Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Will it go in my garage - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Will it go in my garage

TrevS

Hi all

So I'm having a bit of a panic. I've put a deposit down on an 2010 Evora S and have been sorting the garage out to get it ready for the cars arrival. My garage has hump as you approach the entry which on a normal car I wouldn't worry about but I'm seriously concerned that the front might bottom out/catch when driving in. I've had a measure and mocked up what I think hump looks like in terms of dimensions and approach angle below. What would be really helpful is if somebody could measure the ground clearance of their Evora. Ideally I need the measurement from the ground to the very front tip of the bumper/license plate and the measurement at the lowest point of the front bumper from to the ground.

This is what I've calculated. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Trev

image.png.564634ed7f77621bee9decf4dd1cf62f.png

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Spot on @Rambo. The 'Approach Angle' of the Evora is 11.5o. This is the angle from the bottom of the tyre to the bottom of the front splitter and it's a generous number compared to many cars. The Evora also has a couple of metal sacrificial bumps under the splitter to take any impacts rather than ruin the bottom of the splitter.

image.jpeg

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

So do I assume that the lowest point of the car from that table is 125mm and then draw a line at 11.5 degrees to show approach angle? 

If so then my ramp has an approach angle of 9.5 degrees and the highest point is 11.5cm so both under the official measurements. However that’s not a real world measurement so what is your real ground clearance? Does it match the official figures of 125mm?

Trev

Mid-laden means with 2 passengers and half a tank of fuel so chances are it was measured for real rather than calculated. The Evora is fine over speed bumps etc due to the decent ground clearance at the front and generous Approach Angle. I've just been out and measured mine with no-one in it but a full tank and it's pretty much spot on at 125mm.  

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Before I fitted the aftermarket bumper, which does hang a bit lower with a longer overhang, my S1 would clear speedhumps that my completely standard daily-driver Alfa 159 wouldn't if that's any help.

56 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Mid-laden means with 2 passengers and half a tank of fuel so chances are it was measured for real rather than calculated. The Evora is fine over speed bumps etc due to the decent ground clearance at the front and generous Approach Angle. I've just been out and measured mine with no-one in it but a full tank and it's pretty much spot on at 125mm.  

Thanks Bibs that's super helpful. The car I'm buying has an after market front splitter so might see if the owner can remove as I think it might be a little too close with it on.

Thanks Gez. I wish I'd have taken the plunge on your car at the time but I just wasn't sure I wanted a red one. Fast forward a few months and I've bought a red one that looks nearly identical to your old car 🤦‍♂️.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrevS said:

Thanks Bibs that's super helpful. The car I'm buying has an after market front splitter so might see if the owner can remove as I think it might be a little too close with it on.

Just buy it then try it. If the aftermarket splitter scrapes, you'll be going slow enough to do no damage and hear it, and also, you can them usually just unbolt it and pull it off (it will likely just be bolted up, but may also have had double sided/tape or a silicone type as extra.

Legally, speed bumps can be no higher than 100mm, and Evora's cope with that brilliant. If you've got something higher than that then one needs to ask why.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Our Mini Cooper scrapes, I think it's the plastic flaps in front of the front wheels either side. 

The Evora will scrape on the odd speed bump but more often than not it's the mudflaps behind the front wheels. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Precisely what Bibs said. It's almost always the mud flaps that scrape. It's not quite as good as your average car on approach angle though so you do still need to be careful.

Breakdown lorries need outriggers to get it onboard so it's still on the less practical side.

It's better than I expected in a lot of ways but there are always jobs that you want to do as a new owner. I am very particular and like a more factory OEM look so after getting it home and having a look over my list is looking something like this

·       Remove aftermarket front splitter

·       Remove window stickers

·       Remove vinyl wrap on fluids hatch

·       Change A pillar trims from carbon to gloss black

·       Respray the front mouth mesh grille

·       Interior door handles need retrimming

·       Look at seeing if the gear cables adjusted to improve 1st gear selection

·       Get calipers repainted (not urgent as not terrible)

• Like 1