, and have one in my garage so I can drive the thing myself!

he is consistent

this is the article that is meant to have got him in trouble

https://jalopnik.com/how-auto-journalism-fails-when-nationalism-gets-involve-1686723025

the kicker is his opinion that the Evora 400 "Once the goodwill from the UK magazines and websites has subsided, Lotus will be left with a car that is more expensive than a Cayman GT4, has a fraction of the showroom appeal and looks far too similar to the model that's been on sale since 2009. An 'all new supercar?' Come on."

I think history will judge that comment not far from the mark

If he sees the Emira as not new underneath, that may not be a problem, as there seems little criticism of how the 400 + Evoras drove; that lotus have come up with a car that is both cheaper and new looking suggests his words were true.

I cannot see it taking much more than 2 years for total emira sales to exceed total evora sales (a decade's worth)

• Like 2

If that’s your idea of an all-new car then your ambition for Lotus is sorely lacking. 991 and 992 are indistinguishable to 99% of the population.

Classic case of people here only seeing what they want to believe regarding how much Evora is under the Emira. All-new is quite a stretch and certainly not how Chris Harris sees it. Lotus need to convince him otherwise (they should put an Evora and Emira chassis side by side and go through the differences) otherwise this rehashed/reheated/warmed over/reskinned Evora will stick.

• Like 1

Whatever.

you take the last 4 generations of Porsche and the chassis is about as similar as an Emira is to an Evora. 

If the Emira is the same under, then all Mclarens are all the same under, all the last 30 years Porsches are the same. None of those have changed the principle of their chassis in this millenium.

Aluminium chassis is the best way to get rigidity and performance at an acceptable cost. This one has new dimensions, new side pattern, new suspensions, new set-up. If people wanted a carbon tub like on the Evian, then they needed to volunteer 250k.

• Like 2