Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How much trouble am I in... headers/exhaust content - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How much trouble am I in... headers/exhaust content

I have a full Larini headers, cat, valved silencer from a 400 on the way to me.

Planning to fit it to my LE. 

Hopefully it runs OK without check engine light issues.

But one of the conditions from the wife is that it wouldn't really be louder than the standard exhaust (non valved 2009, but 3rd cat delete currently)

I assume valve closed it might be a bit louder... or am I in real trouble?

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I haven't experienced the Larini, but even the post 2012 valved system is a lot louder than the original setup with the sports exhaust and -1 Cat in my experience.

I suspect with headers it's going to be even louder, so I expect you are going to be sleeping in the dog house 😂

Yes big big trouble, you’re really in deep deep sh1t, you might want to move out for a while and definitely take the LE with you 🤣

• Haha 1

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

5 hours ago, grog said:

I have a full Larini headers, cat, valved silencer from a 400 on the way to me.

Planning to fit it to my LE.

I’m not convinced that it is going to be a straight swap for you. I’ve got a feeling that some of the hangers are in different places between the original Evora and the 400. 

Have you got the 400 y-pipe as well?

I have got the Y pipe. See other thread for details.

But I think I have everything to not need it.

The larini headers go right to the cat. I got the larini sport cat, and that goes to the clubsport silencer , I think it's a full larini system head to exit.

Hope the hanger points work.... 

everything is fixable with enough gaffer tape! 

looking at the part diagrams, the only hanger looks to be on the corner of the 3rd cat, looks similar in position on the pre and post 400 models, so hoping it's all good. 

the main silencer hangers are a different diameter pin, there are a couple of ways to solve this, sleeve or new rubber i believe. 

wife is pregnant too... so it seems i'm taking my life in my hands with the noise. 

it's particularly sensitive as the Evora is her car.... the Elise s1 is mine, and very noisy already.

• Gold FFM

Probably best and far easier for marital bliss if you just send the parcel straight to me. You don’t need any more earache 😎

• Haha 1

Only here once

we have a Cayenne for baby lugging duties, although the Evora having 'isofix' certainly helped with the purchase negotiation, 

i'm half hoping that she won't drive it for a few months, an then somehow forget that it's near silent now, and will be way lounder with the new exhaust...... 

On 03/08/2023 at 15:25, grog said:

everything is fixable with enough gaffer tape! 

looking at the part diagrams, the only hanger looks to be on the corner of the 3rd cat, looks similar in position on the pre and post 400 models, so hoping it's all good. 

the main silencer hangers are a different diameter pin, there are a couple of ways to solve this, sleeve or new rubber i believe. 

wife is pregnant too... so it seems i'm taking my life in my hands with the noise. 

it's particularly sensitive as the Evora is her car.... the Elise s1 is mine, and very noisy already.

You’re playing with fire my friend and will be paying for years.  I got my kit car back on the road as a project when my wife had our first child.  It has a straight through side pipe. The only time I could have some time for myself and go for a drive was when baby was asleep.  Problem was that starting the car started the crying and that was that.

14 years later - Its still mentioned - every time I forget to put the bins out, am late home or look like I’m winning an argument - And no amount of gaffer tape can fix that!

The K&N will add more noise under acceleration- with a deeper throatier induction roar. Not sure it will add performance.

If it were me, I’d do the exhaust, enjoy the difference that makes for a while and then at a later stage add the filter.  You can then get a feel for the sound each element adds and whether you like it.

• Gold FFM
On 04/08/2023 at 22:43, grog said:

Anything else I should do whilst getting the exhaust fitted?

A quick chat with a divorce solicitor might be sensible 

Only here once

• 6 months later...

ok... well I am still alive..  but I thought you all deserve an update! Although the wife hasn't driven it yet, so maybe I'm on borrowed time.

the exhaust is on, it wasn't a 100% pain free fitting, the middle hanger needed adjustment to line up with the mount on the car, probably because the exhaust is supposed to be for a 400. or that my car is a launch edition?
I think the heat shielding somewhere needed a tweak, maybe around the ARB?

for now I have decided to temporarily hook the valve up for always quiet mode. 
currently I have the vacuum line tee'd into the line that goes from the manifold to airbox, this means if I open the throttle above about 1/2 (for more than a second) the exhaust goes into loud mode.

I'll be moving the line to tee into the one from airbox to vacuum solenoid, to give always quiet mode for a week or so. 
I might try always loud mode for a week, but i think it'll be too loud for my taste. 
I have also ordered parts to hook up a vacuum solenoid in the factory position (as per MY12+) and a remote kit so i can set one of 3 modes. 1.Loud, 2.Quiet 3.sport button - so switchable on dash, and opens at high RPM with the airbox flap.
currently it sounds very nice, throaty and no drone not too loud. with my foot down, so I think valve open, it's quite loud, i can hear the noise bouncing off walls!

another interesting thing, the exhaust tip seems to stick out the rear clam a little further, maybe 1/2 or 1" or maybe it's supposed to be like that so when left running on the drive it doesn't cook the clam?, I prefer the look of the twin tips, so maybe something I might change later on anyway.

quick update, 
first drive today with the valve tee'd off the red hose going to the airbox solenoid (from the vacuum resevoir in the airbox lid) 

much better, it's now socially acceptable. it's louder than the deathly quiet LE silencer, but i wouldn't say it's loud at all. 

just got to wait a couple of weeks for the air solenoid and remote to arrive, then I can have switchable Loud mode

• Like 1