Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Any one swapped an Evora for an Elise? - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Any one swapped an Evora for an Elise?

electro_boy

Hi All,

I’m thinking of swapping my S1 NA Evora for an S3 Elise.  Wondering if anyone has done the same and if they have any feedback? 

I got the Evora 5 years ago as I wanted a happy balance of daily driver usability but also something engaging and fun to drive. 

I’m now using the Evora less and less as a everyday car and more of occasional fun drive car or the odd track day and was thinking the Elise starts to make more sense.

I got to try an S3 Elise a few years ago at the Lotus Driving Academy and loved the even more engaging drive and even lower mass compared to the Evora. 

But that was purely track driving.  I’ve never driven a Elise on the road.

Any thoughts/comments? Am I going to miss that lovely V6 howl and power or the sublime road manners of an S1 NA Evora on a long drive eg from London to North Wales? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I haven’t, but my take on it is twofold:

1. Elise would be like turning everything up to 11. That isn’t what I want.

2. Usually you have to do some boring driving on normal roads (perhaps in traffic) to get to the good driving roads - in that sense, the Evora is a peerless all rounder.

Plus, I now set a minimum of six for cylinder count, don’t want to go back to the sound of a four banger 😅

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Hi All,

I’m thinking of swapping my S1 NA Evora for an S3 Elise.  Wondering if anyone has done the same and if they have any feedback? 

I got the Evora 5 years ago as I wanted a happy balance of daily driver usability but also something engaging and fun to drive. 

I’m now using the Evora less and less as a everyday car and more of occasional fun drive car or the odd track day and was thinking the Elise starts to make more sense.

I got to try an S3 Elise a few years ago at the Lotus Driving Academy and loved the even more engaging drive and even lower mass compared to the Evora. 

But that was purely track driving.  I’ve never driven a Elise on the road.

Any thoughts/comments? Am I going to miss that lovely V6 howl and power or the sublime road manners of an S1 NA Evora on a long drive eg from London to North Wales? 

This.

I have an i4FE Emira on order, but to be honest my faith is a little rattled.  I'm sure they'll get their shit together, but I am starting to have wandering thoughts.  It's probably just a moment in time, but I was having this exact same conversation with the OH yesterday.

The Evora is my daily.  I love it, genuinely.  My miles have dwindled to almost zero these days and I am having very similar thoughts.  The Exige is a tempting prospect @hamza, but I've wanted an Elise since launch and this might be the ideal time to scratch that itch - even if prices have gone a bit doo-lally.  Plus, having owned two V6s I feel a little low-mass four banger would be a refreshing change (and all my schoolboy posters were of Lotus 4-pots).

Like I say, probably just idle thoughts - first world problems and all that.

Genuinely interested in people's thoughts, too.

I drive both Evora NA and Elise S1 and a S3 Elise that I borrow occasionally. I also owned an Exige V6 for 9 months. 

I adored the Exige V6 and would have another in a shot given the chance. You should consider the Exige Roadster - very rare, no rear wing or front splitter, I call it the Elise V6. Perhaps the perfect compromise between Evora and Elise.

If supple suspension is your thing (it is mine), I'd avoid CUP Elise or Exige. 

Don't worry about 4 cylinders, you can get them sounding fab. S3 Elise is a bit dull sounding as standard, needs a sport exhaust.

Justin

• Like 2

I also have both. They're 2 very different cars. I can't choose between them. 

Not much out there feels like an Elise/Exige until you go to more extremes like a Caterham or X-Bow, etc

The Evora is the pinnacle of road car for me. Evora I'd be happy driving everywhere. Elise only in certain circumstances, in the every day mundane it's quite miserable.

I do wonder if V6 Exige is the best of both in the one package.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments and suggests please keep them coming in.  

Hmm as I feared its not a straight cut call on one car or the other.   They are both great in different ways.    I think test drive is the way forward.  I'll get in touch with some dealers and see what they have for me to try out.

I had previously discounted an Exige V6 as I was after the lighter weight of the Elise.  I just love that low mass feeling it had around the Hethel test track it also felt more friendlier and easier for a novice like me to extract its performance.   The Exige V6 was certainly much faster round Hethel but I could feel the extra weight and had to be on top of the car much more.

If there is a suitable Exige at a dealer I might ask to try that out just to double check.

^^ nice summary, @Giveitfish :)

I have seen a youtube review where the Evora was "a GT in Lotus terms only, for any other brand it would be the most hardcore sports / track car they sell". I thought that sounds pretty fair.

Thanks @r3nault

The Evora changed a lot in its life, so it depends which one!

It started very much as a comfortable sporty GT in 2009 in NA and long-ratio gearbox form and then got progressively stiffer, faster and louder as time went on.

By the time the 400 came along any attempt at subtly was thrown out the window. Saying that, I’ve driven a Sport 410 and it still rode pretty well and was comfortable despite being very shouty.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have been thinking of doing the complete opposite and swapping my 2020 Elise Sport 220 for an Evora GT410 sport because I have some big and interesting road trips coming up next year. The Elise is painfully noisy on long motorway journeys, horrible in the wet but sublime on the right day.

IMHO the Elise Sport 220 is the sweet spot on a B road and I fear I would miss it if I chopped it in for a 401 GT Sport but for long A road/ Motorway stuff on a dark, wet day you'd suffer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a tricky issue, horses for courses and the reason many of us with multiple cars.  I know someone with a Hilman Imp for example and a smart.  The Imp I get, I don't relate to the smart at all.  But then I've an s1 111s elise.  

I have not been in either S3 OR Evora  (though I did once consider moving to it from the s1 (fairly common move, but sometimes people go back again)).  

I would say, life is short, have some fun trying out an s3, you do sound like you've 'done' the evora.

Hi @electro_boy - speak to @CocoPops as he had an Evora 400 Hethel edition and now has an Elise 250 Cup. So he has done the move you're talking about.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

As Andy points out, I’ve gone from Evora to Evora 400 to Elise Sport 220 to Elise Cup 250 Final Edition.

I miss the v6 for sure. The Evora was 2+2 which suited life at the time.

On most tracks I’d take any kind of Elise… except Spa and similar where the long track needs the power of an Evora.

running costs for the Elise are half that of the Evora, tyres, pads, fuel etc. unsurprising when the Evora is almost 2x the weight of an Elise… don’t get me wrong, the Evora hides it’s weight well but it can’t hide it in tyre or brake wear.

I swapped the 400 for sport 220, to free up some money but stay in the lotus community due to a dying wife… best thing I did as the community has been the one constant through widowhood and now a new marriage.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

50% heavier, not 100% heavier.... :)  But that will still make a big difference.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I've had a couple of Evoras - S and a 410. I sold the 410 for a standard Elise S1. For me the Elise is way more fun but very much a weekend car. The Evora is a GT and perfect for road trips and more summer time daily use. I've had faster Elise before the Evora's but don't feel the need for more speed in the Elise - it doesn't add anything to the enjoyment for me (might be different if you are doing track days).

I do have a Porsche GT4 as well which covers the GT aspect (and is a cracking car).

Personally I find the Exige V6 worst of both worlds rather than best - not as engaging as an Elise and not as GT/practical as an Evora.