Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2023 and new beginnings….. what next. - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2023 and new beginnings….. what next.

• Gold FFM

Yesterday I finally managed to complete the tank install - 17 litres of petrol put in them.

IMG_3242.jpeg.713a9a53130bf368ecb03c4e0db9508e.jpegIMG_3241.jpeg.f8d58a386490ec5ddff60459fea9e263.jpeg

the carpet set arrived from @Steve V8 and I couldn’t resist placing them in the car to see how and where they fit. Even chucked in loose - wow what a huge difference it makes to the cars look. Off to buy glue today.

IMG_3239.jpeg.ec8ce386a3ad5b0adbf0d03520fe9ed2.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Am really looking forward to seeing this back on the road.

Back in the day used to think ... meh, but now - they are part of the Esprit history and need to be kept and used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

More pipes stripped off yesterday. The one new ally pipe from SJ is wrong as it has a 30mm tail off to the stat housing and the one on my car is 22mm apparently that’s an upgrade that lotus did in a tech bulletin.

all of the ally is a mess - and it’s all being replaced. I’m stunned just how much vile horribleness is in these pipes. Remote thermostat cleaned and tested.IMG_3291.jpeg.a23ce928fdce97eb02ca73ae6c2bddfb.jpegIMG_3289.jpeg.7f574aa4a124daabbb2b1522ce1999e5.jpegIMG_3290.jpeg.49715f295d116aa7473560ebbefb7ae8.jpeg

Only here once

That gunk would clearly be a disaster in waiting - Be really interesting to understand the cause - such as a mixture of incompatible coolants or maybe some 'radweld' type stuff or something else...   

• Gold FFM

It’s sweet tasting @910Esprit - so almost certainly coolant that has solidified after nearly 30 years of being laid up and drained down.

heater matrix flushed today and connected back up to the through chassis pipes. Another two couplers made from the remaining tube pulled out of the chassis and that took about 8 attempts to find pieces not pitted internally or externally. Literally every single pipe is being replaced or removed, cleaned and refitted.

I flushed the radiator - but it was apparent that it’s leaking and rotted out somewhere. Only the foam is damp - it’s not pouring out - but that’s a job to finish this weekend. The oil cooler pipes came undone beautifully which stunned me.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

So onto the rad pack dropping this morning.

IMG_3306.jpeg.55d2fe31de1dfa587319c8af4b504b64.jpeg

some interesting spares found lurking in here.

IMG_3307.jpeg.ce748a336cd1ae5b022b7d080a035182.jpeg

ahh looks like I will indeed be deleting the aircon 😂

IMG_3310.jpeg.83b9324832cb855585e0e3ab8d15a202.jpeg

rad pack on floor and stripped down

IMG_3308.jpeg.65b42ab707b7ba4012ab8bd6b760e54b.jpegIMG_3311.jpeg.2ab8b919c29255f4530e408265a1c9fe.jpeg

fans will be replaced with aftermarket units - but these seem ok. Radiator will be dropped for recore next week. 

Only here once

Glad to see it turned out so well and another part of Eleanor will live on. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

It is going to be epic.

Hope you take a video of the first startup.

• Like 1

Think its a wise move going with the later turbo.   The external wastegate runs much closer to the manifold than is recommended by the manufacturer on the G version

NB - Did get your water pipes from SJ?   I've just got round to fitting the large one with the temperature sender.   The old sender is 1/8NPT, but the replacement pipe seems to be drilled for a G1/8 BSP sender, which seems a bit odd...   

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Yes @910Esprit I got them from SJ. Didn’t notice a thread difference but maybe didn’t look tbh. I did whack on some thread tape though.

The reason for the swap was a multitude of reasons. Alunox didn’t have the earlier manifold off the shelf - as it happens it took me months to get round to it so that wouldn’t have mattered. The old manifold was cracked anyway and the turbo was shot so that needed rebuild. It was simple economics and the later setup was simpler, cheaper and just a better setup.  Just need to figure out where to cut in the water cooling pipes now.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Gearbox oil swapped yesterday. Some fettling on the turbo and inlet to get stuff lined up nicely. Rear cross member refitted along with the extra braces that are unique to the St Tropez .

stuck a battery on the old girl - I get ignition lights and the electrics work - but no fuel pump running and no starter engagement. I gave up at that point for fear of a Basil Fawlty moment. I’ll have a brew and go and take another look today.

• Like 1

Only here once

Are you sure all the grounds on and around the engine are properly connected?

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Yeah - done that one chap - I’ll get busy on it shortly. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard the fuel pump run when I was playing with the electrical stuff before the engine went back in and I popped the cut off switch.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

So - fuel cut off switch needed cleaning. That sorted the fuel pump out.

the Ignition switch is something else IMG_3643.jpeg.03640c0d31e655e678ae0e40eeaa6b93.jpeg

with some fettling that now works.

getting the fuel pressure sorted seems an issue though - the regulator does chuff all and the pump runs at what looks like over 20psi on the gauge I have - it’s flooded the engine terrible and won’t adjust down.

abandon ship for today until I can get a second pair of eyes on this - oh and to allow the fuel that’s now everywhere to evaporate 

• Confused 1

Only here once