Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit turbo startup issues - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit turbo startup issues

kwandokun

5 minutes ago, kwandokun said:

Ah that's the spade terminal from the thick red 12V.

That will be for the ballast coil then, not used on the Turbo Esprit.

5 minutes ago, kwandokun said:

I couldn't see the spade from the red/white wire. Hard to see anything down there actually. Will give it another look. 

Have thick 400amp rated jump cables which should do the trick.

You might struggle to get jump cables in there, best to use a piece of wire with a suitable female connector. The solenoid is not that big, so the white/red should be close to where you're looking. I have a '86 in the Workshop to have a look where it should be hiding, but wont get there 'till Tuesday.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 16/10/2022 at 18:08, Escape said:

That will be for the ballast coil then, not used on the Turbo Esprit.

You might struggle to get jump cables in there, best to use a piece of wire with a suitable female connector. The solenoid is not that big, so the white/red should be close to where you're looking. I have a '86 in the Workshop to have a look where it should be hiding, but wont get there 'till Tuesday.

Got a cable to the starter and touched to battery. 

Clicking sound just like when I turn the key. 

Does that mean bad starter?

Vidro attached with sound. 

• Gold FFM

Probably.  Could also be poor starter cable, poor engine earth or crap battery.  But my money was on the starter from day 1.  Removal is really easy.  Why not whip it out and get it checked by an autoelectrician?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Probably.  Could also be poor starter cable, poor engine earth or crap battery.  But my money was on the starter from day 1.  Removal is really easy.  Why not whip it out and get it checked by an autoelectrician?

New battery so can't be that. 

And since I ran a thick gauge wire directly from starter to battery would indicate not the wire either. 

Could be earth strap maybe though I did check that last time and cleaned it up. Maybe I should replace with new bits.

Has anyone replaced their starters with the high torque ones they sell at SJ and PNM?

• Gold FFM

As far as I can see, you've attached to the solenoid, but not the starter itself yet.  I may be teaching granny to suck eggs, but the thick cable from battery positive runs to the starter, and the solenoid is the switch that breaks this cable.  So it's conceivable that the solenoid will click but the main cable won't be up to the job.

Anyhow, it's common sense at this point to remove the starter (just a few minutes) and get it checked by a professional.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

3 hours ago, Sparky said:

Me too.

Do as the expert suggests 😉

PS that's Sparky, not me !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwandokun said:

Has anyone replaced their starters with the high torque ones they sell at SJ and PNM?

Yes had the SJ one on for about a decade...

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

2 hours ago, kwandokun said:

Yes. They are good and they are much smaller and way less heavy. Good upgrade with added lightness. 

• Like 1

Ad initium

Ok so got underneath the car to check the main ground wire.

Are there any others to engine other than this one and one from each tank?

Screenshot_20221024-214045_Photos.thumb.jpg.8c25568cdb9ac995d6bd4240794f1bc6.jpg

Starter motor is looking pretty rough and rusty. It's the original from looks of things. I undid the bottom bolt from the bottom. Had a difficult time getting the top one then ran out of light. Will try again tomorrow.

Screenshot_20221024-214059_Photos.thumb.jpg.a438dd1dd745b642fb10caf093644044.jpg