Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A little bit creaky. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A little bit creaky.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

possibly the anti roll bar bushings as this is the only component that is common to both sides?   You could probably isolate with some WD40 or similar if you do one joint at a time

• Like 1

I'd try some silicone spray on ALL the front end bushings individually.  That way you can help isolate the issue for those who have creaky joints in the future!

The upper ball joints do not have grease fittings, but you can lubricate them by injecting chassis grease into the rubber boots, with a needle fitting on a grease gun. (I do that once a year)

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-Injector-Needle/dp/B0779J6HTX

WD40  might deteriorate rubber bushings after a few years.  If you don't have a silicone spray, try some Armor All.

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

I'd go silicone spray as well. No telling what the petroleum solvents from WD40 would do when trapped in between the bushing and metal over time.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Bloody hell. I thought this might be one of those videos that would have been hard to hear the issue.

Umm, Nope.

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

So, having taken apart the top wishbone of the front suspension to check the shim distribution a couple of days ago (https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/117004-caster-and-camber-shims/) I had retightened those bolts without due consideration of the required torque. The required torque was 35-39 Nm (according to the service manual). Decided to loosen them today and retighten using my torque wrench to the correct value to see if that would help address the creaking.

Torque wrench seems to be broken as I proceeded to over-tighten one of the bolts until it snapped with a God awful popping sound and washer and camber shim plates zoomed off in all directions (luckily not in my eyes).

Lessons for today:

1) RTFM

2) Have a torque wrench that works

3) Maybe don't try any mechanical work on my beloved Esprit that involves anything more than undoing a nut

New wishbone nut, washer and bolt set ordered from PNM (https://www.pnmparts.co.uk/esprit/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99/esprit-s4-s4s-s300-gt3-93-99-c/lotus-esprit-top-ball-joint-fitting-kit-6089b), will be gently fitting the broken one then leaving everything else to the garage when they do the toe, castor and camber adjustments.

Bloody cars.

Beyond that, still don't know the reason for the creaking. Tried oiling the anti-roll bar bushes, to no avail. Maybe it's the upper ball joint as @CarBuffindicated. To be further investigated, hopefully without breaking anything else.

• Gold FFM

Did you also try the ARB-chassis mountings?

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

13 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Did you also try the ARB-chassis mountings?

Right, those should not move...just twist. BUT you said you lubricated them.

Your sound DOES seem to be that of the ARB moving in the bushes.

Edited by CarBuff

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Easy to forget about those when you have a bounce creak.  It definitely sounds like them.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Not necessarily, but it does sound like it's those bushes!  You'd know with a hand on them whilst bouncing.  Might need an assistant though...

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Unfortunately I have no assistant and my arms and eyes aren't long enough :(

Will see what a local garage says. They have a reputation for geo/suspension stuff. Wonder how much it will end up costing me if I just asked them to 'sort the geo and fix the creaking'? :)  At least I've bought what I hope are the correct camber shim plates, but knowing my luck they're probably wrong :( 

The 35-39 Nm value is for the socket headed bolts, the hex headed bolts are 22-25 Nm.

Sorry to poo poo your purchase but those PNM bolts will rust at the merest hint of moisture. In exposed conditions YZP or zinc flake is desirable.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks Derek. Had assumed that parts from PNM would be fit for purpose. On the plus side they did arrive in 24 hours from ordering mind. Only need to use one, will replace with something better down the line. Any comment about the creaking beyond what has been mentioned above?

Not a lot to add about the creaking and pretty much as already said. Disconnecting the upper wishbone arms from the upper ball joint lets you check the upper ball joint and inner bushes very easily. You can also check the lower ball joint too. Checking the lower arm inner bushes is harder because of the anti-roll bar but removing the anti-roll bar to chassis clamps makes it easier and allows the bar bushes to be checked. The chassis clamps are easy to do on a ramp but avoid doing one side at a time because the twist on the bar makes it harder to align the clamps.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

So, having taken apart the top wishbone of the front suspension to check the shim distribution a couple of days ago (https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/117004-caster-and-camber-shims/) I had retightened those bolts without due consideration of the required torque.

Did you retighten the nuts with the car at it's normal ride height, i.e. not with the wishbones fully lowered?

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

No! But I appreciate now the need to do so. Time for me to cut my losses, admit defeat and leave it to the garage. But how can you get access to the nuts with the car on a level?

• Gold FFM
On 31/05/2022 at 13:19, RobinB5 said:

No! But I appreciate now the need to do so. Time for me to cut my losses, admit defeat and leave it to the garage. But how can you get access to the nuts with the car on a level?

That’s the reason there are four of the big figure 8 concrete blocks next to the ramp.

Only here once

It's a good investment to have a box of the various different types of front/rear suspension shims in stock for when it's geo time. It might seem expensive, but if it means you can have the geo done in one go rather than having two bites at the cherry, it will save money in the long run.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.