Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rebuilding 912 resources needed - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rebuilding 912 resources needed

gusexige

HC 912, actually in an Excel, but this is the busier forum. Need online threads/websites/resources 

Any resources with details and tips on engine building and assembly are much appreciated

Appears pistons and liners are good, valves and guides need to be done. 

Late crossdrilled crank HC engine. 

Edited by gusexige

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Don't forget to check the liner nip is within spec before you put the head back on.

Cheers,

John W

5 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know.  I'm in the process of building two 2.5 litre 912s at the moment (one supercharged).

Pete

Well, I am looking for the answers to questions I don't know to ask....

Things that are not in the factory shop manual. 

Initial disassembly and inspection thus far shows it will need guides and new valves[cause of low compression in #3 was burnt ex valve]

Will renew bearings

Appears never have been apart, although rear seal housing M6 button heads were wildly overtorqued. Two of  them I had to drill the heads off, after which they twirled out with fingers, so no corrosion or loctite. 

Welcome. You'll be wise to make time exploring these threads as there's a wealth of info to be had. Use the Search function.

Cheers

Are you going to rebuild the engine to factory spec or take the opportunity to increase it's performance? 

MBP to block sealant is Permatex A136 - same is used for the cam housings to head and the sump to MBP (oil splash shield in between).  Check your engine number to see if you need to modify main bearing bore number 5 - it's in the Service Notes.  Loctite 572 for the cylinder liners in the block.

The head work is pretty standard if you're staying with factory spec.

Measure the oil pump really carefully - make sure it's within tolerance.  New gear sets are readily available (but some are better than others!)

A lot of people don't put back the oil spray shield at the end of the crank.

Put a restrictor in the oil feed to the head/cams (in top of block or underside of head)  Lotusbits sells a suitable piece.

I'll think of more stuff later! 🙄

Pete

My engine is late enough  not to need the mod. 

I am building it back stock, but am never averse to cheap horsepower tricks. 

I have been on the internet since well  before there was a Google. 

'use the search function' while I am sure is well intentioned, serves no purpose. 

There are 2807 results for engine rebuild on the search function, and most of them lack all details. 

On 30/04/2023 at 17:52, Bibs said:

There are over 300k Esprit tech posts accumulated since 2004 so pretty much any questions are answered somewhere. Have a look in the Projects section too. 👍

This would be exactly my point. A primitive search function which does not really know what I am looking for, or a human who can post ' Hey userxxx had a really good writeup'

Yeah, I'm an hour in 'searching the threads' and have found little  interesting

Thanks for the help

Edited by gusexige

• Gold FFM

My engine builder also replaced the button headed main seal bolts with normal ones - as he said they are always threaded / damaged -