Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora cruise control - do you use it? (split from Evora Market Watch) - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora cruise control - do you use it? (split from Evora Market Watch)

Cdm2018

Seldom use my cruise control even when I drove up to Scotland it wasn’t that useful to be fair given traffic on motorway 

I can’t remember last time I used cruise control 

otherwise 25k on a car is certain buy won’t be long on market 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I use it all the time when I HAVE to use dual carriageways and motorways. It's mind numbingly boring driving and don't see the point in risking the points... We also have a 20+ mile average speed camera area close by so it helps with that.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I also use my cruise control on motorways, especially in average speed areas…it’s too easy to creep up to points  earning speeds 

10 hours ago, Jonathan Ashcroft said:

Don't think the evora one works under 30?

It does, but it does not work when the car is in 1st or 2nd gear. 

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Aaaahhh, that explains it as I'm usually in 2nd gear as I roar through. 

What a daft rule though. It hasn't saved lives, is more polluting and gets car drivers, cyclists etc... frustrated. The Polis can't, or won't, enforce it so everyone still drives at 30 (except very old men and women who insist on going at 17 mph 🥱)

Anyway, I find cruise control excellent on long journeys down the M1 and M6.

• Like 1

Same here, only use it on motorways in the all too common average speed zones. My Merc daily has what I consider to be a far more useful speed limiter which means I can just set it for the average speed setting (+ 2 or 3 mph) and be safe in the knowledge I won’t accidentally go over the limit. 

Trouble with passive cruise control, like the Evora has, is you keep needing to reset every time you touch the brakes. 

• Like 1

My company Toyota has this radar controlled cruise speed and it’s annoying as when some fool dives into the space the car put the brakes on so rendering it useless as there’s too many idiots on road who seem to think they can slot in a small space at 80 mph as the next idiot is doing 90 ! 

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

There's a resume button 👍

And the cancel button - so you don’t need to touch the brakes - just press the on off button once and just cover the brakes if you need to.

I’m a big user of cruise control.  I find it makes a huge difference to fatigue/boredom on a long journey. 

• Gold FFM

You lot are just showing off that yours actually works, :rolleyes: .

I've long since given up on mine. Despite several replacement pedal switches, which were deemed to be the problem, it has never worked properly - go over the tiniest ripple in the road surface and it kicks off which can be a tad disconcerting for anybody following 'in convoy' so I just don't risk using it any more, :( .

• Gold FFM

Apparently the brake light connectors can also trip your cruise control to off. You'll never know they are a problem because they only disconnect for a brief moment when you hit a bump.

I use cruise control all the time on long trips. I also agree that the speed limiter is much better than cruise control in variable limit areas. My Jag had it. Also fun to put your foot down with the speed limiter engaged and then disengage it (for extra sad points mutter 'make it so' at the same time).

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2023 at 19:46, Bibs said:

There's a resume button 👍

Well yes that’s what I meant by reset. Pressing the cancel button has exactly the same effect as touching the brake, which you often need to do anyway if the car in front decides to slow. 

That is where active cruise control comes into its own since you can set the speed you want to do but if the car in front slows, then your car follows suit. Then if that car speeds up, your car does the same up to your preset speed. 

Active cruise is by far the better option if available. 

I detest active cruise control to the point where I would wrench it out of the soul of the car if I could.

I hate using it and on the cars I have had that have it I have turned it off.

Why?  Well as you are driving along and start to approach another car, especially on the motorway you can indicate to overtake and if you miss time, the bloody active cruise starts to slow you down just as you want to speed up. I can see where it may be of use in heavy / city traffic where you are crawling along, but otherwise, no.

Also see it all the time - middle lane hogger pootling along in the middle lane, they get right up to the car in front (usually another middle lane hogger) then their car slows down and we have a convoy of middle lane hoggers but the drivers are either too stupid or asleep to actually intervene. God awful development that makes many drivers even more brain dead than they were before.

Basically, active cruise control, lane assist etc is all making drivers become more and more complacent and less focused on, well, actually driving and what is going on around them. Next step will be active sleep control where the driver is induced into a coma and awoken 5 minutes before journey end arrival. I am convinced this is the plan and will lead to full autonomous. I hope I am dead by the time that happens.

However, each to their own. This is the way.

• Like 2

The small print.

14 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

active cruise control

talking to a guy at the dealer - who has this on his company car, and indeed others on a forum I look at each day, they all think it can be a right pain. Turns the road into a  procession - a bit like F1 is sometimes.  May be they need a DRS/boost system.

I only occasionally us cruise anyway. My Evora does eventually engage - but by then its not worth it. Too much tech getting the cars these days.

• Like 2

I've got a VX220, just about the same thing though it was designed (and probably made from) Lego bricks.

It has ABS but like everyone else I fitted a switch to turn it off as it is crap with a capital C - an old, basic, 2 channel system.

The small print.

I too use CC on the motorway to avoid speeds creeping up. It drives me nuts when I do this and somebody crawls past me, then slows a bit.... so I pass them a few miles later..... then they speed up a bit and they pass me a few miles later..... USE YOUR CRUISE!

It is rubbish compared to the active cruise on Mrs Mik's E-Tron though, where you set the speed and the distance you are comfortable with and off you go. In nose-to-tail stop-start traffic you can leave it set to 70mph and it'll pull up cleanly behind the car in front.... start moving again after they do.... and come to a stop when they do. It copes perfectly whether people stop slowly or suddenly - it's magic to reduce the pain/stress of such a boring and unenjoyable task. 😎

• Gold FFM

Cruise control is so much better when everyone has it on. even if it's at different speeds, VERY occasionally you get a rare group of folks who are basically all using it and all doing a good job of lane discipline and you can see the light. Those with cruise set faster overtake, those with it slower stay to the left so on so forth.

But usually you have to battle away with someone who isn't using it and speeding up then slowing down, someone in the middle lane who just won't move. Someone who speeds up just as you are overtaking them leaving you hanging in the outside lane to either boot it past them or brake and slot back in behind at which point they will probably slow down again...

Theoretically, unlike @C8RKH I very much support automation in the car because the amount of plonkers on the roads means that an automatic car would eliminate them from the equation and you could drive manually safely around all the predictable autonomous machines. However, I'm also painfully aware that self driving is a complex problem and is not going to be solved any time soon, we'll all almost certainly be dead by then.

@TdM the plonkers will be replaced with AI and connected systems and I think that machine run AND people run cars on the same road is going to be carnage.

I'm not anti-tec but I do not automatically believe that all Tech is good tech, let alone a good idea.

• Like 1

The small print.