Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2 Cornwall Visitors - political correctness... - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2 Cornwall Visitors - political correctness...

exeterjeep

'Darkey Lane' in Lifton could be renamed after two visitors complain

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/darkie-lane-lifton-could-renamed-6514658?fbclid=IwAR083ouac6XPFgtWVV3TJSgk1Flf_Q4UHmKR3pf6loW3wP2XLafnKFw65HM

Lifton Parish Council has written to those living on the road to inform them about the complaint and to find out whether residents want to retain the name or change it.

Although the parish council is conducting the consultation, renaming roads is the responsibility of West Devon Borough Council (WDBC) which would then do their own consultation if a desire for change was expressed.

The letter, dated January 7, states: "I have been asked to write to you on behalf of Lifton Parish Council following receipt of a complaint about the street name Darkey Lane made by two visitors to the village.

"The visitors, one of who is of Caribbean heritage, were shocked and extremely upset having been confronted with a name like this.

"Councillors took the decision at a parish council meeting on November 25, 2021, to undertake a public consultation with you in early January 2022, to find out if you would like to keep or change the existing road name."

t would also require each household to pay a fee of £40 to WDBC to change the name. The parish council has offered to pay for replacement road signs.

• Sad 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just think of all the places that have black or white in them..... eg Blackwall tunnel, Whitehall.....

• Gold FFM

They've been trying to do this to street names in Glasgow for a few years, even going so far as activists renaming Buchanan Street to George Floyd Street. I kid you not (please excuse the ad-infested link of the Daily Record). They'll be very busy if they want to completely erase the history of the city.

• Sad 1

Signature not working...

"Councillors took the decision at a parish council meeting on November 25, 2021, to undertake a public consultation with you in early January 2022, to find out if you would like to keep or change the existing road name."

It would also require each household to pay a fee of £40 to WDBC to change the name. The parish council has offered to pay for replacement road signs."

So the the right thing would for the people on that lane to say "no, we are happy with the historic name of the lane. Take a holiday in your own backyard."

Slutshole Lane in Besthorpe Norfolk has no chance then!

(A Slut in oldye Engleese was a Drain.

• Haha 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Not sure what to make about this to be honest, I mean the trend for wokeness / political correctness.

If I've read the posts correctly, Darkey Lane has a name that has nothing to do with race, with slavery, or anything that could be described as motivated/influenced by the colour, background etc of people. Any people.

Yet despite this, two ignorant, ill informed, tourists have taken exception based on their own interpretation of the lanes name and as a result, a local historically named lane in the UK may have to have a name change.

It beggars belief that people are pandering to ignorant, ill informed people in such a way.

The Parish Council, on receipt of the complaint should, in my very humble opinion, have taken the time out to explain to and prove through historical references/documents to the two complainants that the naming of the Lane was nothing to do with people, with race, religion etc. As such, they had incorrectly perceived it to be a racial reference and that now the situation and history had been explained to them they could put their minds at ease and get on with the lives, as no further action would be taken.

We are going down a very slippery slope at the moment of rewriting, or indeed, erasing, major chunks of British history which is not right nor correct.  I fully accept that Britain and her people have done some nasty things in their time, as we have had nasty things done to us, but there is a current "entitled" view from some quarters of society that seem to take offence easily at the slightest of thing and then except the majority to change to accommodate them.

Indeed, if the said tourist from the Caribbean wants to be picky then a quick look at a map of Jamaica is enough to cause outrage and offence with place names like:

Black river (no doubt the colour of the water is dark hence the name)

White House

Negril (the town name is a shortened version of the Spanish word Negrillo which means "Little Black One" FFS! (btw the reference is to the population of black eels there, but if you did not know that........)

White Horses

It's time to stop this nonsense and for the easily offended to realise that not everything they perceive as a sleight is actually one on them, as in this instance of Darkey Lane.

It's also time that musicians that continue, to this day, to use the "N" word in their songs and records are "banned" and ostracised for it. Instead of being celebrated largely by the people who perceive the use of that horrible word as a major insult!  Go figure it out how it can be OK for someone of one race to call another a "N...", but not OK for someone else etc.  The first thing we need to do is to stop this "allowable" discrimination and make it clear that EVERYONE should be treated with dignity etc., not just when it suits!

I'm not a religious person, but I always remember the key phrases from School RE lessons - the most important one for me being "do unto others as yo would expect to be done to you" or something very similar.  This is how i live my life - I treat people how I expect to be treated. If we all did that, then maybe their would not be so much fake morale outrage in this world today.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

You would have thought Haringey Council had more important things to focus on, but yet again, we have someone "offended" in the Council who will "worry it to death" until he gets the answer he wants. It seems that the one thing that doesn't matter is democracy and the thoughts/decision of the people directly affected.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I have some others.

What about Norman? Mandy? Manifold (on your car)? Mandolin? Manicure? Germany?

This next one is gonna leave a mark.

'Le Mans' become 'Le Persons'.

Oh, the world will be so much better for all of these things.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

In 2021 a similar controversy arose over Darkie Lane in Swanage, Dorset - which was originally named for similar reasons in that it is dark and shady. 

Swanage Council recommended that Dorset Council rename it to Dark Lane following a letter of complaint from a family who had visited the area, but the name change was shelved after a consultation with residents.

Reading the original link, it's only the residents of the road that are consulted, yet they were quoting someone in favour, who owns a business and doesn't live on the road in question.

In favour of the road name being changed is Robert Fleming, owner of Lifton Hall Hotel.

Karma if someone objected to the name of his hotel :) 

• Gold FFM

What is also ridiculous is that the whole thing is kicked off by a tourist from another country who may never even come back to that area.

If people on holiday are looking for things like that to moan about, I think they have forgotten the meaning of holiday.

Someone will ask for the sun to be made black soon as it is just too much white. Let's start a petition. Who do we send it to?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

7 minutes ago, Spinney said:

Our Maine Person of Colour cat wasn’t too happy about having his breed name changed when I told him!

Had to look that one up, our cats are just standard moggies...

Yeay, common sense prevails.

• Like 1

The small print.