Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlamp plexiglass - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlamp plexiglass

I cannot find a search facility here - normal or is it me??

Anyway, to the issue: I noticed yesterday that on one of my headlamps, there is a large area of a film that is peeling away. The glass underneath is, or appears, fine. Just this film coating peeling off.

1. Were the Evora headlamps sprayed with a protective film of any sort?

2. If so, what is it and can it all be removed and re-applied, and if so, how?

As usual, thanks for info!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The headlights aren't covered with a film, but they are sprayed with a clear coat from the factory that is supposed to delay/deter UV damage to the underlying plastic lens. Of course over time, UV ends up damaging the clear coat itself. 

Most will have the headlights refurbished; sand down the existing clear coat, polish smooth, and then apply a new clear coat. I would recommend after applying a new clear coat, that you also then put a UV-resistant film on top (like Xpel, 3M, etc.). 

• Gold FFM

Above is the cheapest option and will work just fine. As I was having other work done, mine were removed from the car and wrapped in a film so that they wouldn't peel. Theory is that they will last longer as there are no edges open to the world.

The only issue with having no clear coat over the sides/edge is that the films typically don't cover them, so now you're exposing bare plastic to UV, which will yellow over time. It might not be super noticeable though, since those areas are vertical and/or have the black plastic beneath them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 07/06/2023 at 20:05, Redwing said:

............... The Evora has areas of the lense that are black, ie, the top and the edges.  I reckon that it is the thermal expansion differential in sunlight, between the clear and black that causes the problem, or that the lacquer/coating is not suitable for using on black areas.  I have seen this on several Evoras, the flaking always starts at the top and sides.  In the future, if I am correct, then I would expect to see the film I have fitted start to mist in areas that are losing their adhesion or, hopefully, due to the flexibility of the clear film, this will not be an issue.............

I reckon you could be on to something there. My headlights were film-coated about 4 years ago and will need doing again soon because, just as you predicted, the film has started to lose adhesion and lift in the black areas, :( .

• Like 1

So I've done the film bit but as belt an braces when the company (I'm not good/patient enough to polish them myself) cleaned mine up they gave me a ceramic type coating to use every year as a UV protection. So I've added the film and then every year I clean the coating off and apply new as a belt and braces approach, especially for the edges the film doesn't cover.