Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
UK Politics Thread - Page 10 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

UK Politics Thread

Barrykearley

Power. 

They can buy whatever they like, but they can't buy the feeling of being a powerful person in politics whom all their minions look up to and admire. I'd imagine his wealth also lead to his arrogance of misleading parliament then thinking he was inscrutable and could keep his job. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or the certainty of corruption by authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it.

Lord Acton said that 1887. Still just as true today!

I've said it before here. The only thing stopping someone from being a Politician should be wanting to be a Politician.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 2 months later...

This caught my eye (credit: The Spectator magazine).  Who'd have thought such a spectacular benefit would come from, yup, you guessed it, Brexit!  Woo hoo....  Going to look into this for sure as it could save me tens of thousands a year....

I believe I have identified an Actual Brexit Benefit. And it is graced with magnificent garlands of irony.

It comes in the form of the new Digital Nomad Visa, just recently passed into law by the Spanish government. In essence it means remote workers, who make most of their money outside Spain, can now go and live in Spain and get residency – for five years or more – and they will only pay 15 per cent tax. All they need is health insurance, an annual income of €28,000 (£24,500), and proof that they are – wait for it – non EU nationals. This scheme, like similar schemes hoving into view in Portugal, Croatia, Greece, and elsewhere – is not available to EU citizens.

You see what I mean about irony. The first Actual Brexit Benefit, the first tangible bonus of our leaving the EU, is the ability to go and work in lovely sunny parts of the EU, and pay way less tax than any EU citizens.

The consequences are many, and marvellously intriguing. For a start it will surely encourage some fruity conversations in Marbella and Malaga, and Lisbon, Mykonos and Split, when the local Germans, Swedes, and Finns realise they are sitting next to a table of rowdy digital Brits paying half the amount of tax they are, because of Brexit.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

11 hours ago, C8RKH said:

This caught my eye (credit: The Spectator magazine).  Who'd have thought such a spectacular benefit would come from, yup, you guessed it, Brexit!  Woo hoo....  Going to look into this for sure as it could save me tens of thousands a year....

I believe I have identified an Actual Brexit Benefit. And it is graced with magnificent garlands of irony.

It comes in the form of the new Digital Nomad Visa, just recently passed into law by the Spanish government. In essence it means remote workers, who make most of their money outside Spain, can now go and live in Spain and get residency – for five years or more – and they will only pay 15 per cent tax. All they need is health insurance, an annual income of €28,000 (£24,500), and proof that they are – wait for it – non EU nationals. This scheme, like similar schemes hoving into view in Portugal, Croatia, Greece, and elsewhere – is not available to EU citizens.

You see what I mean about irony. The first Actual Brexit Benefit, the first tangible bonus of our leaving the EU, is the ability to go and work in lovely sunny parts of the EU, and pay way less tax than any EU citizens.

The consequences are many, and marvellously intriguing. For a start it will surely encourage some fruity conversations in Marbella and Malaga, and Lisbon, Mykonos and Split, when the local Germans, Swedes, and Finns realise they are sitting next to a table of rowdy digital Brits paying half the amount of tax they are, because of Brexit.

When are you going?

Margate Exotics.

Not soon enough for you I suspect.

The company I work for has an office in Porto, I'm asking the question.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I am sure you can access TLF from anywhere in Europe. So I'll still be able to give you a cuddle on here.

• Haha 1

The small print.

7 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I am sure you can access TLF from anywhere in Europe. So I'll still be able to give you a cuddle on here.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Porto is a nice place, though. I've stayed there before, although the local driving standards/practices left a bit to be desired.

Margate Exotics.

Here's a full list! 

Portugal
Portugal launched its digital nomad visa at the end of 2022. Non-EU remote workers who wish to apply for this visa will have to earn at least four times Portuguese minimum wage, which amounts to around €2,836 per month.

Successful applicants will be able to live and work in Portugal for up to one year, with the option to then apply for residency and stay on a longer basis if they wish.

In the past few years, Portugal has made huge investments in building a high-speed internet infrastructure and has encouraged international businesses to set up shop in the country. Portugal is known for its warm climate and relaxed lifestyle, with plenty of outside activities and sophisticated culture to enjoy.

Croatia
Croatia introduced its digital nomad visa in early 2021, allowing individuals who work for a foreign employer to live and work from the country. Non-EU citizens who earn at least €2,300 are able to apply for the residence permit, or those who have at least €27,000 in their bank.

Applicants will not be able to work for a Croatian employer – they will only be able to work for a business based overseas. It costs around €30-€60 to for the application, plus around €45 in administration fees.

Successful applicants can live and work from Croatia for six months to a year and will have to leave the country for at least 90 days after this period before applying for a new visa.

Read our Croatia Digital Nomad Visa Guide for more information.

