Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Random electrical plug - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Random electrical plug

Gjk

• Gold FFM

Does anybody know what this plug is? Car is a 1991 esprit turbo se. It’s situated behind the ecu in the right hand quarter light panel by the loom disconnects for removing the boot floor.

225D0781-3E19-45D0-9577-107309DB9D2A.jpeg

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

It's likely to be for something no longer used on the SE, like the purge pump. The brown wires could be permanently live, I'd check and if so tape them up. I've had a look in the manual, but couldn't find any connector with those colors. I do remember some unused plugs in that area in my car as well.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

That is what I’m hoping. I’ve had another good rummage around in that area this morning and can’t locate anything to plug it into. It is on the car loom side and not the boot floor relays and other gubbins side. I’ll get the cockpit back together and see if she runs!

thanks for looking in the manual, electrical diagrams are not my strong point.

13 hours ago, Escape said:

The brown wires could be permanently live, I'd check and if so tape them up.

Brown in an Audi and other cars is usually chassis/earth/ground. 
Does Lotus use them as +ve?

In older Lotus (and countless contemporary BL applications)  Black is Earth, Brown  is unfused permanent live, Pink is fused permanent live and white is ignition, so would be powered on by the ignition key.

(Same as your Spitfire Stuart!)

Edited by 910Esprit

Just to add to the above, fused permanent can also be purple. And fused ignition is normally green.

image.jpeg

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

In older Lotus (and countless contemporary BL applications)  Black is Earth, Brown  is unfused permanent live, Pink is fused permanent live and white is ignition, so would be powered on by the ignition key.

(Same as your Spitfire Stuart!)

I take your point, but this is a 1991 Lotus, not a 1969 Spitfire. Is 1991 considered old? Eeep!

• Gold FFM

Alas 1991 is considered old (32 to be precise) but, not quite old enough to be classic 😎

the plug in question appears to be redundant as the car started fine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

What about yellow?

Lotus uses yellow for auxiliary, yellow-green is used for the radio. For the other colors they seem to follow the Lucas conventions.Lotuscolors.pdf

And yes, anything from the last millennium can be considered old. As can anyone. 😉