Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clutch slave cylinder rod - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Clutch slave cylinder rod

What is the length of the slave cylinder rod? I think someone in the past has fitted a different rod and cylinder to mine. The rod measures 125mm and the cylinder looks like the image of a series 3 Landover. Thank you 

PXL_20230523_193413393.jpg

PXL_20230523_143557807.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

See here for my issues with the same slave rod:

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/117475-new-clutch-definitely-required/?do=findComment&comment=988960

I cut mine down to 100mm which should be the standard length using the Renault gearbox, using the 125mm rod was preloading the clutch springs causing slippage resulting in advanced wear on the flywheel and clutch pad I believe.

Edited by Fast28

Just to add, the Land Rover slave is identical to the one Lotus used, the only difference being the thread, so it wont affect the length of the rod (and no need to replace it if it is not leaking).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Brilliant, that's what I thought. I ordered the correct one to start with and annoyingly sent it back due to it being different to the one on there (2.5mm after the bracket). Need to reorder it again then and cut down the rod. Much appreciated 👍

IMG-20230509-WA0006.jpg

PXL_20230509_201359655.jpg

Interesting, I have the same long pushrod and short cylinder on my SE. Were these ever fitted as standard? If not why so many cars with them? What are they actually off?

I found out when I ordered a new set of seals and they didn't fit, right diameter different center hole. Put back as it was not actually leaking and a new slave and rod ordered which is still sat on my bench waiting to be fitted when next under the car.

I was able to adjust mine so no clutch issues, but interested in why so many cars seem to be fitted with these.

@Rob Warren if you ordered the Brittpart, you were right to send it back. They are known for poor quality and many in the Land Rover world, including myself, will never use any of their products for something important/ safety related/ hard to replace/ ... Unfortunately lately it is becoming more and more difficult to find quality parts. 😞 For clutch parts, I'd look for AP, Girling or TRW. Even if they are more expensive.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I just had some fun with a slave cylinder on another car. @Sparky

The length of the rod, by itself, is irrelevant. The "cup" in the piston that sits in the cylinder can be different lengths on difference slaves. This makes the rod sit further out or less far out. 

Using the old rod in a new slave which is NOT identical to the old slave can be a recipe for disaster.

First thing I would suggest doing if there is unexplained clutch slip is to bleed the slave just by opening and closing the bleed valve. This should expel any extra fluid that has somehow got in to the hydraulic system and is affecting the bite point. An easy first step...

Edited by LotuStuart
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LotuStuart said:

First thing I would suggest doing if there is unexplained clutch slip is to bleed the slave just by opening and closing the bleed valve. This should expel any extra fluid that has somehow got in to the hydraulic system and is affecting the bite point. An easy first step...

That won’t make any difference, Stuart. When the clutch pedal is released, fluid under pressure is pushed back into the master cylinder/reservoir, therefore there is no pressure, or excess fluid, left in the system.

Margate Exotics.

That’s what I thought. Unless the pedal has been allowed to rise up and then is pushed back-if a pedal stop rubber is removed then replaced for example. 

such an easy thing to try-even if it doesn’t help, it doesn’t hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...