Czech Republic
The Czech Republic’s digital nomad visa, known locally as the zivno visa, is for non-EU remote workers who are freelance or run their own business. It requires the applicant to have a trade licence connected to a specific industry.

Successful applicants can live and work in the Czech Republic for up to one year. It costs around €200 to apply for the visa and applicants must have at least €5,000 in their bank account.

Although the application process for the Czech digital nomad visa is slightly more complex than some other European countries, the Czech Republic is favoured for its beautiful architecture, vibrant nightlife, and low cost of living.

Greece
Greece launched its digital nomad visa in 2021. It allows non-EU remote workers to live and work in the country for up to one year, with the option to apply for a longer residency after this period or to extend the digital nomad visa up to three years in total. Successful applicants are also able to bring along immediate family members, for an additional fee.

Applicants for the Greek digital nomad visa are not permitted to work for Greek companies – they must only work for businesses based overseas. It costs around €75 to apply for the visa and applicants must be able to show they earn at least €3,500 per month.

Iceland
Iceland’s digital nomad visa requires the applicant to be a non-EU citizen and not work for an Icelandic company. The visa allows successful applicants to stay in the country for six months, as long as they come from a country that has a visa-free agreement with Iceland.

Applicants must demonstrate that they earn at least €7,000 per month, or €9,000 if they want to bring their spouse with them. The visa costs around €86 to apply.

Iceland has stunning landscapes but also has a high cost of living, hence the high earning amount required. Whilst successful applicants are living and working in Iceland, they will not be considered tax residents.

Norway
Norway’s digital nomad visa, also known as an independent contractor visa, allows successful applicants to live and work in Norway for up to two years. Applicants must be able to prove they are self-employed with an established business outside of Norway. They must also prove they earn at least €36,870 per year.

Applicants must also show they have a contract with at least one Norwegian client and pay at least minimum wage to one skilled worker.

Norway also offers the Svalbard Digital Nomad Visa. This allows applicants to live and work on Svalbard, an island close to the North Pole. Due to the Government’s interest in boosting the economy of Svalbard and maintaining a community there, the Svalbard Digital Nomad Visa is lifelong.

Hungary
The Hungary digital nomad visa, also known as the White card, was launched at the end of 2021. It allows successful applicants to live and work in Hungary for up to one year, and there is then an option to extend the visa for up to one year again.

To be eligible, applicants must be non-EU citizens employed by a business based outside of Hungary. Individuals must show they earn at least €2,000 per month. The visa costs around €110 to apply.

Budapest, Hungary’s capital city, is known for having some of the fastest internet speeds in Europe, as well as offering residents plenty to see and do, including thermal spas and gorgeous architecture.

Malta
The Malta digital nomad visa, also known as the Nomad Residence Permit, was introduced in 2021. It allows non-EU remote workers who are employed by a foreign business to live in and work from Malta up to one year. There is an option to extend the visa after this period.

Applicants must be able to show they earn at least €2,700 per month. The visa costs around €300 to apply for.

Malta is celebrated for its warm climate and low cost of living. It also boasts high internet speeds and 5G network, so it’s perfect for digital nomads working remotely.

Italy
Italy’s digital nomad visa will be launched in early 2023. It will be aimed at “highly skilled” individuals, including those who have a university degree or similar qualification, or someone who has been working in their field for a certain period of time.

Whilst the specific details are still being finalised, it’s expected that the digital nomad visa for Italy will be for non-EU remote workers who are employed by a business based overseas.

Italy also has a self-employment visa which allows successful applicants to live and work in Italy for up to one year. Applicants for this visa must be able to show they earn at least €8,500 per year.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

You can also add in

Bahamas (Tax free), Barbados, Aruba, Antigua, Curcao, St Lucia & Granada!

Added to the European one you can add in Cyprus but its called something else and is limited in numbers.

I assume these countries are making these magnamous offers because you will be liable to pay income tax in those countries if you are there for more than a few months ?

Most companies don't like their employees doing this because it creates tax liabilities that they may be ultimately responsible for !

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

1 hour ago, Bling said:

I assume these countries are making these magnamous offers because you will be liable to pay income tax in those countries if you are there for more than a few months ?

Most companies don't like their employees doing this because it creates tax liabilities that they may be ultimately responsible for !

Funnily enough many make special rates for Nomad Visa's. For example, Spain offers 15% Tax in total. No NI etc. But you MUST have Private healthcare insurance (With the saving from 40% PAYE and 11% NI I reckon that would do very nicely!

That would work if you are self employed but too much trouble for your employer if you work for a larger comoany.

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What with the problems with areated concrete on top of everything else and the likelihood of a labour government how on earth is Starmer going to fund everything now he has promised no increase in income tax for the working man(isn't that most of us) and his deputy promising no increase in higher rate tax. 

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 2 months later...