Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Looking for a new/used gearbox or internals .. or someone interested in a project - 2011 S - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Looking for a new/used gearbox or internals .. or someone interested in a project - 2011 S

Another person to add to the broken gear box club ☹️

I was having a lovely day at Bedford Autodrome on a track day, really gelling with the car and improving my skills and getting faster…. 

Then half way round a lap I went to select 4th gear and released the clutch, felt something snap and then got no drive, I lost gears 4,5 & 6, the others 1,2&3 are working fine.  I limped back to the pits in 3rd and left the car there and got the train home.

I have an 2010 NA Evora with CR box, so I guess that one of the “dodgy” ones. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yep. Early CR box has issues. Mine lasted 68,000 miles. 

Steve Williams would be my recommendation for the repairs. Obvs do the clutch at the same time. 

Bell and Colvill did mine in 2020. They recommended a 400 clutch and flywheel. All has worked well but I would like to have had a lighter clutch pedal feel, as it's as heavy as before. I'm not convinced how much expertise B&C have in this regard so I'd seek opinion from Steve Williams and a few others like Hangar111. 

Good luck. I didn't see change from £6k. I didn't do gears 1,2,3, left as is. 

Justin 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Another person to add to the broken gear box club ☹️

I was having a lovely day at Bedford Autodrome on a track day, really gelling with the car and improving my skills and getting faster…. 

Then half way round a lap I went to select 4th gear and released the clutch, felt something snap and then got no drive, I lost gears 4,5 & 6, the others 1,2&3 are working fine.  I limped back to the pits in 3rd and left the car there and got the train home.

I have an 2010 NA Evora with CR box, so I guess that one of the “dodgy” ones. 

So sorry to hear this - you must be absolutely gutted.

Gathering interest on this topic as well. I know I have an early CR (double digit GB number on the casing) with the original clutch still at 100k km / 60k miles.

Both Komotec and Jubu have seem to got out of touch with reality, both in terms of labour rates and time to appointment. 

Staring to consider driving the car to the UK to get it done at some point, hopefully before full failure. Any info from anyone who did it recently is very welcome and appreciated 🙏

Had this issue also, i think the milage somwhere around 70.000

Replaced the box with a standard avensis one, not CR

it is not that bad, and i think better mpg also but never bothered too much.

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2023 at 08:44, cor said:

Replaced the box with a standard avensis one, not CR

Is there much modification needed to do that? I read the casing is worked on by Lotus.

Unfortunately, worst has come to realization, and my 6th gear blew up a few days ago on the highway. I was about half throttle at around 200kph, then a loud BANG and a very loud sound of screetch and grinding like you would try to shift without clutch. Luckily I was still able to slowly move (even though the sound remains even in neutral). Now I have to decide how to continue with the car - go all in, spend about 3k in parts for CR box rebuild (plus 3k of labour anyways), or just get avensis box and save about half.

2 hours ago, Seb said:

Is there much modification needed to do that? I read the casing is worked on by Lotus.

not that much of a problem, a schunk of the box casing has to be cut away to make room for the starter motor.

Have used an angle grinder and a pneumatic hand tool for that. The gear box cost me € 350,-..

Replaced it myself.

• Like 1